Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Just discovered something interesting about my K10D

While playing around with my K10D i stumbled upon a feature that i had never seen before, when using a wireless remote on the k10D, with the 3 sec delayed timer it functions as a 3sec mirror lock-up. I had a look in the manual (first time i have opened it) and saw no mention of this feature, I was annoyed when my cable release broke as it reduced my ability to use MLU with out touching the camera (thus defeating the point of trying to reduce vibrations) but with this it enables me to use it again, still no bulb but better then nothing :P

03-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
While playing around with my K10D i stumbled upon a feature that i had never seen before, when using a wireless remote on the k10D, with the 3 sec delayed timer it functions as a 3sec mirror lock-up. I had a look in the manual (first time i have opened it) and saw no mention of this feature, I was annoyed when my cable release broke as it reduced my ability to use MLU with out touching the camera (thus defeating the point of trying to reduce vibrations) but with this it enables me to use it again, still no bulb but better then nothing :P
Could specify what you mean by no bulb? To get the camera to work on bulb I simply switch it to AF manual as sensing may not work due to low light conditions.
03-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
Yup, that's pretty nifty.

Bulb mode works with the IR remote - you just have to keep holding it down. Okay, so it won't let you take a two-hour exposure, but still.
03-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Yup, that's pretty nifty.

Bulb mode works with the IR remote - you just have to keep holding it down. Okay, so it won't let you take a two-hour exposure, but still.
Sure it will. Duct Tape!!!

03-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting this info, Cideway. My DS2 doesn't do this, but I've never tried it with my K10D.

Thanks again,

Jer
03-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe when I got my IR remote the manual said something about a limit on how many times it was good for triggering the camera. I think 40,000 comes to mind (again with the battery limits.) and then you had to send it back to Pentax for them to replace the battery. If Pentax sold it for twice as much and put a better battery in it or made it a lot bigger if you could get 60,000 out of it. I wonder how fast using it in bulb mode uses up?

DAZ
03-06-2007, 05:22 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
and then you had to send it back to Pentax for them to replace the battery.

DAZ
You can easily replace the battery yourself, just remove the 2 screws on the underside of the remote control.

Jean.

03-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #8

Good to know

I did not know that! That will come in very handy when shooting a certain mountain............should I ever bother to do that again.
03-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Inactive Account

The mirror lockup happens automatically even with just using the 2sec timer in the camera. That I beleive is in the manual.
03-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paulypentax Quote
The mirror lockup happens automatically even with just using the 2sec timer in the camera. That I beleive is in the manual.
Yes, but on previous Pentax models it did *not* happen when using the IR remote, even on 3s delay.
03-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought the wireless remote to use with the DS. Thought It would be great to trigger the camera without touching it and use mirror lock up. Didn't work that way. Can't select mirror lock up and wireless remota at the same time on DS or K cameras (except K10D). Never used remote. K10D turned the wireless remote into one of the most used features. Adding the 3 sec mirror lock up (2 sec is a little short) and the sensor in the back is the cats meow. The only thing they could do to improve it is add a "t" setting. This would allow you to hit button on remote once to start exposure and hit button a second time to stop exposure - all wirelessly. Olympus already does this on E500. Love the K10D.
thanks
barondla
03-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
As soon as my K10D is on a tripod, the grip is opened and the remote is out, now with the 3sec lock-up, i am finding that the remote is the second best investment that i have made in regards to accessories (my tripod being number one :P)
03-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cideway, beautiful shot!
thanks
barondla