Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What’s stopped me from getting a K1

I love both my K5 and my K-01,

I have nevertheless been pondering upgrading the K5 for some time now (though would not consider parting with the K-01).

Ricoh has announced a new APS-C flagship but I think I’d want my K5 DSLR replacement to have a 24x36mm “full frame” sensor in order to take advantage of the full image circles of the legacy glass in my lens connection.

Here are the main reasons why the K1 has not enticed me:

- I have a lot of DA lenses and the sensor resolution of the K1 in crop mode is 16MP, so no upgrade from the K5 in that respect;
- the heft of the K1.

What would make me buy a Pentax “full frame” DSLR:
- marginal increase in sensor resolution from 36MP so I can at least tell myself that I’m also upgrading the APS-C resolution for my DA lenses in crop mode (more than 16MP);
- size factor: a more svelte camera that doesn’t compromise on battery power
- attention to aesthetics would be nice: there has been a resurgence in interest in film and film cameras and a certain other manufacturer has caught on and brought back that aesthetic. Ricoh should develop a “FF” DSLR using the design and materials of the ME Super or SuperA.

Just some thoughts. Maybe others were thinking the same thing.

03-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree.. also full frame body/lenses cost much more..
Generally, the burst buffer is less on full frame too as the larger files need more time to offload.
I am really happy with the compromises that aps-c provide and look forward to upgrading to K-New when (if) it's announced and released!
03-06-2020, 09:23 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtl_pentaxian Quote
I love both my K5 and my K-01,

I have nevertheless been pondering upgrading the K5 for some time now (though would not consider parting with the K-01).

Ricoh has announced a new APS-C flagship but I think I’d want my K5 DSLR replacement to have a 24x36mm “full frame” sensor in order to take advantage of the full image circles of the legacy glass in my lens connection.

Here are the main reasons why the K1 has not enticed me:

- I have a lot of DA lenses and the sensor resolution of the K1 in crop mode is 16MP, so no upgrade from the K5 in that respect;
- the heft of the K1.

What would make me buy a Pentax “full frame” DSLR:
- marginal increase in sensor resolution from 36MP so I can at least tell myself that I’m also upgrading the APS-C resolution for my DA lenses in crop mode (more than 16MP);
- size factor: a more svelte camera that doesn’t compromise on battery power
- attention to aesthetics would be nice: there has been a resurgence in interest in film and film cameras and a certain other manufacturer has caught on and brought back that aesthetic. Ricoh should develop a “FF” DSLR using the design and materials of the ME Super or SuperA.

Just some thoughts. Maybe others were thinking the same thing.
- Some (most?) DA lenses cover far more than the APS-C image circle, so if you shoot DA lenses on the K-1 without using crop mode, you may have far more than 16MP.

- The K-1 is small for a FF DSLR. Have you scrutinized pictures of it? There is almost no wasted space. Things like pentaprism, IBIS, card slots, the D-Li90 battery... take up a significant amount of volume. Amazingly. the K-1 is no larger than the entry-level (and comparatively feature-poor) Nikon D610.
03-06-2020, 09:32 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

The K-1 is such a compact, solid piece on machinery, it appeals to your sense of touch and sight when you initially pick it up. Then when you actually use it, the bright OVF and great Pentax menus and controllability make the experience even better. I handled one at a camera store back when I only had a K-50 and had the salesperson take it away before I became too enamored of it. Then I got one that was a great deal here in the forums and if I grab a camera, it is almost always my K-1.

So, initially it was the price and realizing I was nowhere close to doing the camera justice, (Status unchanged!) But when a great offer appeared here I jumped on it two years after my initial impression at the camera store. It was such a good deal I think it had been up for 6 minutes or so before I messaged the seller to claim it! There were a number of other messages shortly after that.

03-06-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
- Some (most?) DA lenses cover far more than the APS-C image circle, so if you shoot DA lenses on the K-1 without using crop mode, you may have far more than 16MP.

