Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #16
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 20
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I won't repeat the excellent information you've already received, but I'll offer some opinions.

The modified aperture control block on the K-70 seems to have drastically reduced the chances of failure, even though it uses the same solenoid part. Reports have been way, way fewer than with the earlier K-50 and K-30. There have been a few, but not many for such a popular model. On that basis, I'd be more than happy to purchase a K-70 myself, though I'd probably extend the warranty by a year or more (depending on what's available).

The K-5IIs is an older model, but it was the flagship of the range when released. As such, the build quality, shutter life, performance, range of controls, connectivity, features and battery life appeal to serious amateur and semi-pro / pro photographers. It's also the last model to use electro-mechanical SR for video, which - if you're interested in video - could be a big deal. High ISO performance isn't up to quite the same standard as the K-70 due to the older sensor, but it's still good - and the overall image quality and dynamic range are excellent. Do note, however, that KAF4-mount lenses aren't fully supported (the aperture will remain wide open). Thus far, there are only two KAF4 lenses - the DA55-300 PLM and the DA*50 f/1.4, but it's likely that many (perhaps all) new lenses will use KAF4, requiring electronic control of the aperture. If you're happy with the existing range of lenses available (aside from the two mentioned) - and there's no reason why you shouldn't be - this isn't a concern.

A light-to-moderately-used K-5IIs that has been well looked-after is an incredibly capable and robust camera. At the right price, I'd choose it over the K-70, unless the latter offered a specific feature I needed... but, frankly, both cameras are excellent choices, offering different value propositions.

EDIT: I still have and occasionally use my original K-5 that I've owned since new. I've no hesitation in using it interchangeably with my K-3 and K-3II. Contrary to the previous comment above, I don't find the auto-focus "exceptionally slow" at all. The AF in the K-3 is better, but it's perfectly fine in the K-5 (and K-5II / K-5IIs) for most day-to-day practical uses. It does indeed lack focus peaking for manual focusing assistance in Live View, but this method is inferior to using magnification, and the K-5IIs supports this
Thanks, I figure the K-5 IIS would be a better deal for me at this point, I figured I can get a K-70 or better body used when there is one on the market.
The KAF4 wasn't a dealbreaker when there is a 55-300mm included with the K-5, and I already have a 50mm 1.4 SMC with my old ME.

Thank you for all the valuable post and replies!

---------- Post added 03-11-20 at 02:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The answer is the same today as in 2016 when the K-70 first came out. It depends on what one is looking for in a camera and the condition/shutter count of the K-5IIs. The lenses should not be part of the decision; would you purchase the lenses for $350 with a K-5IIs thrown in as a bonus?* The K-70 is the value queen of the Pentax line. The K-5IIs is a solid choice in a used body, though a K-3/K-3II would be an even more solid choice, IMHO (supports KAF4).

Sorry, I can't be more useful, but not knowing your mind, it is hard to give advice.


Steve

* The value of the lenses used is about $225 purchased as a package.
Yeah, I understand the K-70 is definitely better given the advancement in years.
But I figured I can wait for a deal when a used one hit the market and make do with a K-5 in the meantime.

03-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #17
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus Ohio USA
Posts: 58
I would buy the k5 with those lenses for 350 vs the 600 for the k70. If you like the k5 you already have a set of lenses for the k-new

---------- Post added 03-11-20 at 08:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The answer is the same today as in 2016 when the K-70 first came out. It depends on what one is looking for in a camera and the condition/shutter count of the K-5IIs. The lenses should not be part of the decision; would you purchase the lenses for $350 with a K-5IIs thrown in as a bonus?* The K-70 is the value queen of the Pentax line. The K-5IIs is a solid choice in a used body, though a K-3/K-3II would be an even more solid choice, IMHO (supports KAF4, much better AF, more pickles...).

Sorry, I can't be more useful, but not knowing your mind, it is hard to give advice.


