Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I perhaps should have been more specific. There is nothing wrong with my K-70. My interest was simply back up for a number of reasons. Not a belt AND suspenders guy but I do like to be on the safe side. Of the suggestions the K-s2 looked good for the reason's given. This not to discount other models. I was focusing (pun intended) on the used market for economy. Of course the government is going to send me money they say. Pay bill, buy groceries, or a KP with the new 11-18 lens?
Well, if you can do that, I'd say go with the KP for sure. Build, dependability long-term, additional features, great handling especially for the compact Limiteds, and a great advanced set of controls. Professional standards in a compact body. You'd have two different designs, each with its own good points. I have both a K-S2 and the KP, a similar companionship. I got my KP in silver about 2 years ago, and it is a beauty.

The DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 is a great lens. But if you don't absolutely need the f/2.8 and WR, the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 (pretty close to f/2.8) EX DC HSM is a very fine performer, well built, and of very good design.

(BTW, I have relatives in North Canton. My parents grew up in Akron)

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-09-2020 at 03:44 PM.
04-09-2020, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I seem to have done it again. The KP and the 11-18 lens was a feeble attempt at humor. I am happy with the K-70 and the info you all have provided has focused my thinking somewhat. I am patient in waiting for a good deal in the "previously owned" market. Have to admit the current discount on the K-70 is tempting. Thanks for all the advise.
04-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The K5 is prone to numerous failures, especially the early ones, but there were design failures with that camera that plagued the entire lifespan. I would physically distance myself from the idea of a K5. The K5II is the camera the K5 would have been if Hoya had put a few adults in the room.
What evidence do you have of numerous failures of K5s?
04-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilipK5 Quote
What evidence do you have of numerous failures of K5s?
This forum.

04-10-2020, 02:13 AM   #20

I can only assume you are getting the K50 mixed up with the K5.
From my almost 7 years on this forum I have only seen very limited instances of K5 failures - mainly the ones mentioned in this particular thread???
Whereas the K50 has some well known issues.
My K5 has over 50,000 actuations and is in AS NEW conditions - works perfectly.
It has been my companion on many a bush walk and 4x4 trips through some of Australia's harshest deserts, along beaches, through rain forests and across snow covered mountains. I must admit however that I have never dropped it and always treat it as a piece of precision equipment. It has been caught in the rain, snow and wind blown sand on numerous occasions and always comes up clean and fully functional with a bit of a careful wiped down. Now updated to a K3 as I wanted the higher resolution sensor and quicker auto focus. I still take the K5 as a backup on bigger trips or more important occasions.
04-10-2020, 06:13 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On car trips I load for bear. No reason not to. Two cameras minimum plus my Panasonic FZ1000 and Pentax MX-1. In camera stitching on the MX-1 is a pretty neat feature. The FZ1000 and co 4K video if I am so inclined. Extra batteries for all of them. With a K1, K1-II, K3 and K5-IIs I have plenty of battery chargers, but also carry an inexpensive one that can plug into the car accessory (cigarette lighter) outlet in a pinch. That weighs little and lives in one of the side pouches of my camera bag.

I also have one of those Watson dual battery charges that you can get different battery adapters for $1.99 US, so I can use it for all my digital camera batteries. Very handy and well traveled. If you look them up on the B&H website you may be able to find one for a discontinued camera line for less that half price. Then I got the adapters I needed. That's how I got mine,
04-10-2020, 06:30 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From my almost 7 years on this forum I have only seen very limited instances of K5 failures - mainly the ones mentioned in this particular thread???
It has been my companion on many a bush walk and 4x4 trips through some of Australia's harshest deserts, along beaches, through rain forests and across snow covered mountains. I must admit however that I have never dropped it and always treat it as a piece of precision equipment. It has been caught in the rain, snow and wind blown sand on numerous occasions and always comes up clean and fully functional with a bit of a careful wiped down. Now updated to a K3 as I wanted the higher resolution sensor and quicker auto focus. I still take the K5 as a backup on bigger trips or more important occasions.
I was wondering that as well. All precision gear has a failure rate. But I haven't seen much to say the K5 was especially hit with them. Mirror flap, a common issue--probably isn't a camera issue at all but rather a battery one.
04-10-2020, 06:52 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I was wondering that as well. All precision gear has a failure rate. But I haven't seen much to say the K5 was especially hit with them. Mirror flap, a common issue--probably isn't a camera issue at all but rather a battery one.
I've seen criticisms of the K 5 and how the K 5 II and K 5 IIs corrected some of those " issues "

