Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2020, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
18% Grey?

Is the background color of the current Ricoh Pentax lens packaging box the 18% neutral grey as in a "grey card".

03-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by doc58bc Quote
Is the background color of the current Ricoh Pentax lens packaging box the 18% neutral grey as in a "grey card".

I don't have a lens box, but if the lens packaging is similar to the box my KP came in it's probably too shiny (reflective) to be a reliable grey card ... I can't find an old grey card to compare the actual colour, but I remember them being relatively matt finish.
03-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No...about a stop lighter.

Steve
03-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Kodak gray card from back in the day. If you look at the 'proud owner' graphic in kypfer's post above, the gray just to the right of the 'S' in 'istDS' is about the same to my eye. However, this comparison is affected by the brightness setting on my monitor and the illumination falling on my gray card. So, may not be that helpful.

03-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A table of zones. Zone V represents 18% reflective - generated using html table tags, function hsl(0, 0%, 50%).

Of course on a display lightness may be off.
03-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
18% Grey?
Why not just use a X-Rite ColorChecker Passport, got all the bases covered then.
03-27-2020, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Why not just use a X-Rite ColorChecker Passport, got all the bases covered then.
$$$

Steve

03-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
However, this comparison is affected by the brightness setting on my monitor and the illumination falling on my gray card. So, may not be that helpful.
Monitor color balance is another consideration. For most purposes, it is best to not directly compare reflected and emitted light when doing a technical evaluation. That said, the meters on our Pentax dSLRs are calibrated against a standardized light source, but evaluated against 18% gray for CIPA certification.

Steve
03-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
$$$Steve
Aye I guess... but if colours and balance are important, it's a great wee tool for getting the job done.
03-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

No it isn't.
03-27-2020, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the OP simply wanted a general idea of what 18% gray looks like. The chart by acoufap above does a nice job of this IMO. Not all questions need a deep technical answer.
03-27-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not all questions need a deep technical answer.
It's a bit off topic, but thanks for the reminder. I really need to apply this pearl more often in my other life.
03-28-2020, 02:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Not all questions need a deep technical answer.
True - but giving one can often lead to a more informative, wider ranging discussion. OTOH, the person who asked may just give up in frustration !
03-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! ............. A lot of answers for the original question.

Something though I have to respond to is that a monitor is NOT a reflectance standard and can't be compared to a gray card. A gray card REFLECTS a given percentage of the light striking it and takes on a color cast depending on the ambient light (it exhibits a "self-adjusting" color temperature). No monitor should ever be used as a gray card. Color reference, yes. Gray card, no way.

If one wants a fair gray card substitute on the cheap (maybe not so cheap), RUST-OLEUM Satin Granite (for those in the US) sprayed on a white base (3 coats) comes close. It's a bit more shiny than a gray card, but again it's pretty close and has great neutrality (equal reflectance of all colors).

I think the OP just wanted a quick gray card substitute but I could be wrong.
03-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Something though I have to respond to is that a monitor is NOT a reflectance standard and can't be compared to a gray card. A gray card REFLECTS a given percentage of the light striking it and takes on a color cast depending on the ambient light (it exhibits a "self-adjusting" color temperature). No monitor should ever be used as a gray card. Color reference, yes. Gray card, no way.
Thanks for expanding on what I added as an aside. I particularly appreciate the note regard color temperature. People tend to use use something white for in-camera custom white balance when a gray card would be much more appropriate.

Steve