Steve

* The value of the lenses used is about $225 purchased as a package.
I am not following this logic. Assuming you have a need for the 3 lenses (it sounds like the OP does) why would I either not consider the entire package? The reverse is would you pay 600 for a 18-55 with a k70 "thown in"? In both instances the total package should be factored in.

Where this becomes more complicated is when you already have lenses,but it appears the lenses adds value for the op.

The other way of looking at it. Is the k70 + 18-55 worth 70% more than the k5ii+ 3 lenses + extra battery

Last edited by Sidney Porter; 03-11-2020 at 06:19 PM.
03-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Goldsboro North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,411
I love my K-5IIs; it's my flagship model currently. I got it with about 30K clicks on the shutter out of an estimated 100K life. Your model will depend on the previous owner(s). I very seldom use muti-exposure (machine-gun) mode. I run up my clicks one at a time. If the previous owner was shooting 3 or more exposures per button press regularly, the count runs up quickly. Be sure to ask the seller for the count.

My screw-drive lenses usually focus in less than a second, plenty fast for me. My SDM lens can take up to 1.5 sec. or slightly more occasionally, but still not a problem for what I shoot. The K-5IIs does interval shooting which can be important for stacking multiple exposures of starry skies. I've never used the Astro-tracer module; can't comment on that. My next body will be a KP someday which will be a significant upgrade from the K-5IIs.
03-11-2020, 07:14 PM   #19
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 20
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I would buy the k5 with those lenses for 350 vs the 600 for the k70. If you like the k5 you already have a set of lenses for the k-new

---------- Post added 03-11-20 at 08:17 PM ----------


I am not following this logic. Assuming you have a need for the 3 lenses (it sounds like the OP does) why would I either not consider the entire package? The reverse is would you pay 600 for a 18-55 with a k70 "thown in"? In both instances the total package should be factored in.

Where this becomes more complicated is when you already have lenses,but it appears the lenses adds value for the op.

The other way of looking at it. Is the k70 + 18-55 worth 70% more than the k5ii+ 3 lenses + extra battery
Thank you for your insight as well, I think Steve meant that the K-70 is what I really want in the first place (which it is), but the K-5 would meet my needs.
Aside for a 14mm Sigma and 50mm SMC from my old ME, I think the extra lens are helpful since I don't have other lens for PK mount, so after reading the replies, it would be the better deal to help me get started which I just need to add in an astrotracer GPS.
I can keep the lens nonetheless when a better deal on newer models pop up.

It is my concern that a 8 year old model seemed very old in the market for digital camera, and 16MP isn't very much for DSLR (these days); hence starting this topic.

---------- Post added 03-11-20 at 07:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I love my K-5IIs; it's my flagship model currently. I got it with about 30K clicks on the shutter out of an estimated 100K life. Your model will depend on the previous owner(s). I very seldom use muti-exposure (machine-gun) mode. I run up my clicks one at a time. If the previous owner was shooting 3 or more exposures per button press regularly, the count runs up quickly. Be sure to ask the seller for the count.

My screw-drive lenses usually focus in less than a second, plenty fast for me. My SDM lens can take up to 1.5 sec. or slightly more occasionally, but still not a problem for what I shoot. The K-5IIs does interval shooting which can be important for stacking multiple exposures of starry skies. I've never used the Astro-tracer module; can't comment on that. My next body will be a KP someday which will be a significant upgrade from the K-5IIs.
Very nice to hear it is reliable, I can arrange to see the camera myself for the condition.
An acquaintance told me that his K-50 only last 1000 shots or so before the aperture issue, and the problem still coming back after repairs.
It's a shame since there isn't other brand which offer this function and value to their camera models if not for the problem.

03-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,345
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I am not following this logic. Assuming you have a need for the 3 lenses (it sounds like the OP does) why would I either not consider the entire package?
I am used to people not following my logic.

The qualifier is the need for those lenses. They don't add value as a bundle and would not translate well as core kit for either a K-70* or K-new. Of course, that is just my opinion. A good K-5IIs should sell for $350 body only.