- The K-1 is small for a FF DSLR. Have you scrutinized pictures of it? There is almost no wasted space. Things like pentaprism, IBIS, card slots, the D-Li90 battery... take up a significant amount of volume. Amazingly. the K-1 is no larger than the entry-level (and comparatively feature-poor) Nikon D610.
You’re right that they did fit a lot into the K-1 package. I used the camera size page to compare with other models. I’d love it if they could bring it down to a7II dimensions (edit: I acknowledge that this is a mirrorless camera) but without losing the D-Li90 battery. I’d also love it if they could give it some throwback flair.
03-06-2020, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’d love it if they could bring it down to a7II dimensions
I've been playing with a Pentax MX lately.. incredibly compact for a 35mm camera.. imagine a dslr MX!
03-06-2020, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I agree.. also full frame body/lenses cost much more..
Generally, the burst buffer is less on full frame too as the larger files need more time to offload.
I am really happy with the compromises that aps-c provide and look forward to upgrading to K-New when (if) it's announced and released!
I think that if I bought one, I’d be content with the two of the three amigos (31 and 77) my FA 50 1.4 and the legacy glass I have covering the wider and longer ends.

---------- Post added 03-06-20 at 09:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I've been playing with a Pentax MX lately.. incredibly compact for a 35mm camera.. imagine a dslr MX!
I have the SuperProgram which is awesome and super compact for a 35mm camera.

03-06-2020, 10:13 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You’re right that they did fit a lot into the K-1 package. I used the camera size page to compare with other models. I’d love it if they could bring it down to a7II dimensions (edit: I acknowledge that this is a mirrorless camera) but without losing the D-Li90 battery. I’d also love it if they could give it some throwback flair.
I guess if you envision your K-01 with your K-5's prism housing on it, that would be the absolute smallest such a DSLR could be.

Keep in mind that the Sony A7 has a much shorter registration distance for lenses - Sony E-mount is 18mm while Pentax K-mount is 45mm. That difference accounts for a whole inch in body depth!

I think the KP is Pentax's solution for folks like you who want a small-ish DSLR with some retro flair, but of course it is not FF.
03-06-2020, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what its worth, the K-1 in APS-C mode shoots 6.5 fps (not bad) and has a 30 shot buffer (better than the K-5). Doesn't mean you should get it to primarily shoot in that mode, but it isn't a slouch there either.
03-06-2020, 10:49 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

MY K-1 is my goto landscape camera, with little more than the DFA 28-105. The K-3 is my goto wildlife / birding camera. My Lumix ZS100 is my new pocket camera. You don't have enough cameras...

Honestly, I'm not getting rid of any of them.
03-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

attention to aesthetics would be nice: there has been a resurgence in interest in film and film cameras and a certain other manufacturer has caught on and brought back that aesthetic. Ricoh should develop a “FF” DSLR using the design and materials of the ME Super or SuperA.

Frankly, I don't recall a single Pentax flagship camera at least since the K-7 whose designers wouldn't have paid exceptional attention to aesthetics. All of these cameras have looked, felt, and performed beautifully, and they were all built with top-notch materials. In fact, they won several international design awards.

In my book, retro-designs are to a large extent motivated by nostalgia, that human tendency "of fishing the past / From the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts / And recycling it for more than it's worth" (yeah, that's borrowed from the old Baz Luhrmann song).

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 03-06-2020 at 11:35 AM.
03-06-2020, 12:29 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess if you envision your K-01 with your K-5's prism housing on it, that would be the absolute smallest such a DSLR could be.
And I’d probably go for something like that!

I think the KP is Pentax's solution for folks like you who want a small-ish DSLR with some retro flair, but of course it is not FF.
Exactly! Not full frame and doesn’t have the DLi90 battery, unless I get the grip. Truth be told, I would have probably bought the KP had the design engineers figured out a way to jam the DLi90 in there.

