Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2020, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the one place where the 6mpix camera might have an upper hand is color vs. more recent CMOS sensors but that's another (never ending) thread.

Let's see this little comparison battle happen!

04-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I think the one place where the 6mpix camera might have an upper hand is color vs. more recent CMOS sensors but that's another (never ending) thread.

Let's see this little comparison battle happen!
Even that... To be honest, it's much more a matter of processing than sensor technologies. And even if it could have been the case for the first few generations of CMOS sensors, it's certainly not the case with modern sensors.
04-11-2020, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Six MP is fine. Just don't enlarge the image much past 8x10 in print.
04-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Even that... To be honest, it's much more a matter of processing than sensor technologies. And even if it could have been the case for the first few generations of CMOS sensors, it's certainly not the case with modern sensors.
And that. Is another thread. For another time.

04-11-2020, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding sharpness, it's worth remembering camera manufacturers (including Pentax) used to make soft focus portrait lens that were deliberately unsharp!
04-11-2020, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
...Outdoors, you'll really benefit from something like the DA*55, designed by Jun Hirakawa back in the day to be *the* portrait lens for Pentax APS-C.
The DA*55 will only have autofocus on the K100D Super. It's easy enough to manual focus so not a big deal.
04-11-2020, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
Regarding sharpness, it's worth remembering camera manufacturers (including Pentax) used to make soft focus portrait lens that were deliberately unsharp!
I have the K 85mm f 2.2. Great fun to use.......

04-11-2020, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

BTW...the comments above regarding dynamic range have nothing to do with the range of light that might be captured in a given frame (the traditional meaning of the term). For that sense of the term, the twelve stops of brightness supported by the 6Mpx bodies should be adequate.

That aside, what is meant by the dynamic range comments is jargon for signal to noise ratio in the lower values expressed as stops of exposure. With appropriate exposure (i.e. enough light) for the low values and keeping ISOs low, degraded shadow detail should not be a problem, even with "primitive" sensors.

Steve

"...how we ever survived CCD is beyond me...rolls eyes...)
04-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K100D Supers do not seem to command much of a premium over K100D's. I don't know if there's a better 6mpix Pentax to use for this. I don't know that I would spend DA*55 money for this kind of thing though unless I wanted to keep the DA*55 anyway. Which might happen as it is a very well regarded lens.
04-12-2020, 12:03 AM - 2 Likes   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lenn11 Quote
so i made a challenge for my self, i'm trying to proof that 6 Mpx is enough for portrait photography, like 15 year ago
First of all i like to thanks all of the comments, this is my first thread on a forum and it's Super
Quick update:
After reading the comments i already learned that i made a BIG mistake
It's NOT the Question if I can make a good 6Mpx portrait, its More can i proof that 14 year old technology can make a good enough portrait in 2020.

So i bought the wrong camera for the job. maybe the K10D was a better option in 2006
But i am sticking to my K100D
i did order a Lens M 50mm 1.7. they are very cheap, only for portrait use

i will use a few things more for making the portrait a Flashlight and reflector not only ambient light.

Leendert.
04-12-2020, 12:33 AM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The DA*55 will only have autofocus on the K100D Super. It's easy enough to manual focus so not a big deal.
Yes, arguably the best lens for the job - the DFA*50 f1.4 - won't even be able to have its aperture controlled!
04-12-2020, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

its More can i proof that 14 year old technology can make a good enough portrait in 2020.
Short answer is yes, but there's no reason to either if you have better equipment on hand.

It's like asking if you could go the grocery store with a 20 years old car...
04-12-2020, 05:03 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The D-FA 50*1.4 on a K100D Super or other camera from this era would leave the lens wide-open only when shooting, right? That's perfect!

lenn11 picked the M 50 1.7, which I think is pretty great for this, especially once he figures out how to get the camera's AF system to help indicate when things are in focus. It wouldn't have been my first choice due to manual focusing fun on a DSLR (especially one that doesn't offer more modern Live View options) but it should be workable. Will be looking forward to seeing the results he gets.
04-12-2020, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It's NOT the Question if I can make a good 6Mpx portrait, its More can i proof that 14 year old technology can make a good enough portrait in 2020.
Unless the camera is broken, the answer is yes.

A K10D would probably have served you better for a number of reasons, but the camera you have is always better for the job than the camera you don't have. If you have the 18-55mm kit lens, you might want to learn with it and transition to the Pentax-M 50/1.7 you have coming. Learning metering with vintage lenses can be a challenge in itself.

Steve
04-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The D-FA 50*1.4 on a K100D Super or other camera from this era would leave the lens wide-open only when shooting, right? That's perfect!
That is correct. The D FA* 50/1.4 is KAF4 and requires a body capable of controlling the in-lens aperture motor and shoots wide open if such is not the case. That said, if one is talking this price bracket for the lens, mating it to a K100D for other than pure curiosity would be puzzling.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-12-2020 at 06:26 PM.