Steve

* Yes, despite Pentax bundling the DA L 18-55/3.5-5.6 WR with the K-70 at present. The 18-55 is a very decent kit lens, but performs no better at 24Mpx that at 16Mpx. I am a big fan of the 18-55 and have done a lot of good work with mine (LINK), but at 10Mpx.
03-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Goldsboro North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,411
How many megapixels you need (or think you need) depends on your intended use of the images. If you plan on printing big enlargements (say bigger than 16 x 20 inches) you'll probably want all the megapixels you can get. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet my 16MP would look fine at 16x20 at a reasonable viewing distance. For web posting or smaller enlargements 16MP is plenty. (You can't post a 16MP image here on PF; it exceeds the forum's max image size, as does a 10MP image I believe.) However, with 24 megapixels you have more options for cropping images and still having good resolution, and the ability to capture finer detail if the lens is up to the task. There have been some lively discussions here on PF about megapixels vs. print size vs. sharpness vs. viewing distance. I want a 24MP KP. Do I really need one? Maybe not. But it has other significant advancements other than more megapixels.

Marketers hype that more megapixels is 'better'. Well, yes, in certain regards. But I keep reminding myself what an incredible piece of technology my 16MP sensor is.
03-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #22
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 20
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am used to people not following my logic.

The qualifier is the need for those lenses. They don't add value as a bundle and would not translate well as core kit for either a K-70* or K-new. Of course, that is just my opinion. A good K-5IIs should sell for $350 body only.


Steve

* Yes, despite Pentax bundling the DA L 18-55/3.5-5.6 WR with the K-70 at present. The 18-55 is a very decent kit lens, but performs no better at 24Mpx that at 16Mpx. I am a big fan of the 18-55 and have done a lot of good work with mine (LINK), but at 10Mpx.
Those are some very good pictures for 10MP, either choice will include the18-55, but with 55-300 I can shoot a little birds and wildlife, 85mm for portrait, both which I don't have thinking about it.
Good to know that the lens would be useful.

---------- Post added 03-11-20 at 08:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
How many megapixels you need (or think you need) depends on your intended use of the images. If you plan on printing big enlargements (say bigger than 16 x 20 inches) you'll probably want all the megapixels you can get. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet my 16MP would look fine at 16x20 at a reasonable viewing distance. For web posting or smaller enlargements 16MP is plenty. (You can't post a 16MP image here on PF; it exceeds the forum's max image size, as does a 10MP image I believe.) However, with 24 megapixels you have more options for cropping images and still having good resolution, and the ability to capture finer detail if the lens is up to the task. There have been some lively discussions here on PF about megapixels vs. print size vs. sharpness vs. viewing distance. I want a 24MP KP. Do I really need one? Maybe not. But it has other significant advancements other than more megapixels.

Marketers hype that more megapixels is 'better'. Well, yes, in certain regards. But I keep reminding myself what an incredible piece of technology my 16MP sensor is.
Yes, I agree, 16mp would be sufficient for printing A3 size prints; but newer camera would have better ISO, lower noise, and certainly faster processing speed for auto-focusing and other stuffs as well.
So it is nice to know that the model is still good enough and stand up to use today.
03-11-2020, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,345
QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
Those are some very good pictures for 10MP, either choice will include the18-55, but with 55-300 I can shoot a little birds and wildlife, 85mm for portrait, both which I don't have thinking about it.
Good to know that the lens would be useful.
I'm glad they will be of use to you. There is a lens club here for the 18-55 that you might enjoy contributing to:

The Kit Lens Club! - Page 191 - PentaxForums.com (recent entries)

There may be clubs for your other two lenses as well.


Steve

03-11-2020, 10:58 PM   #24
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,430
The K-5 II and IIs had a few updates over the original K-5, including improved AF with some lenses. The "s" means that model has no AA filter which is used to produce a slight smear to hide moire should it occur in some subject matter. But the filter also compromises fine detail, which the reason theK-5 IIs was designed without one, and the K-5 IIs is thus able to reveal better fine detail in images. However, the K-70 also has no AA filter, nor do any of the Pentax current DSLR models.

