Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #1

Looking to buy k200d

Hi

Im looking to buy a Pentax K200D, i need advise on what lens kit to get. I have around 800 aus $ to spend on the camera ,and 200 $ on a good bag and SD card's.

Im getting the camera from this site

Pentax Digital SLR Cameras - Buy CHEAP dSLR

Thanks you for your time !!!

10-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Inactive Account

hi,

i bought this camera myself last week, for a similar amount. great camera!

I bought the jb hifi pack for 697, which comes with the kit lens(18-55 II), a panasonic 20mb/s 4bg card and a small, but good bag.
then i bought the sigma lenses you see in my profile (17-70 and apo 70-300) for $528(299 and 229) from Ted's and diamonds cameras, respectively. last, i sold the small bag and kit lense on ebay and got $135 for it.

in essence, the camera cost around 510, the card 50, and my new lenses 528. a good bag will set you back anywhere from 40(i got a 'premier' brand bag, which is a slightly smaller version of the lowepro 180), upto around 100 and beyond. the bag was from teds also. in this i carry the camera with the 17-70 on it, the second lense, and in the front pocket i have spare batteries, the left over lense cap and a few other tidbits.

i think a good package for $1130!

for some reason the actual camera stores were cheaper than DCW for the lenses!

If 1000 is your absolute limit, the kit lense is still very good, and perhaps you have no need for a second higher zoom lense, or you want a prime(in essence a fixed focal length, but great image quality-generally)lense.

the lenses i bought seemed to get good reviews and seemed to be the best 'bang for buck'. so far i am more than pleased with the results i've gotten att all focal lengths and several aperature settings.

i hope this helps.

if you have any other q's, please ask.

Last edited by simonr23; 10-28-2008 at 04:42 PM.
10-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The lens you choose will depend on what you want to shoot.

I bought the K200D in mid September with the kit lens 18-55 AL II at the $699 price, plus a SanDisk UltraII 4GB card for $20 at Diamonds then saw it cheaper at JB later <groan>! Got a LowePro TLZ20 bag a week later for $30 at Teds.

In use the kit lens is fairly good - I've got some very good close up images and some reasonable wide angle shots. Compared to a good prime macro or wide angle its not quite there (I speak from my film SLR days here BTW) as its a bit slower (f3.5). I'm hanging out for the Pentax 100mm f2.8 Macro (or the Tamron f2.8 90mm macro) - maybe when the AUD$ improves . In the meantime I'm trolling the second hand market.....

Anyway, as a starter when your not sure what you want I'd say the 18-55 is a fairly good lens, but if you've got specific needs then hunt around and get that. Check out the gallery in the different categories to see what people are using, but in my opinion:
  • landscapes : something around 16mm to 24mm would be appropriate,
  • macro: 50 or 100mm seem to be the go (and a 100mm doubles as a portrait lens)
  • portrait: 85 to 150 would be appropriate
  • wildlife: something in the 100 to 300 bracket - maybe a zoom, but you lose aperture

Remember that with most zooms, the aperture goes DOWN as you zoom by at least 1 stop. So the 18-55mm AL II for example goes from f3.5 to f5.6.

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers
10-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Last August I bought my K200D + Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 from DCW, Melbourne. It replaced my older K100D + Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 kit. One major problem I of my older kit is not only the darkness of the lens (f3.5-5.6) but also the lack of constant aperture for the entire focal range. A very little turn of zoom ring stops down the aperture from 3.5 to 4.0 and so on. Although f/3.5 is somewhat acceptable at wide end, f/5.6 at 50mm is a pain for me. Impossible to achieve shallow DOF. Also no constant aperture means less creative control. So if you buy Pentax 18-55mm f/3.6-5.6 or whatever similar kit lens, I am sure you will need a more brighter (f/2.8) lens with constant aperture more sooner than later. So, I think the DCW offer of K200D + Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 for $ 805.00 a bargain. According to my own experience, this Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 is very promising. It allows achieve shallow DOF and more creative control to get the best from using a DSLR. Images are very sharp at all f stops and the entire focal range. It provides a focal range of from lower end of wide-angle (36mm) to medium telephoto (90mm) in terms of 35mm equivalents. Aslo itís a DG Full Frame lens. So it gives the advantage of using sweet centre of the lens when used with an APS-C DSLR. So my only concern is lack of wide end. In return it gives a good telephoto end ideal for portraits with nice boke. Other negative points are it is heavy compared to any kit lens and filter size 77mm which will cost you bit more if you need any good polariser. Finally what I can say is now I am really enjoying photography because of the creative freedom given by this new kit. Also if you have any plan to go for a Penatx FF (????) some day in future, you will really appreciate todayís investment on a FF lens.

10-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks guys - for your time

I'm still on the front on what to buy - so ill check out the gallery.

Tom