Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #1

Repair K-50 vs new one

Hi guys,

I am in need of your valued opinion!

Sadly my K-50 is producing heavy underexposed images in automatic mode (manual lenses work still like they should)

The K-50 is about 5 years and 20k photos old.

option 1: repair K-50 (~200€) i guess the defect can happen again?

option 2: repair by myself (~50€) have to get an soldering iron, is the WR still functional?

option 3: use the chance to get a new body (K-70/KP)

The K-50 suits my "large" hands quite well.
I did not held any new Pentax bodies in my hands and with corona the shops are closed.

What would you do? Any suggestions?

kind regards
Sascha

04-01-2020, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you want to investigate another type of Pentax camera

I suggest you review the " user reviews " and " in depth " reviews under " Cameras " above

as well as this tool

Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax KP - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

you are able to compare physical size and other data

also adding a battery grip will add size as well
04-01-2020, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #3
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also try camerasize.com for comparative sizes.

K-50/KP comparison: Compare camera dimensions side by side

K-50/K-70 comparison:Compare camera dimensions side by side
04-01-2020, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I own a K-S2 (one model ahead of the K-50) and am very jealous of the features available on the K-70..
(more MP, pixelshift, accelerator unit, better buttons, 14-bit raw...)
If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the K-70.
However, keep in mind the rumoured K-New is supposed to be around the corner..
If you're more interested in the K-New, I'd fix your K-50 yourself and save the cash for the K-New.

04-01-2020, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the K-50 and the KP. There is not a lot of size difference, but the grip is different, it is interchangeable. Now in the US you get all three grips but you may not in Germany, hopefully someone can tell you. The large grip is closest to the K-50, although it is not the same. It took a little getting used to, but not too long. I have not held a K-70 so I cannot tell you about it. The KP is an incredible camera, I still have the K-50, but it doesn't get much use since the KP showed up. Check out the differences in the camera comparisons on this web site, you can compare specs on three at a time, so compare you K-50 to the KP and K-70. There are a few spec differences in the KP and K-70, so with this you can see the ones that mean the most to you.
04-01-2020, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I were you, I would get the KP. Its construction is of professional caliber. I got mine in silver and it is a beauty. The K-70 still is subject to the same problem as your K-50. There is another recent thread by a K-70 owner having this problem with a very low-use camera! One of many great things about the KP is the changeable grips. When you want to go with a small camera ensemble, yet of top quality with the ultra-compactness of a Limited lens, the smallest grip is as neat as a mirrorless, but has a built-in flash and all the goodies of a DSLR. If even the largest grip is not large enough, one can still go larger by adding the battery grip, which also has other uses, including a much greater battery life capability. It becomes a different animal. This modular design is quite unique.
04-02-2020, 12:20 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

My take on it is that I will always try to repair stuff myself. This is because I object to the ease with which stuff is discarded even when it can be repaired.

04-02-2020, 12:32 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NoobOnTour Quote
Indeed it can. Official repair will replace the bad solenoid by a weak one. And it's costly for this kind of camera.

option 2: repair by myself (~50€) have to get an soldering iron, is the WR still functional?
Probably the best if you have the skills and the good white solenoids. If you follow tutorials and especially be weary around the AF/MF button, all should go well.

If you needed an excuse to get a new camera, now you have one.
04-02-2020, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi guys,

I am in need of your valued opinion!

Sadly my K-50 is producing heavy underexposed images in automatic mode (manual lenses work still like they should)

The K-50 is about 5 years and 20k photos old.

The K-50 suits my "large" hands quite well.
I did not held any new Pentax bodies in my hands and with corona the shops are closed.

What would you do? Any suggestions?

kind regards
Sascha
If funds permit, I'd do the repair myself and hold out for the yet to be released new APS-C camera which should hit the market soonish, if I was in your position.
04-02-2020, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi guys,
. .. What would you do? Any suggestions?

kind regards
Sascha
Any suggestions?

you asked

I would search for a K 3 II myself

the grip on the KP is unique and may not be to your liking and to me the K 3 II is a better camera

[ but others I am sure would disagree ]

if you go back to my first response, you will see a side by side comparison between the 4 camera bodies

can you give us any details about what type of photography you enjoy. Perhaps there is something that could give clues as to what camera body to recommend
04-02-2020, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I recently went through the same route (although be it with a defect K30) here's my personal view. I had already decided to do a self repair, bought a broken K10 for that purpose. Then around Xmas the Kp was heavily discounted in the Netherlands, so I jumped it. (After the handling of solenoid proces by Pentax I decided no K70 for me)
The output of the Kp is outstanding, very clean Jpeg's, I am much less inclined to shoot RAW now and the low light performance is way better than my old K30.
I am still trying to get to 'grips' (pun intended) with the ergonomics though and the K30, which I have repaired in the meantime, fits my large hands just better. The funny thing is I was quite convinced the Kp was heavier, but there's only a few grams difference.
So my two cents.....

Good luck with you decision!

PS The repair is not to bad and well documented, but you do need a pencil soldering iron. On Willhaben.at there is a IstDL2 including a 28-80 and a 35-105 on offer for €50, which will give you 2 solenoids. A good price, you could sell on the second one!
04-02-2020, 05:39 AM   #12

Original Poster
First of all:

Thank you!

I hope I can answer you guys later
(the "little one" needs my attention by day)
04-02-2020, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . (the "little one" needs my attention by day)
priorities

that is understandable
04-02-2020, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went thru the exact process as you. My K50 suffered aperture block, so I bought a K70 because I needed a camera quickly for a once in a lifetime trip I was taking. I later repaired the K50 myself for $45 USD. I don't notice any difference ergonomically between the two, and the operation and layout are so close to each other, that sometimes I'm not sure which camera I'm using without looking at the name plate. If you like the feel and use of the K50, going to a K70 will be seamless. The K70, is a much better camera technologically though, and has a few added features the K50 lacks, like an articulated screen. IMO, I would not spend the money on getting the K50 repaired, instead put that toward a new K70. The repair process for the K50 is not terribly difficult or expensive if you feel comfortable doing it yourself. Then you will have a second camera that can serve as a backup, reduce lens changes, etc. However, only you can decide what's best for you.
04-02-2020, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
I guess i've got some explaining to do

back in 2015 I chose the "aging" K-50 over the new K-S2 because I liked the handling better(mainly the grip).
I did not regret that decision ever so i guess I will be happy with a self repaired K-50!
Waiting for a new flagship would only be interesting for me if the K-70/KP would drop in price as a result of this. (I definitely would want a new flagship apsc body but sadly it is too expensive)
I really like the specs of the KP especially for shooting indoors on the other hand the K-70 would be like my beloved K-50 just better.

I strongly consider repairing my K-50 by myself and wait for a nice deal to upgrade.
If the K-50 works like a charm chances I act on a nice deal are slim though

I am shooting a lot indoor these days (hunting for the little one ) on vacation or the occasional day trip.
I own the SMC-DA 35mm, SMC-DA 50mm, HD-DA 16-85mm, HD-DA 55-300mm and was thinking about getting a 16-50 f2.8 because of the low light indoor shooting(I don't want to use the flash)
The 16-85mm is my lens to go, the primes are for the occasional portrait or planned "premium" picture.