Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2020, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is It Time To Buy That Back Up Camera Body?

A couple of days ago, Nikon announced that it's closing its' repair facilities world-wide because of the virus.

I don't know how Precision Camera is coping with the virus, but at the very least, if they are not closed I expect their repair capacity is greatly diminished for many reasons that I don't have time to review now.

Given the above, I am very glad that I currently own two Pentax K-1 bodies (and that I know how to do some rudimentary camera repairs). Should one of my K-1's go down, and repair not be available, I've got the second body that I can use if I'm unable to self-repair the defective unit.

On the APS-C front, I've got a K10D and 2 other similar CCD APS-C bodies (Sony A350, Fuji S3-Pro) and a few modern Fuji X APS-C bodies too, so I don't worry about backup with my APS-C bodies.

Do you have a back up body?

What will you do if your main body fails and you don't have a backup?

Is it time for you to think about buying a backup body?

03-22-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've got a K-5 and K-10D as back-ups. However, given that I'm not going out, not hiking with friends, etc. my rate of picture taking is quite low at the moment.

And if inspiration for around-the-house images strikes and then the K-1 fails, I'll make do with the K-5 or K-10D.

Given the low likelihood of a K-1 failure, low likelihood of lots of photography while this is happening, high performance of the my current back-ups, and general financial uncertainty, I can't justify buying another camera.
03-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's a very good question, I've got a KP and a K-50. I'm not expecting anything to go wrong with either, but then you never do. A few years ago the battery hook on my K-50 broke while under warranty, I sent it to Precision and they also changed out the aperture block (no symptoms, not requested), so I certainly don't expect anything to happen there.
03-22-2020, 10:47 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

Yes I do have a back up body. Ever since my second camera, my camera to be upgraded became the backup.

The only time this wasn't true was when I had my entire system stolen and had to start from scratch, but even then, I bought a flagship as my main camera and an entry level as the backup.

My advice, especially in these times where repair facilities are temporarily closing, is not to purchase a used camera as a backup. Either get a new entry level as your back up or upgrade your current camera and use your 'old' camera as the back up.

However, I must admit that nowadays, I tend to find myself going out with only one camera and thinking of my cell phone as the backup.

Last edited by Alex645; 03-22-2020 at 11:09 AM.
03-22-2020, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-3II as my primary camera and a K-5 as my back-up. In February I took a trip to Australia/New Zealand (luckily just in time as it turns out), and brought both. I kept my HD DA16-85 mounted on the K-5 and my new DA55-300 f4.5-6.3 mounted on the K-3II for the most part. Before I went, I thought hard about buying a KP so I could have better high ISO performance and 24mp images for all, but my K-5 performed quite well and I was very pleased with it. Hopefully later this year the K-New will be out and I will transition my K-3II to back-up status.
03-22-2020, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I already have one; would like 2 more!

I have an upgraded K1 as a backup to my Z; With a backup for each (or at least the Z...) I could leave one set at work and have the other for personal and other pro work.

Especially with PS, my K1 is an able backup to the Z for the work I do. That said, there are now moveents to augment the documentation we do of the galleries with video walk-throughs. I can do that with the K1, but here it does lag behind the museum-owned 5DmkIV's, at least in terms of UI. OTOH, our AV director thinks that if video is something we're going to commit to, then we ought to be looking at video cameras.
03-22-2020, 12:20 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I'm not going out, not hiking with friends, etc. my rate of picture taking is quite low at the moment.

I'm not going out shooting with friends either. But that's the great thing about photography - it can be fully enjoyed when you are all by yourself.

03-22-2020, 12:40 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd think most who don't are quite content with having the phone as their backup camera.

For me it's not a big deal. Photography is purely a hobby. I still have plenty of backup options, though. K-1, K-3, GR II, GX80, compacts, phone... More options than I have motivation to use right now
03-22-2020, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

My workhorse is a Pentax K5-II with grip, and my backup camera is also a K5-II with grip. Shortly after I got my first copy I wanted to have an extra battery and battery charger (as backup), but I decided to purchase an extra body instead, which is relatively cheap because battery and battery charger are included. My philosophy is also that a real backup is a camera of the same type, and even with the same lens; my standard lens is the DA 21 mm and I have two of them.
03-22-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

well yes, I have back up cameras:

I have the K 3, K 3 II and KP ( that one I got by being lucky in the November contest )

my full frame sensor cameras are SLR Pentax Camera Bodies: Z 1, Super Program and ME Super

and I also have other cameras:

Nikon coolpix p610

Canon Powershot A1100 IS
03-22-2020, 12:54 PM - 12 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't take this seriously...

1. No, this is the one I was born with.
  2. I think the usual process is to die
  3. You interest me strangely. Do tell more!
03-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #12
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
My workhorse is a Pentax K5-II with grip, and my backup camera is also a K5-II with grip. Shortly after I got my first copy I wanted to have an extra battery and battery charger (as backup), but I decided to purchase an extra body instead, which is relatively cheap because battery and battery charger are included. My philosophy is also that a real backup is a camera of the same type, and even with the same lens; my standard lens is the DA 21 mm and I have two of them.
My workhorse is a Ricoh Pentax and my backup is also a Ricoh Pentax. And the backup from that one is a Ricoh Pentax and the backup from that one is a Samsung GX-10, better known as Pentax K10d's sibling. And all of them have a backup 18-55 and the backup for that one is a surplus 18-55 (which means I have more 18-55's than I have bodies).
03-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . .

[/B]
in the US there is an option of renting a DSLR camera body to try out or to tide you over if your camera body goes down

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

currently LensRentals.com has a deal going on

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...nses-rent.html
03-22-2020, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
  1. No, this is the one I was born with.
  2. I think the usual process is to die
  3. You interest me strangely. Do tell more!
My clone is in cold storage, I suppose it may be appropriate at this time to have it thawed and ready.

Steve
03-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #15

My main unit is the K-S2. I also have the K-r, which I have already considered to be my back up, as I fear the dreaded Solenoid Block might eventually do in my K-S2. Now, my “wish” is that a new FF will be announced, hopefully sooner than later...❗️❓🤔