Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2020, 08:11 PM   #31
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
But this is the Pentax forum site - there’s gonna be a multitude of deep, technical answers. Really deep, tremendously technical, such as the above dozen or so posts. Probably a lot more to come...
And quite passionate too.

04-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These Ebay $6.50 plastic cards are good enough of a starting place as any.
Attached Images

04-04-2020, 12:59 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
An explanation of DNG color matrices requires a deep dive into the DNG specification and I ain't gonna go there!!
Color matrices have nothing to do with WB

The multipliers I am speaking of can be found in non DNG files also, this is what WB is its multiplying 1 or more of the color channels to produce a white balance. The multiplying of the color channels is done independently of the profile used. and does not change when changing the Color matrices ether in a profile editor or the color matrices tab of ARC.

We can see this if we simply change the multiplier stored within the raw data regardless if it is a DNG. It only makes adjustments to the WB setting and only the WB sliders. We also know this because to use the multiplier data within the raw converter you can only use this data if your select "as shot".

Here I have used the multipliers that are measured by the camera WB settings

Here I have set them with no multipliers meaning no WB is being applied to the raw file. If you look you can see that the WB sliders have changed and this is the UniWB setting for this camera model red=1 green=1 blue=1

Every forum that I have participated in call these multipliers
Do Not Let White Balance Throw You Off-Balance | FastRawViewer
What is UniWB? | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan
04-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
Color matrices have nothing to do with WB
Just going from the chart you posted, but misinterpreted. My bad. I guess I was thrown off a bit by the DNG tags since the image was NEF. In Pentaxland, the RGGB multipliers are stored in the makernotes.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-04-2020 at 11:45 AM.