Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #1

Pentax K-5IIS vs K-70 in 2020

Hello, I own a a Pentax ME but mostly using Olympus Four Thirds for digital photography.
I am getting into astrophotography recently and interested in getting one compatible with the Pentax astrotracer system, being able to use my old ME lens is obviously a big plus.

I got a good deal on a new K-70 for around $600 USD with kit 18-55mm lens, I have thought this would be my choice when an acquaintance who have own a troublesome K-50 with aperture problems even after repair warned me that the aperture on this model might prone to failure as well.
I also got another offer for a K-5IIS in good condition with 3 lens (18-55mm, 55-300mm and 85mm aspherical) and extra battery thrown in for $350 USD.

My question is, since the K-70 have been around for more than 2 years, is this model reliable?
Is the K-5SII with 16MP still worth getting in 2020 after 8 years in the market?

Which one would you guys think is the better deal?

Thank you

03-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-70 will have the more advanced hardware/software... but

the K-5 IIs has a larger battery, top lcd, and its 16mp sensor is nothing to be ashamed of....
03-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Hello

I have bought a K-70, my brother-in-law also has a K-70 and we are very happy for it. I think the K-70 is a very good camera and has the Pentax newly developed accelerator unit, that is only in the K1-II and K-70 as I know. This accelerator is also responsible for noise reduction, etc., but the Pentaxians here on forums sure they know better. I think you cannot go wrong with the K-70. Other thing is that is so important for me that absolute no vibrations on the photos (I came form Nikon). It is important when you crop a lot fx. at small birds, all the vibrations or blur are visible, so the K-70 is absolute vibration free, no shutter shock at all I am really satisfied with it. The battery is not so bad at all considering that the 55-300 PLM lens is a very economy energy user. I also use many times the LCD, you can flip out at any degrees, so comfortable to work in Live View Mode.
03-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the K-5 II is the better deal due to the extra lenses being included. I think body-only deals for a K-5II and IIs usually runs around $250 to $300 these days. The kit lens isn't worth much on the used market but even an early copy of the 55-300 in good condition is a $100 lens. I am going to go out on a limb and assume that the 85mm lens is a Samyang (or daugher brand like Rokinon) f1.4 manual focus lens. Used in good condition with good IQ (meaning no decentering or other optical issues) that's probably, what, $150 or so via online auction? Maybe a bit more? In any case, that's a decent collection of glass.

The K-70 still uses the same problematic aperture solenoid that the K-30 and K-50 and some other cameras used. They aren't extremely trouble prone but they're not as rugged as the K-5's were.

K-70 is a step ahead of the K-5 & variants in pretty much every department, image wise; resolution, AF performance, high-ISO IQ. But the K-5II & IIs are no slouches. Honestly, I think I would go for the K-5 IIs deal you have in front of you and if you like using the camera, maybe get a good lens for what you're wanting to do with astro if you don't have something already, like the Samyang 14mm f2.8. You can still in 2020 build a very competent kit around a K-5 IIs I believe.

03-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't know about the astrotracer on either camera since I haven't used it, but that K-5IIs offer seems like a killer deal. Not sure what the 85mm aspherical lens is. Probably not a Pentax lens. More than likely Samyang/Rokinon. Still, the 3 lenses are probably worth the $350 (200 for the 85, 100 for the 55-300 and 50 for the 18-55), and then the K-5IIs would basically be free...

I think the solenoid in the K-70 is slightly changed from the earlier models - it can still give problems but it's not as common. At least that's what I've read here...
03-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K3ii comes with built in GPS as opposed to the cameras mentioned so an additional outlay for the OPS-1 (GPS Unit) would be required if you want to do more than star trails. I'm sure an experienced astro-photographer will be along shortly to offer additional (& more comprehensive) advice.

Last edited by whammerhead; 03-11-2020 at 01:09 PM. Reason: j
03-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's only the K-3 II; the original K-3 still had a flash.

03-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have not seen the forum's comparison tool

I have set it up for a side by side comparison

Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

You might also want to review the " in depth " reviews and user reviews

QuoteQuote:

Pentax K-70 Review
Introduction
For most of the digital era, Pentax has maintained several distinct DSLR lines. At the top has been the line currently represented by the K-3 II—the prosumer line, offering the robust handling and powerful feature set of leading full-frame cameras, but built around an APS-C sensor. The line that’s now represented by the K-S1 is designed for entry-level users, with simpler construction and a reduced feature set. And then there’s the middle ground, home to cameras like the K-50, K-S2, and now the K-70.

