Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Wishing composite had auto-align

Recently shot some composites, made me realize how much a simple implementation of a auto-align feature would be very useful. Any movement whatsoever in a composite destroys the sharpness, and it can be frustrating sometimes.

Hope you're reading this Pentax.....

03-15-2020, 10:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you can shoot and do composite in photoshop, it has auto-aligned
03-15-2020, 10:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
you can shoot and do composite in photoshop, it has auto-aligned

I know....That's why it could be implemented into camera composite.
03-16-2020, 12:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That lightweight travel tripod just doesn’t cut it, eh?

03-16-2020, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Recently shot some composites, made me realize how much a simple implementation of a auto-align feature would be very useful. Any movement whatsoever in a composite destroys the sharpness, and it can be frustrating sometimes.

Hope you're reading this Pentax.....
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
I know....That's why it could be implemented into camera composite.
I think you might be underestimating the amount of computational power required. It's amazing what even a low-end modern tablet or PC can do, but those are processing power-houses compared to most DSLRs...
03-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think you might be underestimating the amount of computational power required. It's amazing what even a low-end modern tablet or PC can do, but those are processing power-houses compared to most DSLRs...
Hello Mike.
Perhaps it could be made possible for a small number of images. The HDR Modes do have the Auto Align option.

Philip
03-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Hello Mike.
Perhaps it could be made possible for a small number of images. The HDR Modes do have the Auto Align option.

Philip
It does indeed, but even for three images, the process is time consuming, taking about 8 seconds on my K-3 for capture to DNG and somewhat longer for JPEG.

Steve

03-18-2020, 03:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see it happening for any significant number of images. As Steve says, HDR takes a fair amount of time to process (I thought it was longer than 8 seconds), but of course it is also doing its HDR thing as well. Probably the best thing is to use something truly steady like a bean bag or to combine in post.
07-20-2020, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I think for aligning and stacking a dedicated application like Zerene is superior in every way. There are others like Helicon (amazing and expensive) and Picolay (more difficult but free) you could experiment with, too.

I agree with Mike. The processing power required is enormous. I have an aging Xeon based workstation and it maxes out the 8 cores while it's working, which is kind of impressive. I wouldn't want such a feature on my camera as it would be a terribly inefficient battery drain, and a source of unnecessary heat.