Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2020, 01:25 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Banned

I am considering a K1 mk-II

I have a few technical questions if you guys don't mind.

First off, I am into all types of photography, except people photography and portraits. BORING. Thats just my opinion,
Nature, Landscape, maco, anything but people.

Presently and for some time now, I have been using a Pentax K5 16.3MP
So here is my dilemma :

I do quite a bit of macro photography.
I use this lens.
PENTAX-D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR

But that is not all I use.
I also use the Pentax AF160fc macro ring light system. It is by far the best on the planet for a Pentax system.
There are not even any close comparisons in my opinion. It was very expensive and mine has seen very little use.
I may have 100 flashes on it. It's Superbly nice. I mean really nice.
It has also been discontinued and cannot be purchased any longer. And I am not parting with it.
No way. I will stay with Pentax systems forever, just for that very reason.

My question here is , Will the full frame K1 allow me to use my current Lens and ring flash system for macro photography?
I know there is some crop feature on the k1 but do not know if it would be worth moving to the K1 if I'm going to end up with 16.3 MP which I already get from the k5.
Main goal is better image quality, but the K5 is real good so, what will I see? If anything?
I have wanted a full frame for quite some time now but I am unsure that the results I'm looking for vs money would be worth it.

Below is but one example of what my current system can do.

03-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Your setup will still work fine, the 100 macro is a full frame lens

Excellent photo by the way.
03-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes the DFA series is full frame sensor capable

QuoteQuote:
smc PENTAX-D FA, HD PENTAX-D FA

Current (third) generation of autofocus lenses for the 24 x 36 mm "full frame" format
Sub-category: D FA* (professional grade)
Image format: 24 x 36 mm "full frame"
Suitable for APS-C digital sensor format and the 24 x 36 mm "full frame" digital sensor format
Autofocus
Only the two earliest D FA lenses have an aperture ring which makes them suitable also for film cameras
Automatic aperture setting is available
In production . . .
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

here is a couple of tools that might be of interest

Check Lens Compatibility with Your Pentax Camera

Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

if not sure about a K 1 or K 1 II

consider renting one for a try out

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...ml#post4542890

QuoteQuote:
Description:
A ring flash primarily for macro photography but it can also be used at longer distances, e.g. for portraits.

The ring flash can be set to only emit light from one side thus providing for some shadow and depth.

The flash is compatible with all PENTAX SLR/D-SLR cameras with a hot shoe. For cameras with no TTL or P-TTL flash automation, the flash can be used in its manual mode.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-af-160fc-auto-macro-rin...#ixzz6Ff6gwZYa

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-03-2020 at 02:02 PM.
03-03-2020, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your set will be fine as bertwert says and you won't need to use crop mode. The view will be wider, that might allow you to get closer?, I'm not into macro though.

The K-1ii will excel everywhere else too, it is rammed full of useful features, the third wheel and moveable screen come to mind.

It might seem a little intimidating at first, but soon you realise what a solid choice you made. It's a keeper for most of those who buy it.
I won't part with mine.

Last edited by Kevin B123; 03-03-2020 at 01:59 PM. Reason: TYPO
03-03-2020, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K1-II and 100mm WR macro lens work great together.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
03-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
So my pentax af160fc ring flash ??? Yes?
03-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I use my K1 and my K5 with my DFA 100 Macro F 2.8. Good combos and if you want to do some available light portraits...at the risk of being boring. .. the 100 Macro will do an excellent job.
BTW very good pix.

03-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LightSpeed Quote
So my pentax af160fc ring flash ??? Yes?
that is what the review says

see post no. 3
03-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a few technical questions if you guys don't mind.

First off, I am into all types of photography, except people photography and portraits. BORING. Thats just my opinion,
Nature, Landscape, maco, anything but people.

Presently and for some time now, I have been using a Pentax K5 16.3MP
So here is my dilemma :

I do quite a bit of macro photography.
I use this lens.
PENTAX-D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR

But that is not all I use.
I also use the Pentax AF160fc macro ring light system. It is by far the best on the planet for a Pentax system.
There are not even any close comparisons in my opinion. It was very expensive and mine has seen very little use.
I may have 100 flashes on it. It's Superbly nice. I mean really nice.
It has also been discontinued and cannot be purchased any longer. And I am not parting with it.
No way. I will stay with Pentax systems forever, just for that very reason.

My question here is , Will the full frame K1 allow me to use my current Lens and ring flash system for macro photography?
I know there is some crop feature on the k1 but do not know if it would be worth moving to the K1 if I'm going to end up with 16.3 MP which I already get from the k5.
Main goal is better image quality, but the K5 is real good so, what will I see? If anything?
I have wanted a full frame for quite some time now but I am unsure that the results I'm looking for vs money would be worth it.

Below is but one example of what my current system can do.
I have gone from the K01 to the K1 and just love the step up. But something to consider - for a given lens with the subject filling the frame you end up with significantly less depth of field with the full frame. So much so in macro that I often step back a bit and so the result is pretty well an apsc image
03-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The way I see it you have two real choices:

Crop vs. FF

In the FF corner: K-1 mk ii
In the crop corner: KP/K-3mkII/K-70/K-New

In favor of crop for macro:
  • * higher density of pixels (24 vs. < 16) gives higher detail at the same macro focus range.
    * lighter
    * cheaper
    * devil you know as far as framing

in favor of K1 mk II:
  • * most advanced Pentax to date.
    * can "emulate" your K-5 in crop mode, same size pixels, etc.
    * Opens a world of wider perspective from lenses you already own. Those macros could offer the same level of detail as today but with more context.
    * support for electronic aperture lenses - not many to select from right now.

So there you have it.
03-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I much preffer to hang out with my K1 than with people.... so it will probally be a good fit for you as well.
03-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your macro flash should work fine with the K-1 mkII

PENTAX AF 160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
03-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I have gone from the K5 to the K-1ii I can confirm that you will be amazed with the ability of the K-1. The K5 is a lovely camera but the K-1ii knocks it out of the park.
03-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Overall the K1 is of course a big step up. If all you're concerned about is mostly macro though....you may be better served with higher pixel density of a KP
03-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have the K-1, PENTAX-D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR and the Pentax AF160fc ringflash that you have too.

My answer is yes it will all work fine BUT you won't get any significant improvement in going FF for macro work. I would be more inclined to go with a Pentax KP as you will have 24 MP to work with as opposed to 15 MP with the K-1 cropped when making macro images as you tend to do.