Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For some people it is also a matter of getting accustomed to a better holding technique to accommodate various ergonomics. Those of us who've come from the age of manual-focus SLR cameras, which usually have next to no grip, and some are also compact, learned to hold with the left hand from underneath for better support, with the right hand less for support and more for stability plus use of the shutter release and other controls.

I did eventually buy the battery grip for my KP, mainly for times when I use large, heavier lenses, which for me is mainly an advantage for just handling the camera when not shooting.

As to a low light zoom lens, I chose the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM. No WR, but a very well-built, well designed lens, and very sharp performance at a very good price- at least here in the US.

04-02-2020, 01:49 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One thing for sure; it is way better to invest in a 16-50 than investing €200 in having the K50 repaired externally!
Good luck with the repair! Cheers, Gerard
04-02-2020, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
For some people it is also a matter of getting accustomed to a better holding technique to accommodate various ergonomics. Those of us who've come from the age of manual-focus SLR cameras, which usually have next to no grip, and some are also compact, learned to hold with the left hand from underneath for better support, with the right hand less for support and more for stability plus use of the shutter release and other controls. . . .
lots of video to review if you like that type of thing

04-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #19

Original Poster
advantage for just handling the camera when not shooting
100% this!
the handling while not shooting

I might be a bit biased with the whole grip thing

04-02-2020, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP with the battery grip weighs about the same as the K-3 II without one, but can then provide even more battery life, as well as duplicate controls for extensive vertical shooting. In fact, for general hand-carrying when not shooting, with a big lens I like holding the battery grip by the vertical position even better.

The forthcoming new APS-C flagship will probably perform every bit as well as the KP with yet more upgrades, a deeper buffer for burst shooting, etc. etc. but as said it will also be more expensive by far than the KP with the battery grip.

And the JPEG images right out of the camera from the KP are the best I have ever seen. Its processor does a great job. Just be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the custom Image menus. No guarantee the new flagship will be quite as good for JPEGs- it may be more like the K-1 in that regard.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-02-2020 at 06:04 PM.
04-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@aslyfox- very good video for illustrating the importance of holding technique! It has so often come up in various threads.
04-12-2020, 06:38 AM - 2 Likes   #22

Original Poster
I successfully repaired my K-50!
Nevertheless I am on the lookout for a nice kp deal...

Thank you for all your opinions and help

04-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best then to wait for the new APS-C flagship to arrive, prices for the KP will drop then.
But make sure you hold a KP in your hands before you buy it.

I got used to it but I still find the K5-Series was the very best to hold im my hands.

The K30/50 second, followed by the K-70/K-S2.

But the display of the KP is a pleasure to use.

Another option would be of course a used K1.
04-13-2020, 04:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Best then to wait for the new APS-C flagship to arrive, prices for the KP will drop then.
But make sure you hold a KP in your hands before you buy it.

I got used to it but I still find the K5-Series was the very best to hold im my hands.

The K30/50 second, followed by the K-70/K-S2.

But the display of the KP is a pleasure to use.

Another option would be of course a used K1.
I suspect that even with the arrival of the new APSC flagship, the price of New KPs will not drop very much , if at all since it is a bargain at the current price in most markets. USed may drop a few dollars more just as the K-1 has 6 months after the MkII came out. But you still had to be quick on the mouse to snag a deal. New adds the warrantee which adds some piece of mind when buying also. The KP is a very good deal and a great step up from your K-50 if you decide to replace it.
05-03-2020, 06:30 AM   #25
Unregistered User

If I were you, I would get the KP. Its construction is of professional caliber. I got mine in silver and it is a beauty. The K-70 still is subject to the same problem as your K-50. There is another recent thread by a K-70 owner having this problem with a very low-use camera! One of many great things about the KP is the changeable grips. When you want to go with a small camera ensemble, yet of top quality with the ultra-compactness of a Limited lens, the smallest grip is as neat as a mirrorless, but has a built-in flash and all the goodies of a DSLR. If even the largest grip is not large enough, one can still go larger by adding the battery grip, which also has other uses, including a much greater battery life capability. It becomes a different animal. This modular design is quite unique.
I agree completely. However, I'd also suggest sending the K-50 to Precision Camera; just tell them what's wrong with it, but that they should check everything and get it back into "like new" condition. They generally handle stuff like that right quick and do a really good job in my experience (on your dime, that is, this is not true with respect to warranty issues where Ricoh is calling the shots and it can take forever to get something simple done). They charge some percentage of the cost of the thing to be repaired, generally as a flat fee, though they call it an "estimate" - I've never gotten a itemized statement from them. If you go to their website and go through the process as though you'd decided you're definitely sending it in, the website will tell you what their "estimate" amounts to, then you can decide whether to pull the trigger on the credit card or not. I think the K-50 is a great camera and ought to be saved.

Now, then, of course, I'd written all that before I saw this:
QuoteOriginally posted by NoobOnTour Quote
So now, I'm curious... what did you do, exactly, to fix the K-50? Are you happy with the results?
05-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I agree completely. However, I'd also suggest sending the K-50 to Precision Camera; just tell them what's wrong with it, but that they should check everything and get it back into "like new" condition
Not really a good idea. Precision Camera will either exchange the complete diaphragm control block which includes the culprit why this happens, i.e. the green China solenoid, or they just replace the solenoid by itself... which in both cases often leads to the same problem again.

Now, then, of course, I'd written all that before I saw this:
QuoteOriginally posted by NoobOnTour Quote
So now, I'm curious... what did you do, exactly, to fix the K-50? Are you happy with the results?
He exchanged the solenoid himself:

Manual: Solenoid Replacment Pentax K-30/50/500 + Discharge of flash-condenser - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by photogem; 05-04-2020 at 12:18 AM.
05-04-2020, 11:45 AM - 2 Likes   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
He exchanged the solenoid himself:
exactly, I bought a K-x(sadly this one just had one white solenoid) and a soldering iron

Are you happy with the results?
works like new (not sure about the WR )

the broken solenoid was interestingly very symmetrical and generally nice looking (not like the pictures I've seen from other broken ones)

I bought also a used 16-50... really nice looking one... But I'am afraid the sdm is starting acting up
05-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #28

Original Poster
Small update:

---------- Post added 05-23-20 at 06:51 PM ----------

Interestingly though I've mounted the medium grip on the kp

Can i change the brightness of the stats in the viewfinder?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
POCOPHONE F1  Photo 

Last edited by NoobOnTour; 05-23-2020 at 09:46 AM.
05-23-2020, 11:50 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, that was fast! Congrats on your new camera and I hope you will still use the soldering iron!

Cheers, Gerard
05-24-2020, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
I know *blush*

I got a used one for 500€ including a da 35 2.4AL and a tripod.

---------- Post added 05-24-20 at 11:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoGekko Quote
I hope you will still use the soldering iron!
In fact I used it two or three times since