Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Have you done ANY outdoors fill-flash shooting? EC and FEC are very different and most definetly affect the picture in different ways.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I can't prove it does or doesn't, but I would observe that there is really no difference between altering exposure by changing flash power versus altering it by changing aperture or sensitivity. Unless you are really trying to fine tune the balance between flash and ambient light and need explicit control of the various exposure parameters, EV compensation and FEV compensation accomplish the same thing when using flash - makes your photo darker or lighter.
If you set your ambient exposure (SS/f-stop/ISO) for the background and then use the flash to illuminate the foreground, adjusting EC (by altering the shutter speed if you're in Av) will make your background darker or lighter, and adjusting FEC (altering the flash output) will make the SUBJECT (ie person/persons you are shooting) darker or lighter. These are completely independent of one another and in no way should one say that EC~FEC.

10-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
there is really no difference between altering exposure by changing flash power versus altering it by changing aperture or sensitivity.
Just to add, changing flash power (and/or ISO/f-stop) changes the FLASH exposure, changing aperture/SS/ISO changes the AMBIENT exposure. Understanding that a picture with a flash is essentially TWO exposures is the key to great flash photography.
10-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Have you done ANY outdoors fill-flash shooting? EC and FEC are very different and most definetly affect the picture in different ways.
I stated up front that if you are trying to fine tune balance between flash and ambient light, then you do indeed need to deal with these separately. I'm just commenting that in general, if you're just looking to take a generic flash picture and have it be brighter or darker, EV compensation *does* have that effect, just as FEV compensation does.
10-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
True, but only in Auto-ISO mode. If you set a particular ISO, say 800, it will of course stay at 800 even if EV compensation is used.
that's what i meant. sorry wasn't clear enough. i was getting angry thinking about it cuz i've missed photos cuz of it.

10-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Well I guess if you're indoors and shooting so that the flash is the main (only) light source (ie the ambient exposure is pretty much darkness) than using FEC will make the entire picture brighter. But it is doing this by using more flash power than the camera's meter "suggested".

If you were doing an ambient only shot in Av mode (think dim room, high ISO, wide aperture), upping the EC would give you a slower shutter speed than what the meter suggested, and if the light levels are fairly dim, you need to be aware that you are running the risk of motion blur.

I think we are really on the same page, I just don't want things to be "oversimplified" by saying EC and FEC both brighten the image. Well, they do and they don't.....Best way to explain to folks is by explaining about flash power, flash exposure vs. ambient exposure....Unfortunately, there really isn't a "simple" way to explain this stuff. If photography was easy, everyone could do it
10-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
I think we are really on the same page, I just don't want things to be "oversimplified" by saying EC and FEC both brighten the image. Well, they do and they don't.....Best way to explain to folks is by explaining about flash power, flash exposure vs. ambient exposure....Unfortunately, there really isn't a "simple" way to explain this stuff. If photography was easy, everyone could do it
Agreed, and you're right - I probably oversimplified.