Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2020, 02:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

"Extract Color" feature

Still coming to grips with all the options available to me with my various cameras ... I've just "found" the "Extract Color" feature, which looks like it might be fun, and was wondering if this is an in-camera only option or is it available in the "Digital Camera Utility" and I simply can't find it?

I do find working on the camera screen quite limiting and am considering buying an HDMI cable for use with my TV, if that's a valid option (and I can find one in the current lock-down scenario).

I appreciate similar functionality is probably available with after-market software, but that assumes the availability of the software and the desire to become familiar with it

Thanks for any feedback

04-17-2020, 02:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What camera model?
04-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
What camera model?
K-5, KP & K-70 for sure
04-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Didn't know about that feature. What does it do? I presume it is useful if you shoot jpegs, or convert to jpeg in camera?

04-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Didn't know about that feature. What does it do? I presume it is useful if you shoot jpegs, or convert to jpeg in camera?
What does it do ... indeed ... this is exactly what I'm trying to find out!

Unfortunately, as with so much equipment these days, the features are made available then are left virtually undocumented. The "Digital Camera Utility" isn't any more helpful, at least, it doesn't seem to recognise the phrase "Extract Color", but that could simply be down to the use of a different term within the software ... all I have to do is guess what that might be

Trying to struggle with the camera's interface on a 3" screen isn't easy when I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to achieve!

I think it allows me to select one colour within the image then render the remainder of the image in monochrome, which might be termed "selective de-saturation", but I'll wait 'till I get an HDMI cable so's I can assess what's actually happening
04-17-2020, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep...It is a "digital filter" and is part of in-camera processing to JPEG or TIFF. Look in the camera user manual index under "Extract Color".

Steve
04-17-2020, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep...It is a "digital filter" and is part of in-camera processing to JPEG or TIFF. Look in the camera user manual index under "Extract Color".
Steve

I must be thick ... I've read and re-read all three manuals regarding this feature and all I can find is a cursory description of what the filter does, but not how to use it! To add insult to injury I now discover that Pentax, in their wisdom, have not one or two, but at least three different HDMI interfaces for their cameras and that the recommended "SlimPort" adaptor required for use with the KP is "currently unavailable" ... it's almost as if I'm not supposed to be able to use these features!

04-17-2020, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Extract color is exactly what it says Go to digital filter and choose a color you want to extract (Here the color blue)
choose which strength and save the file
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
04-17-2020, 11:09 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I must be thick ... I've read and re-read all three manuals regarding this feature and all I can find is a cursory description of what the filter does, but not how to use it!
I will admit to having never used the digital filter feature on my K-3, but just did. There are two ways the Extract Color filter may be applied. Here are step-by-step instructions for the K-3 with notes relevant to the KP:

To apply the filter on capture:
  • Menu -- Rec Mode 1 (3 on the KP) -- Digital Filter -- icon for Extract Color

--OR--

Control Panel -- tile for Digital Filter -- icon for Extract Color
  • The rear display will be dark with available actions at the bottom. Frame your subject and do the DOF preview switch to perform a filter check (creates a digital preview image for the rear display).
  • Press the "info" button to change to the adjust screen. There are four sliders allowing for selection of up to two different colors. The default color is a middle intensity red. You can change the color and also the selected intensity. Yes, it would be nice if there were a dropper tool.
  • When happy with the preview, press "OK" to accept and "OK" again to exit
  • Shoot until you are tired of using the filter. To turn the feature off, use either the menu or the control panel.

To apply to an existing image:
  • With the camera in review mode, choose the image you wish to apply the filter to.
  • Press the bottom of the 4-way selector to display the review mode palette and elect the icon for Digital Filter.
  • Press the "info" button to adjust the filter settings as in instructions for applying on capture.
  • When happy with the results, press "OK" to apply additional filters and "OK" again to save the filtered version of the image.

I hope this helps.

Steve
04-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
the recommended "SlimPort" adaptor required for use with the KP is "currently unavailable"
Well, that sucks! If you were not on the other side of the world, I would send you the extra one that I got on Amazon.

Steve
04-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never used the digital in-camera filters either, but based on Crooski's result above I'll have to give it a try.
04-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Just tested it on my K-5IIs. Cool feature, but perhaps a bit limited on my camera, at least. Might get a better result on computer software.
04-17-2020, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will admit to having never used the digital filter feature on my K-3, but just did. There are two ways the Extract Color filter may be applied. Here are step-by-step instructions for the K-3 with notes relevant to the KP:

I hope this helps.

Steve
Help it does indeed

I'll print that out and put a copy in my gadget bag.

Thank you so very much for taking the time. This is a feature I can see only occasional use for, but being able to do a "preview" in the field will give me the opportunity to re-frame, rather than get home only to find that the image(s) I did take didn't quite serve the purpose I was hoping for

---------- Post added 04-17-20 at 01:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Extract color is exactly what it says Go to digital filter and choose a color you want to extract (Here the color blue)
choose which strength and save the file

Nice example - thank you, I'll have to practice

---------- Post added 04-17-20 at 01:47 PM ----------

Just tested it on my K-5IIs. Cool feature, but perhaps a bit limited on my camera, at least. Might get a better result on computer software.

Indeed, a computer may give better final results, but as a preview tool, I can visualise it being very helpful
04-17-2020, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

it's a neat feature.....I don't know how to do it with my editor and the only way I know how to go with particular colors by using the digital filter on camera.....this is cleaned up some in post by removing some stray orange and yellow...……

04-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can see by these examples, this is a feature that can yield some novel and impressive results!