Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #1

pentax K10D battery removal question

hello people,

i have a maybe stupid question but here i go annyway...i was wondering if i should remove my battery from the camera when i'm not using it for a long time to not have risk that the batery starts to leak...at the moment i'm too bussy writing my essay for school and no time to go shoot pictures, i'm guessing i won't be shooting for around 2 months.

reasson i ask is when i came back home from a litl vacation the battery's from my pc mouse were leaking...

thnx for the help

10-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

It is always a safe thing to remove the battery when not using a machine for a while. So, yes, I would recommend to remove the battery and load it to full capacity.
10-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It certainly won't hurt, although one of the hallmarks of Lithium Ion Batteries is that they don't leak.
10-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Inactive Account

And make sure you will not leave that type of battery discharged especially for that long. With Lithium Ion just charge them to more-less half of capacity (or more) and they will be happy .

10-29-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only problem I can think of is leaving out the battery long enough may cause the camera to forget the time. I'm not going to experiment with my K100D to see how long it retains the time.

Many electronic devices have a high value capacitor that retains time while the battery is replaced if you install the replacement battery soon enough. If you leave the battery out too long they forgets the time. Perhaps someone knows from experience?

When my K110D returned from Pentax repair that capability no longer worked. Any time the battery is replaced I have to reset the time. Even a good set of cells replaced quickly will lose the time. It is a minor bug, not worth sending it back for re-repair. Especially since the K110D is used on external power most of the time.

OTOH hand if you are going to store the camera a LONG time then simply re-entering the date is a minor inconvenience. My Eneloops will go dead anyway after a month. But, I never know how long it will be to the next usage so I leave the cells in all the time.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 10-29-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added sentence