Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #46
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Six MP is fine. Just don't enlarge the image much past 8x10 in print.
I have several images hanging on my wall right now that are 12x18 inches from my *ist Ds and no complaints. The two images I have sold from that camera were 12x18 inches with no problems. If the customer keeps their nose at a decent distance from the image - they really can't tell the different.

By the way, those images where processed with LR in the version 1-3 era. The 20x30 inch prints I made using the same camera have gathered nothing but ooohhh's and aaaahhh's.

Remember Ernst Haas shot images with Kodachrome in the 60's that were put up on the Kodak Colorama a 18x60 ft illuminated display from a 35mm image.

---------- Post added 04-12-20 at 03:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lenn11 Quote
i had a discussion about how much ...Mpx you need for a 2020 quality portrait.
i own a 16 Mpx dslr, i don't need or want more i am convinced that a amateur don't need more
unlike my friends they shoot full frame 24 Mpx or higher, i cannot convince them that 15 year ago you can shoot good enough quality like today.
so i made a challenge for my self, i'm trying to proof that 6 Mpx is enough for portrait photography, like 15 year ago

step 1. buy a 6 Mpx pentax k100d, DONE
step 2. buy the correct lens for portrait, (i'm thinking SMC Pentax 50 mm 1:1.7) PLEASE ADVICE
step 3. get a model in and start shooting
step 4. share on pentaxforums.com
step 5. ask your opinion if i met the challenge

i will share my progression from time to time.

thanks for tips/comments

Leendert from Warsaw
Who are you trying to prove this too? Other people or yourself?

04-12-2020, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I have several images hanging on my wall right now that are 12x18 inches from my *ist Ds and no complaints. The two images I have sold from that camera were 12x18 inches with no problems. If the customer keeps their nose at a decent distance from the image - they really can't tell the different.

By the way, those images where processed with LR in the version 1-3 era. The 20x30 inch prints I made using the same camera have gathered nothing but ooohhh's and aaaahhh's.

Remember Ernst Haas shot images with Kodachrome in the 60's that were put up on the Kodak Colorama a 18x60 ft illuminated display from a 35mm image.

---------- Post added 04-12-20 at 03:39 PM ----------

Who are you trying to prove this too? Other people or yourself?
I enlarged a few images from my istD to 12x18. Due to the way digital processing works, the ''grain'' was very good, but the detail wasn't there.
I don't think talking about billboards and the like is really on topic unless that is what the OP is doing.
The biggest print I've made from a 6mp file is 16x59, which is the longest output I am able to print from my Epson 4000. It's hung pretty high on the wall, it's on the gable end of a 4/12 pitched ceiling. It's ok because of the viewing distance, but it isn't really very good.

It really depends on what level of quality is acceptable for the individual job.
As pixel counts have increased, the minimum level of acceptable quality has moved as well.

Remember that at one time, it was accepted that a trip from New York to Los Angeles would take a couple of weeks or more. Now people lose their minds if it takes longer than half a day.
04-13-2020, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would think for portraits you would be OK. Typically those are shot at low-ish iso with good lighting and don't require a bunch of dynamic range. Of course, you'll be limited with regard to print size, but even that is dependent on viewing distance.
04-13-2020, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unless the camera is broken, the answer is yes.

A K10D would probably have served you better for a number of reasons, but the camera you have is always better for the job than the camera you don't have. If you have the 18-55mm kit lens, you might want to learn with it and transition to the Pentax-M 50/1.7 you have coming. Learning metering with vintage lenses can be a challenge in itself.
On top of practicalities, I think the OP has a sort of theoretical axe to grind, too.