Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #1

Pictures disappeared! please help

Hi all,

Just have a query which regards my K100D.

Just did a job and took lots of pics on the Ultra2 1GB Sandisk card. The problem is that when i got home I discovered that the last lot of pictures I took were not on the card. (say around 15% of all pictures taken) The card was nearing full but there was available shots to be taken on the card, so they did initially store. Any ideas as to why this would be? And also if there is any way to retrieve the pictures. I do not know if it makes any difference but the conditions were pretty humid at around 30 degrees celcius.

I would really appreciate any help at all regarding this.

Cheers

Paul

10-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by k100pip Quote
Hi all,

Just did a job and took lots of pics on the Ultra2 1GB Sandisk card. The problem is that when i got home I discovered that the last lot of pictures I took were not on the card. (say around 15% of all pictures taken) The card was nearing full but there was available shots to be taken on the card, so they did initially store. Any ideas as to why this would be? And also if there is any way to retrieve the pictures. I do not know if it makes any difference but the conditions were pretty humid at around 30 degrees celcius.

Cheers

Paul
I had the same problem on my K200D. I switched the brands of my cards and everything works fine now.

-Yale
10-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bummer!! I "lost" about 50 pics of my grandkids - tried a free recovery program - didn't work worth a d! Found another one (Zero Assumption) and it worked fairly well - recovered most of the images.

However, from what I've heard, the best program out there is RescuePRO from SanDisk. Comes free with a SanDisk Extreme III card. Not cheap, but you get a good card and the SW - pretty good deal.

I don't know where "wirral" is, but Circuit City here in the US sells the 2GB Extreme III card (with RescuePRO) for $34.99. No affiliation.
10-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

LExar's is not bad... if you google around, there's a link to dl it free somewhere
here it is ... http://store.lexar.com/imagerescue3/

if this post is against rules please feel free to remove

10-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had a similar problem due to a defective memory card. I could see there were files on the card, but neither my camera nor my computer would display the images. I was able to download a couple of photos and they were clearly corrupted. One was half photo and half gray. The other was half a photo of a flower, and the other half looked like parts of two other photos.

I was not able to retrieve the lost files with my data recovery program. I have used this program to successully recover files that had been accidentally deleted, but it was no help for this problem. All it would tell me is that portions of these files had been overwritten. Fortunately for me these photos were just the usual nonsense, so not a big problem.

Best of luck, I hope you can get your photos back.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-27-2008 at 03:13 PM.
10-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can your camera display the images? If so, download using the USB cable rather than a card reader.

Is this a card you've used successfully before have you filled it up before? Have you successfully used the card *reader* before on a card that full? I ask because some very old card readers cannot handle SD cards bigger than 512MB - they'll show only the first 512MB of pictures.
11-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Does anybody know if you can use other recovery cd's from other SanDisk cards or are they card specific?

Last edited by craig1024; 11-11-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: misspelled word
11-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k100pip Quote
Hi all,

Cheers

Paul
Have you checked for multiple directories on the card?

11-12-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Ditto on the other comments here.

I've seen a similar problem with my daughters P&S Canon - that seemed to resolve itself when I took the card out of the camera, read it in my reader as a test, then put it back in her camera (with no changes BTW). Weird but true. Interestingly, her card was nearly full as well, and in that case it was a Lexar. Hmmmmm......

The only thing I'd like to add is that after downloading the images successfully, the card is re-formatted in camera. This ensures a clean FAT (file allocation table) - which, being based on older PC technology (ie from DOS), can be corrupted. SDHC cards (2GB and above) are supposed to use FAT32 (Windows 9x). I'm not aware of any NTFS formatted cards (WinNT/2000/XP/Vista) although an operating system might support it.

FAT/FAT32 format apparently allows the card to be checked with standard MS tools like ScanDisk. Never tried it, but its another option.

Good luck!
11-12-2008, 03:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
However, from what I've heard, the best program out there is RescuePRO from SanDisk. Comes free with a SanDisk Extreme III card. Not cheap, but you get a good card and the SW - pretty good deal.

I may have an extra rescue pro disc from my Extreme III purchases if you would like one to try.

Adam
11-12-2008, 05:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by craig1024 Quote
Does anybody know if you can use other recovery cd's from other SanDisk cards or are they card specific?
You can use RescuePro on other SanDisk cards. I just don't know whether you can use it with other vendor's cards.

I had a defective card once (not a SanDisk). Whenever I tried to read the card with a Windows PC the PC would crash. It turned out, that it was one image right in the middle of the total memory capacity, that was corrupted, so I thought, that the bank switching was malfunctioning in the card.

I could recover all photos, except this single one right in the "middle" of the card, by reading the card out on a Mac, which seems, wasn't trouble by the directory problems of the card (cards have a FAT format, whereas the Mac natively uses HFS+). May be you have access to a Mac, that could be helpful.

Ben
11-12-2008, 05:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have used PC-Tools "File Recover" to recover files inadvertantly deleted from a memory card. It's not free but it works well

I have not yet (happily) had a loss of data from a bad card.

For the OP I guess the real question I have is, are the missing files continous in file name and shutter activations? By this I mean are the missing photo's a single sequence of saved files, and / or by inspecting the EXIF data in the photos, are the photos saved sequential in terms of shutter activations.

Just trying to determine by these questions as to whether the camera took images between those on the card, and did not record them, or whether it just stopped recording.
11-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
You can use RescuePro on other SanDisk cards. I just don't know whether you can use it with other vendor's cards.

I had a defective card once (not a SanDisk). Whenever I tried to read the card with a Windows PC the PC would crash. It turned out, that it was one image right in the middle of the total memory capacity, that was corrupted, so I thought, that the bank switching was malfunctioning in the card.

I could recover all photos, except this single one right in the "middle" of the card, by reading the card out on a Mac, which seems, wasn't trouble by the directory problems of the card (cards have a FAT format, whereas the Mac natively uses HFS+). May be you have access to a Mac, that could be helpful.

Ben
RescuePro will work on any card. The file system is identical regardless of the brand, and the program is working with files only.