Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2020, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Interesting....I'm trying to figure how this was achieved with Additive?

I'm guessing the Moon was not in one of the frames
The first frame is the Sleeping Giant scene. The second is the Moon zoomed to 300mm. The Moon is not in the first scene at all it is to the left of the scene and higher in the sky. The neat thing about digital is that you can actually see a ghost from the previous shot on the LCD screen which helps you place the moon or whatever where you want it. All the shots are with the HD 55-300 PLM I didn't have to change the lens. You can change lenses e.g. from a 50mm to a 500 mm. In the film days you had to estimate where to place the subsequent shots. I have done up to 3 seperate shots for a scene but beyond that I end up having a Brain Fart and end up with a Picasso .
The examples show you how you can change the scene dramatically

Last edited by pentaxic; 03-22-2020 at 06:00 AM.
03-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

This is all fascinating stuff ... a totally un-plumbed depth for me

So, I've been reading and playing and I've come up with a query ... given similar exposures, is there any difference between "Multi-Exposure - Composite Mode - Average" and "Interval Shooting - Composite Mode - Average" or can one be considered an extension or sub-set of the other?
03-20-2020, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
This is all fascinating stuff ... a totally un-plumbed depth for me

So, I've been reading and playing and I've come up with a query ... given similar exposures, is there any difference between "Multi-Exposure - Composite Mode - Average" and "Interval Shooting - Composite Mode - Average" or can one be considered an extension or sub-set of the other?
They are identical except for who triggers the shutter for each shot.

Multi-Exposure: the photographer triggers the shutter when they want (including using any external triggering accessories). Thus, the photographer can reframe each shot of the composite, change exposure for each shot, and optimize when they fire each shot.

Interval Shooting: the camera triggers the shutter at exactly equally-spaced intervals with the first shot starting under photographer control or via a timer/alarm. In general, it's used with a fixed camera on a tripod although a clever photographer make composition or setting changes in the delay period (e.g., with a 5 second interval, they have maybe 4 seconds to change the setup between each shots.) If you want the strobe-effect of subimages with movements exactly proportional to their velocity, interval shooting provides accurate timing.

Given that the photographer could act like an interval timer in Multi-Exposure mode but the camera in Interval Mode could not act like an intelligent, scene-sensitive photographer, I'd say Interval Shooting is a subset of Multi-Exposure.
03-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
They are identical except for who triggers the shutter for each shot.

Multi-Exposure: the photographer triggers the shutter when they want (including using any external triggering accessories). Thus, the photographer can reframe each shot of the composite, change exposure for each shot, and optimize when they fire each shot.

Interval Shooting: the camera triggers the shutter at exactly equally-spaced intervals with the first shot starting under photographer control or via a timer/alarm. In general, it's used with a fixed camera on a tripod although a clever photographer make composition or setting changes in the delay period (e.g., with a 5 second interval, they have maybe 4 seconds to change the setup between each shots.) If you want the strobe-effect of subimages with movements exactly proportional to their velocity, interval shooting provides accurate timing.

Given that the photographer could act like an interval timer in Multi-Exposure mode but the camera in Interval Mode could not act like an intelligent, scene-sensitive photographer, I'd say Interval Shooting is a subset of Multi-Exposure.
Excellent

Thanks for the comprehensive and concise summary!

I've now got a reference point to work from to explore this world that I've long been aware of but never ventured into