The Pentax K-70 is neither a pro body nor a beginner’s camera, though it could serve either group with aplomb. Instead of targeting one group or the other, it splits the difference with a 24-megapixel APS-C sensor, plenty of features cribbed from the K-3 II and K-1, and a robust, water-resistant design. This is a camera for enthusiasts who don’t need all the bells and whistles of a flagship camera, but want the versatility those cameras promise. . . .
Read more at: Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-70 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review
Introduction
In October 2010, Pentax launched the original Pentax K-5, a high-end, weather-sealed APS-C DSLR. To date, this camera ranks among the best in its class in terms of image quality and value.

This year at Photokina, Pentax announced the successors to the K-5: the K-5 II and K-5 IIs.

Pentax K-5 IIs

The main improvements in the K-5 II include a new autofocus system called SAFOX X, which operates in low light down to -3EV, and a redesigned LCD screen, which is easier to see outdoors. In addition to these changes, the K-5 IIs also employs a filterless sensor design, meaning that it will be able to deliver a much higher effective image resolution. In almost all other respects, the K-5 II and IIs are identical to its predecessor. The K-5 II is launching with an MSRP of $1199 in the US, while the K-5 IIs is only $100 more. The original K-5 cost $1749 back in 2010, but the last few batches are selling at just $749. If you're looking to get a high-end APS-C camera, we hope that this review will help you decide between a new or used K-5 and the K-5 II/IIs.
Read more at: Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

QuoteQuote:
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit
Introduction
The Pentax O-GPS1 unit is a small accessory unit that attaches to any K-01, K-5, K-r or 645D (or newer) camera flash hotshoe and provides geotagging of images (latitude, longitude, elevation), an electronic compass, and a simple navigator function. The GPS function also has the option of keeping the camera clock up-to-date. It was announced in June, 2011 and made available shortly thereafter.

On the K-5 & K-r, the unit also provides an Astrotracer function that allows the camera sensor to act as a simple equatorial mount for astrophotography. This allows for exposures of up to five minutes without incurring star trails on the phot0
Read more at: Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax O-GPS1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
03-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I think the K-5 II is the better deal due to the extra lenses being included. I think body-only deals for a K-5II and IIs usually runs around $250 to $300 these days. The kit lens isn't worth much on the used market but even an early copy of the 55-300 in good condition is a $100 lens. I am going to go out on a limb and assume that the 85mm lens is a Samyang (or daugher brand like Rokinon) f1.4 manual focus lens. Used in good condition with good IQ (meaning no decentering or other optical issues) that's probably, what, $150 or so via online auction? Maybe a bit more? In any case, that's a decent collection of glass.

The K-70 still uses the same problematic aperture solenoid that the K-30 and K-50 and some other cameras used. They aren't extremely trouble prone but they're not as rugged as the K-5's were.

K-70 is a step ahead of the K-5 & variants in pretty much every department, image wise; resolution, AF performance, high-ISO IQ. But the K-5II & IIs are no slouches. Honestly, I think I would go for the K-5 IIs deal you have in front of you and if you like using the camera, maybe get a good lens for what you're wanting to do with astro if you don't have something already, like the Samyang 14mm f2.8. You can still in 2020 build a very competent kit around a K-5 IIs I believe.
Yes, it is a Samyang, it was offered on local online classified, so I got to view the item myself.

---------- Post added 03-11-20 at 01:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by whammerhead Quote
The K3ii comes with built in GPS as opposed to the cameras mentioned so an additional outlay for the OPS-1 (GPS Unit) would be required if you want to do more than star trails. I'm sure an experienced astro-photographer will be along shortly to offer additional (& more comprehensive) advice.
I can't find a K-3 around me, but I can find a OPS-1 for around $120, not a very expensive outlay I think.

---------- Post added 03-11-20 at 01:17 PM ----------

Yes, I have read the comparison here and a few sites.

However the perspective is different when you view it with times (year 2020) than the raw figures of both cameras, I would like to hear different experience from users of both cameras as well.
03-11-2020, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whammerhead Quote
perhaps these articles might be of help ?

