Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2020, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rqy99g Quote
I can see the benefit of an articulating screen, in particular for awkward and low locations.
For low locations the tilt-out screen is better because it doesn't take up room to the side of the camera. It is also handy for on-tripod work with the tripod set at a low position, or at waist height, where It saves having to bend over. In addition to checking settings, etc. you can shoot in live view instead of using the VF if you wish.

The swing-out screen as on the K-70 can be reversed, protecting the screen when not in use. It can also be useful for doing a selfie with a friend using a WA lens. Like the K-S2, the K-70 actually is designed with a dual-purpose button for such selfie use positioned for being a second shutter release button when the camera is held backwards. Pretty neat designing.

Both types of screens have advantages of their own.

---------- Post added 03-05-20 at 12:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
If you have done a comparative study of the K-70 and KP (links avalable previously somewhere in this thread) you will not have failed to notice the superior photographic technology and feature set of the KP. The K-70 is certainly much more than a "perfectly adequate" camera, but the KP is on even higher levels than that. To list a few: the AF module, the metering module, the mirror/shutter/aperture mechanisms, the electronic shutter, the three control e-dials. If your next purchase will be your only recent camera, and you expect to be using it for many years, then I would consider the best advice is to be patient, waiting for the next round of special offer price reductions, then get a new KP with 2-year Pentax warranty from a Pentax dealer (e.g.SRS), hopefully for between £500 and £600. If any new K-70-level model is released, it is likely to cost at least as much as the discounted little gem that is the KP.

Philip
Absolutely. Much better set of controls and other useful features, in addition to a better more durable build quality and the availability of a battery grip. With the battery grip, the combined weight is about the same as the K-3 II without one, and will provide more battery life than the K-3. It also provides a lot of gripping surface for better carrying balance with larger lenses, as well as convenient duplicate controls for doing vertical shooting.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-05-2020 at 12:08 PM.
03-06-2020, 05:55 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yet again thanks for the great advice, information and words of wisdom.

I love forums: )
03-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-70 has the accelerator chip.... it's the only new tech I'm currently interested in, so in that sense it's probably good for years to come. My wife is still shooting her K-5. Changes since the K-5 have been relatively insignificant.
03-07-2020, 12:58 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
SRS had it for £358 (body only) on 4th January this year...
Was it really the KP at £358, that seems exceptionally cheap and doesn't seem to have been picked up in the price watch thread.

03-07-2020, 01:32 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Changes since the K-5 have been relatively insignificant.

That's an "interesting" opinion ... but who am I to comment, my *istDS still takes perfectly adequate pictures
03-07-2020, 02:00 AM   #36
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Was it really the KP at £358, that seems exceptionally cheap and doesn't seem to have been picked up in the price watch thread.
My apologies - I mis-read the thread. I was referring to the K-70 as originally mentioned by the OP, not the KP that was subsequently brought into the discussion

From camerapricebuster.co.uk I see that the KP has been priced at just £526 and the K-70 at just £358 in the last 90 days...
03-07-2020, 02:15 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My apologies - I mis-read the thread. I was referring to the K-70 as originally mentioned by the OP, not the KP that was subsequently brought into the discussion

From camerapricebuster.co.uk I see that the KP has been priced at just £526 and the K-70 at just £358 in the last 90 days...
I thought it might have been the K-70 you were referring to.