I haven't read anything that indicated an abnormal failure rate of the K 5 however

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I seem to have done it again. . . . .
you troublemaker

[ welcome to the club ]

04-10-2020, 08:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Donít assume. Do research. There is a camera specific sub forum. Go look at it. Start at the oldest posts and work towards the most recent.
04-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #25

Good point.
I have just gone through some of the earliest camera specific K5 posts on the forum and looking at some of the early problems identified.
From what I could see I have a strong feeling that the majority of issues identified early on have been resolved in subsequent firmware updates. Obviously things like physical damage due to transport damage before delivery is not one of them.
Software bugs seem to be a common issue with many new cameras irrespective of manufacturer, most are then resolved with firmware updates.
I purchased my K5 new in 2011 and it has never missed a beat and I would therefore highly recommend it as a second body. I have also kept up with all firmware updates.
04-10-2020, 11:25 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I've seen criticisms of the K 5 and how the K 5 II and K 5 IIs corrected some of those " issues "

I haven't read anything that indicated an abnormal failure rate of the K 5 however

you troublemaker

[ welcome to the club ]
I agree, same from what I have noticed, and this has been regarding AF with some lenses. While I mostly shoot with a KP, I still have and sometimes use my K-5 and more often my K-5 IIs with only a few lenses having AF issues with the K-5, while the K-5 IIs has been fine.
04-11-2020, 02:22 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Good point.
I have just gone through some of the earliest camera specific K5 posts on the forum and looking at some of the early problems identified.
From what I could see I have a strong feeling that the majority of issues identified early on have been resolved in subsequent firmware updates. Obviously things like physical damage due to transport damage before delivery is not one of them.
Software bugs seem to be a common issue with many new cameras irrespective of manufacturer, most are then resolved with firmware updates.
I purchased my K5 new in 2011 and it has never missed a beat and I would therefore highly recommend it as a second body. I have also kept up with all firmware updates.
My K5 was bought new in 2011, I had sent it in for warranty work in 2012 due to the camera completely freezing and becoming inoperable. I got it back from the service and within a number of months it froze and became inoperable. This time they replaced a number of items within the camera body and sent it back to me.
It was more than firmware/software updates and was not physical transport damage.

It has worked well since that second repair. Touch wood.

I was fortunate both times to have my old K10D which was pressed into service while the K5 was away for repairs.
04-11-2020, 07:06 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Good point.
So you didn't notice sensor stains, buttons falling off, control wheels stopping working, and the fact that none of the firmware updates were successful at fixing the misfocusing issues in anything other than daylight?
04-12-2020, 05:53 AM   #29

Maybe I have been lucky but my K5 is as said good as new. No sensor stain, no buttons falling off or control wheels stopping working. Auto focus is OK with the lenses that I have in all lighting conditions. Have got some great shots at evening live music concerts with my DA 55-300mm.
I don't doubt some people have had issues. But at the end of day you are getting a great camera at a very cost competitive price. My father was a professional photographer so I grew up with Leica and Rollei and when I started in film I had Nikon SLRs for many years. However when I decided to go digital the Pentax K5 with the bundled DA 18-135mm was by far the best value DSLR available in Australia at the time.
Sure you can get better camera's but for my budget it is very hard to beat Pentax.