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Star Stream Mode Demystified
What exactly is Star Stream and how does it work?
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Mar 15, 2017

Recent Pentax models, including the K-S2, K-1, K-70, and KP, have a new drive mode called Star Stream. It is located on the drive mode page together with interval shooting, but what does it do that regular interval shooting doesn't? We set out to find out. . . .
Read more at: Pentax Star Stream Mode Demystified - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

By K David in Articles and Tips on Feb 22, 2015
Astrophotography Series Announcement
Astrophotography is one of the newest trends among photographers. Gone are the days of cold cameras, liquid nitrogen hypersensitization, and specialty high-reciprocity films. High-quality digital cameras with good high-ISO performance combined with fast, high-quality optics from makers like Pentax, Samyang, and Tamron are taking astrophotography out of the enclaves of astronomers and putting it in the hands of hobbyists, too. This six-part series will, over the next year, look at various elements of astrophotography.

Over the course of the coming weeks, you will be able to find the articles on our homepage at:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/astrophotography-tutori...#ixzz6GPjG7X7G
03-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Thanks, there is a lot of valuable information to be read on this site.

The starstream mode on K-70 is interesting but not a great advantage to me as I am expecting to shoot mostly stills at the moment.
03-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
Thanks, there is a lot of valuable information to be read on this site... .
lot of friendly members as well

in addition, even though you had read some of the info I have linked

another reader of this thread may not have yet

so the info is there if necessary

good luck on your decision
03-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to mention one point. K5IIs live view is very outdated even compare to Pentax K-01 (camera approximately of the same age). Exceptionally slow autofocus and no focus peaking. So if the live view is important it should be taken into consideration. I don't have K70 but I believe it is better in this area.
03-11-2020, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I won't repeat the excellent information you've already received, but I'll offer some opinions.

The modified aperture control block on the K-70 seems to have drastically reduced the chances of failure, even though it uses the same solenoid part. Reports have been way, way fewer than with the earlier K-50 and K-30. There have been a few, but not many for such a popular model. On that basis, I'd be more than happy to purchase a K-70 myself, though I'd probably extend the warranty by a year or more (depending on what's available).

The K-5IIs is an older model, but it was the flagship of the range when released. As such, the build quality, shutter life, performance, range of controls, connectivity, features and battery life appeal to serious amateur and semi-pro / pro photographers. It's also the last model to use electro-mechanical SR for video, which - if you're interested in video - could be a big deal. High ISO performance isn't up to quite the same standard as the K-70 due to the older sensor, but it's still good - and the overall image quality and dynamic range are excellent. Do note, however, that KAF4-mount lenses aren't fully supported (the aperture will remain wide open). Thus far, there are only two KAF4 lenses - the DA55-300 PLM and the DA*50 f/1.4, but it's likely that many (perhaps all) new lenses will use KAF4, requiring electronic control of the aperture. If you're happy with the existing range of lenses available (aside from the two mentioned) - and there's no reason why you shouldn't be - this isn't a concern.

A light-to-moderately-used K-5IIs that has been well looked-after is an incredibly capable and robust camera. At the right price, I'd choose it over the K-70, unless the latter offered a specific feature I needed... but, frankly, both cameras are excellent choices, offering different value propositions.

EDIT: I still have and occasionally use my original K-5 that I've owned since new. I've no hesitation in using it interchangeably with my K-3 and K-3II. Contrary to the previous comment above, I don't find the auto-focus "exceptionally slow" at all. The AF in the K-3 is better, but it's perfectly fine in the K-5 (and K-5II / K-5IIs) for most day-to-day practical uses. It does indeed lack focus peaking for manual focusing assistance in Live View, but this method is inferior to using magnification, and the K-5IIs supports this

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-11-2020 at 02:25 PM.
03-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The answer is the same today as in 2016 when the K-70 first came out. It depends on what one is looking for in a camera and the condition/shutter count of the K-5IIs. The lenses should not be part of the decision; would you purchase the lenses for $350 with a K-5IIs thrown in as a bonus?* The K-70 is the value queen of the Pentax line. The K-5IIs is a solid choice in a used body, though a K-3/K-3II would be an even more solid choice, IMHO (supports KAF4, much better AF, more pickles...).

Sorry, I can't be more useful, but not knowing your mind, it is hard to give advice.

Steve

* The value of the lenses used is about $225 purchased as a package.