---------- Post added 03-06-20 at 12:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Frankly, I don't recall a single Pentax flagship camera at least since the K-7 whose designers wouldn't have paid exceptional attention to aesthetics. All of these cameras have looked, felt, and performed beautifully, and they were all built with top-notch materials. In fact, they won several international design awards.

In my book, retro-designs are to a large extent motivated by nostalgia, that human tendency "of fishing the past / From the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts / And recycling it for more than it's worth" (yeah, that's borrowed from the old Baz Luhrmann song).
I agree, they’ve been nicer-looking than other brands since the K-7, which I also owned. Didn’t think much of the K10D’s looks, which I also owned, but I did think the K20D was kind of cool. Never owned that one.

Nothing wrong with being motivated by nostalgia to revisit pleasing aesthetics cues.
03-06-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only you can answer if the K-1 is for you or not and it sounds like you have worked it out and looking for some validation?

Your reasoning looks fair but the only thing I would like to comment on is your comment about heft. I went from a K-5 & K-01 (which I still have) to a K-1, and I was pleasantly surprised at how the K-1 feels in my hands. For my hands its pretty much the perfect shaped grip and the weight feels just right (and not heavy like I feared too). Even size is surprisingly close to the K-5 and I don't really nice the difference. The lenses are a factor though, if you buy modern FF lenses they are big (personally I only have the DFA 28-105 which is small enough for me) but if you have (and are happy with) the older glass (FA limiteds are wonderful on the K-1), then its a relatively compact system.
03-06-2020, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

- the heft of the K1.
You might add that you have no need to shoot a larger format?

Almost all folk choosing a K-1 want the 24x36mm FF format and have that desire for any number of reasons. In many cases, the desire is expressed as a "need". Those who don't need or at least strongly want to move to 24x36mm should not do so. Put another way, if you were interested in the larger format, but put off by the bulk/weight, you would be looking at mirrorless FF options from another maker. That said, those interested in a feature set upgrade from the K-5 in APS-C might be well-served by the KP or perhaps by the coming K-new model. Those wanting a significant upgrade over a K-5 in a lighter package should seriously consider the K-70.

Steve
03-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You might add that you have no need to shoot a larger format?

Almost all folk choosing a K-1 want the 24x36mm FF format and have that desire for any number of reasons. In many cases, the desire is expressed as a "need". Those who don't need or at least strongly want to move to 24x36mm should not do so. Put another way, if you were interested in the larger format, but put off by the bulk/weight, you would be looking at mirrorless FF options from another maker. That said, those interested in a feature set upgrade from the K-5 in APS-C might be well-served by the KP or perhaps by the coming K-new model. Those wanting a significant upgrade over a K-5 in a lighter package should seriously consider the K-70.

Steve
You may be right that I don’t actually need a larger format.

I had actually considered the 24MP a7II as it’s been seeking for CAD1,300 of late, but have decided against it because I don’t feel like adapting all of my Pentax glass.

As far as the ergonomics of the K5 go, to me it’s the camera perfected. It love it so much that it must be a significant part of my hesitation to part with it.

---------- Post added 03-06-20 at 01:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Only you can answer if the K-1 is for you or not and it sounds like you have worked it out and looking for some validation?

Your reasoning looks fair but the only thing I would like to comment on is your comment about heft. I went from a K-5 & K-01 (which I still have) to a K-1, and I was pleasantly surprised at how the K-1 feels in my hands. For my hands its pretty much the perfect shaped grip and the weight feels just right (and not heavy like I feared too). Even size is surprisingly close to the K-5 and I don't really nice the difference. The lenses are a factor though, if you buy modern FF lenses they are big (personally I only have the DFA 28-105 which is small enough for me) but if you have (and are happy with) the older glass (FA limiteds are wonderful on the K-1), then its a relatively compact system.
Not validation but the (probably vain) hope that a Ricoh engineer or marketing person reads this. 😉