Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2008, 03:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wireless flash thingamajigs

So I was thinking of perhaps purchasing a radio transmitter for wireless flash photography to better control my off-camera flash pictures and be able to use my second flash which does not have a wireless mode.
The thing is, Pocket Wizards are too expensive for me and I'm not sure what else there is. I've heard about this eBay version or something but I really feel out of the loop here. Perhaps you guys can give me some tips on what brands work and what brands suck.
Also, I think I'll go for radio since optical requires that the flash receiver is not hidden and I may want to place my flash in locations where its is behind and object or perhaps inside a car etc.

10-28-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please let us know how you go with this ,as I too who like to run my Metz 48 AF-1 wireless of my K10D

cheers
10-28-2008, 03:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

highly recommend the flashwaves. they're just like pocket wizards, much more compact and helluva lot cheaper. very well-made and hasn't let me down, much more reliable and better made than the cactus triggers. google it up.

another one you might want are the radio poppers, i haven't followed the news on them but they look like an affordable alternative to the pocket wizards too. they have the higher end version that's fully TTL, i dunno what happened to them
10-28-2008, 04:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I second the FlashWaves. Search this site, I think it was Gene'sPentax who did an excellent post on them.

10-28-2008, 04:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

GenesPentax did the original introduction to FlashWaves, which got us into them and PeterZack has done a big write-up.

Here's Peter's thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/31950-those-con...-triggers.html

Last edited by JCSullivan; 10-28-2008 at 04:44 AM.
10-28-2008, 04:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Add my name to the list of Flash Waves fans.

Here's a twilight shot done a few hours ago with them:

Pentax K20D
S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5
Pentax AF280T and National PE-3057
Flash Waves

10-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry but not on topic of OP but great shot Mike. What was your set up? PM me or add here. I am using the Cactus V2s and really wish I had spent the extra money for the flashwaves. More than likely will in the future.

10-28-2008, 05:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Sorry but not on topic of OP but great shot Mike. What was your set up? PM me or add here. I am using the Cactus V2s and really wish I had spent the extra money for the flashwaves. More than likely will in the future.
AF280T low to the left and PE-3057 low to the right, both on full power (GN28 and GN30) and aimed at the eaves. With my shooting aperture set I aimed at the sky in M mode and hit the green button to set the shutter speed to preserve correct exposure for any bits of sky that might make it into the photo. Nothing complicated. It could have been a lot better. But neither it nor I are going anywhere so I'll have a chance to do it again some other day.
10-28-2008, 06:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have the "V2s" (not V2's) and use them up to 1/180 w/o a problem w/ my K10D and Nikon speedlights. For how well they sync, it's important to know what camera and flashes they're being used with.
10-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All right then! Flashwave and V2s, I'll surf around tomorrow and see what I can find about them, and then perhaps make a decision
Thanks guys!
10-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
Inactive Account

The V2s are the ebay triggers. They're also called "Cactus" (the brand name, V2s being the model name). I believe you can get them from ebay or from gadgetinfity.com (or something like that). They're not that well made, but mine work just fine on my K10D w/ Nikon SB-28's. I can also sync up to the camera's max 1/180th with no probs. The range is pretty low
(20-30 feet). There are some mods that can be made, one of which is to lengthen the antenna on the transmitter. I purchased a modded set off of a user here on these forums and their range is over 50' :-)
10-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The Gadget Infinity triggers are by far the cheapest and are good for dipping your toes in the figurative water and seeing if off-camera flash is something you really care to get into. Unfortunately, their range is so short and their reliability is so poor that they're not good for anything other than farting around with. In my experience they work well when messing around and when used at some event where you need to count on them they tend to fire about 1 shot out of 4 if you're lucky. That is extremely maddening. My Flash Waves don't have 100 percent reliability, but I would say it tends to be around 90%. I used them at a dance performance recently where I took about 170 shots in an hour and they failed maybe once, twice at the most.