Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2020, 06:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back up 2nd Camera

Somewhat of a surprise another person brought up the subject of a second DSLR to back-up my K-70 should it need repair (heaven forbid) or at the odd time when I need two ready lenses.. I suppose the obvious choice is another K-70 and occasionally these are available used. If, however, the K-70 is eliminated from a "list," what would be the next best choice (all my glass is DA/crop)?

04-09-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Somewhat of a surprise another person brought up the subject of a second DSLR to back-up my K-70 should it need repair (heaven forbid) or at the odd time when I need two ready lenses.. I suppose the obvious choice is another K-70 and occasionally these are available used. If, however, the K-70 is eliminated from a "list," what would be the next best choice (all my glass is DA/crop)?

K-5s are often available on the marketplace dirt cheap. I see one that might still be available now for $200. Also a K5II for $330.
04-09-2020, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd probably look for a K-S2. The ergonomics are very similar, as is the image quality. If you're comfortable with the controls and handling on your K-70 which I presume you are the K-S2 will feel the same in practice.

Personally I sold all my K-S2's (3) and decided to sell off my KP as well to stick with two K-70's. Makes my photography life simpler.
04-09-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
K-5s are often available on the marketplace dirt cheap. I see one that might still be available now for $200. Also a K5II for $330.
The K5 is prone to numerous failures, especially the early ones, but there were design failures with that camera that plagued the entire lifespan. I would physically distance myself from the idea of a K5. The K5II is the camera the K5 would have been if Hoya had put a few adults in the room.

04-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right now if I was looking for a second body, I might wait and see what the soon to be released new K mount APS-C camera has to offer, and what effect it's release has on used prices. It could be you end up making the K70 your backup. For me though, I use a K50 that I had and replaced the aperture control solenoid on to use as a backup/second camera to my K70. It is seamless in operation, form, and feel going between the two and works very well for me. I don't see myself needing to upgrade anytime soon. I've always followed the practice if I want a backup to anything I have, of upgrading what I currently have, then my current becomes a backup, as I did going from a K50 to K70.
04-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should think it is:

1. If you plan on using both concurrently then IMO it should be the same model (I have 2 spotty's, 2 K-x, 2 K-5, 2 Q's, and 2 Nikon D700's, so mostly I do this).
2. If it is truly a backup, then as you said plan on making the current dslr a back up and purchase accordingly.**
3. If there are features you would like for specific scenario(s) then again purchase accordingly (KS-2 for backpacking for me, when not the Q, because of small size/low weight, WP, and tilt screen)
_____
** Since it is a backup I think the K-5 is the most cost effective (except if great AF is important--but then maybe Pentax is not the best choice), and reliability is less of an issue--as the likelihood of the prime and backup both failing is remote--and I am surprised to hear K-5 has (greater) history of problems.
04-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my suggestion is spend a little money by renting first

and rent a K 3 II

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Discount Code from LensRental.com good for one use until December 31 - PentaxForums.com

should you like it, look for a K 3 II or a K 3

and make it your main camera with your current camera as a back up

and the K 5 series are always worth a look

K70 vs. K 3 vs. K 3 II vs. K 5 II

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-70&...=Pentax+K-5+II

one possible drawback of another K 70 is it could be subject to the same problems as your current one

04-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
one possible drawback of another K 70 is it could be subject to the same problems as your current one
I perhaps should have been more specific. There is nothing wrong with my K-70. My interest was simply back up for a number of reasons. Not a belt AND suspenders guy but I do like to be on the safe side. Of the suggestions the K-s2 looked good for the reason's given. This not to discount other models. I was focusing (pun intended) on the used market for economy. Of course the government is going to send me money they say. Pay bill, buy groceries, or a KP with the new 11-18 lens?
04-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I perhaps should have been more specific. There is nothing wrong with my K-70. My interest was simply back up for a number of reasons. Not a belt AND suspenders guy but I do like to be on the safe side. Of the suggestions the K-s2 looked good for the reason's given. This not to discount other models. I was focusing (pun intended) on the used market for economy. Of course the government is going to send me money they say. Pay bill, buy groceries, or a KP with the new 11-18 lens?
Just be aware the K-S2 has one (for me) infuriating aspect. When you start the camera (or anytime you choose menu, info, etc.) you need to hit "info" and then "info" again which brings up a status screen and you must highlight "display off". Maybe there is work around but I don't have one.
04-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Besides the camera body you also need a backup battery charger, because in this case of the K-70, when the charger dies the camera is a brick; it has no option for a battery grip (for AA batteries).
So ideally the backup camera should have the same type of battery as the K-70, and a charger should be included if you buy used.
04-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Just be aware the K-S2 has one (for me) infuriating aspect. When you start the camera (or anytime you choose menu, info, etc.) you need to hit "info" and then "info" again which brings up a status screen and you must highlight "display off". Maybe there is work around but I don't have one.
?
I never had to touch anything for the screen display. It's automatically on. If you don't want to use it flip it in and voila. Gone.

Works the same as the K-70 as far as I remember.

As for the charger I've always rece'd one with a camera, and fortunately the K-s2 the OP is leaning towards uses the same battery as the K-70. I think I have at least 8 batteries at last count and only rely on a single charger, using batteries interchangeably with all my cameras including the KP I recently sold. I've got a couple more chargers but don't typically need them.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-09-2020 at 02:39 PM.
04-09-2020, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

If it's truly a "backup" you want then the only real option is another K-70, however, if it's an alternative camera you're considering, then the world is your oyster ... virtually anything from a *istD forward! Pick the features you want and choose the body that nearest fits those requirements, they're all good, in their own way
04-09-2020, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Of the suggestions the K-s2 looked good for the reason's given... Of course the government is going to send me money they say. Pay bill, buy groceries, or a KP with the new 11-18 lens?
If you're really comfortable with the K70 handling you may not be entirely pleased with the KP. Jus'sayin'.
Rent before you buy.
04-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #14
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
?
I never had to touch anything for the screen display. It's automatically on. If you don't want to use it flip it in and voila. Gone.

Works the same as the K-70 as far as I remember.

As for the charger I've always rece'd one with a camera, and fortunately the K-s2 the OP is leaning towards uses the same battery as the K-70. I think I have at least 8 batteries at last count and only rely on a single charger, using batteries interchangeably with all my cameras including the KP I recently sold. I've got a couple more chargers but don't typically need them.
Except I want the screen off, and starting the camera there is a delay as do the steps to shut of the display--but it is mainly an issue in my theatre photography where I want a dark screen almost always but also where I may need to check the screen quickly and for an instant. Bottom line is it is unusable in that venue, and otherwise just very annoying. No other Pentax digital that I have (K-20d, K-x, K-5, Q) does this.

So if the K-70 is similar, then yes the K-S2 would be a good choice.
04-09-2020, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always believe there is a difference between back up and second body.

I shot the *istD and K10D for years as a pair. The istD was better in low light, had better, more versatile flash, supporting both TTL and p-TTL and also supporting high speed sync using the on board flash as the master.

The K10D had better resolution and shake reduction.

Not a true back up, but more of a system.

Currently I use a K1MKII and K5 as a pairing

Edit note, I still have *istD K10 and K7 , PZ1 KX and Ricoh XR2s as backups