Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2008, 02:27 AM   #1

Dirt on sensor?

Hi guys,

I was taking some photos today with my K200D and I've noticed that all of them have something that looks like a tiny hair, at the exact same location. I've made a few tests with various lenses, and the unidentified streak remains.

Now, this is noticeable only on lower exposure photos, as you can see in the sample images below, so I'm assuming it IS dust or dirt of some kind, and not a malfunction in the sensor itself:

High Exposure (F 8.0):
http://hwzone.co.il/newspics/dan/high_exposure.jpg

Low Exposure (F 40):
http://hwzone.co.il/newspics/dan/low_exposure.jpg

What do you guys think?

10-29-2008, 04:04 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very small aperture photo of plain surface (blue sky etc) is correct to show dust on sensor filter. First time I have seen a thread - usually you get furry spots (dust bunnies).
Rocket blower should get rid of most specks.

I am intrigued to see you using aperture of F40. What lens is that?
10-29-2008, 04:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
Heya,

Using a blower seems to have removed this thread or whatever it was - I took a few snapshots similar to the ones I uploaded, everything seems fine so far, hopefully it won't come back

As for the lens, both test photos were taken with the stock 18-55 that came with the camera.. naturally I used F40 only to demostrate the problem, I don't normally shoot using that aperture (not to mention I'm pretty amateur anyway)
10-29-2008, 04:31 AM   #4

Same thing here...

I`ve had exactly the same type of issue and fixed it with a common "air" blower. I understood that spray blowers are not recommended.

10-29-2008, 06:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

i got this one DealExtreme: $3.51 YN Air Blower Cleaner for Camera Equipments seems to have worked, haven't officially checked to see if the dust was removed but from images i've taken already doesn't seem like they're on there anymore $4 + worldwide shipping? can't beat that
10-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MiniMizer Quote
Now, this is noticeable only on lower exposure photos, as you can see in the sample images below
Actually, it's not the fact that the second picture is less exposed that causes the spot to show; it's the fact that it was a much smaller aperture. You could have underexposed at f/8 and overexposed at f/40 and still seen the spot only at f/40.

Try the dust removal feature (on the setup menu) first - hold the camera upside, give it a few runs - and see if that helps. Otherwise, a rubber bulb blower, using the sensor cleaning mode to lift the mirror out of the way.