I have the K-S2, the model the K-70 replaced, and the body and controls design are very similar. My older but excellent K-5 IIs is built a whole lot better, a far more durable body. I also have the current KP, which is now the current top APS-C body, a very well-built and capable camera, which I use most of the time. But I still do use my K-5 IIs, and still find its performance to be very fine. Its controls set is far above a K-70, plus a convenient top LCD screen, although it has no swing-out rear screen.

If that K-5 IIs is really of low usage and in top condition, I think you have a bargain there. You will enjoy this camera.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-13-2020 at 06:57 PM.
03-12-2020, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,723
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
. . . There is a lens club here for the 18-55 that you might enjoy contributing to:

The Kit Lens Club! - Page 191 - PentaxForums.com (recent entries)

There may be clubs for your other two lenses as well.

Steve
here is a link to the " lens clubs index " here at the forum

QuoteQuote:

rjm007

Lens Clubs - Index

I have always enjoyed roaming around the lens club sub-forum and it's many threads. These reflect the diverse experience, interests and obsessions of the esteemed members of PF. The only problem I've had is that due to the way it's grown in terms of organisation it's a bit , let's say, idiosyncratic. The daily updates to threads also means they are constantly moving in terms of which page they are on. It's a mixture of lens or brand specific sections and a big dollop of "this is my special interest". All very good but not that easy if you're looking for something specific and not the best way to find new stuff. So I thought I'd organise it a little bit if only for my own purposes.

So below is a sort of index which you may find useful. Three sections - single lenses , lens types and then a miscellany. It's a bit arbitrary but I hope it helps you find the area you are looking for. Please let me know of the inevitable mistakes - I don't know all these lenses so I may have got something wrong - it's happened before :-)

I will add further short descriptions and thread count - the former to clarify the content and the latter to give an idea of traffic level . Thread count is a moving target so don't expect regular updates !

Date Compiled: 26th February 2017 Lens Clubs - Index
Read more at: Lens Club - Linked Index - PentaxForums.com

[ it has been updated ]



of course, if you can't find one for your lenses, you could start one

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-12-2020 at 03:52 AM.
03-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Goldsboro North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,411
QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
but newer camera would have better ISO, lower noise, and certainly faster processing speed for auto-focusing and other stuffs as well.
Which is why I want a KP. And the 24 megapixels, of course.
03-12-2020, 11:53 PM   #27
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 19
Yes, the KP is king among the APS-C, K-70 is queen indeed, but how will be the new K APS-C? Is there a news regarding launch? I am so curious about that model
03-13-2020, 12:15 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 14,957
QuoteOriginally posted by Carlos33 Quote
Yes, the KP is king among the APS-C, K-70 is queen indeed, but how will be the new K APS-C? Is there a news regarding launch? I am so curious about that model
No news yet. Keep an eye on the forums... As soon as it's announced, there'll be posts about it - of that you can be certain
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
18-55mm, aperture, aperture block failure, camera, cameras, choice, comparison, dslr, gps, iq, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5ii, k-5iis, k-5iis vs k-70, k-5sii, k-70, k5, lens, lenses, model, package, pentax, pentax k-5iis vs, photography, review, samyang, usd
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This year, Venice carnival is from 8. Feb. 2020 to 25. Feb. 2020 biz-engineer Travel, Events, and Groups 1 01-05-2020 05:58 AM
K-5 vs MZ-S vs LX vs PZ-1p vs ist*D vs K10D vs K20D vs K-7 vs....... Steelski Pentax K-5 2 06-28-2017 04:59 PM
Enthusiast vs Prosumer vs Semi Pro vs Pro vs APSC vs Full Frame mickyd Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 11-12-2013 07:14 PM
Pentax k-5 vs k-5II vs k-5IIs from Imaging Resources samples JinDesu Pentax DSLR Discussion 46 06-11-2013 09:58 AM
DA 50-200 vs DA 55-300 vs Vivitar S1 70-210 vs Pentax-A 70-210; Tele-Zoom Comparo PentHassyKon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 04-28-2010 03:40 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top