Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
Thx for above suggestions.
Sadly in UK at least it's difficult to find an acceptable webcam, lots of cheapies which are really low quality, other better offerings mostly sold out.
I just thought that before I buy anything I have several digital cameras here, mostly Pentax, that might be persuaded to do the job.
Ah well back to online shopping.
Do you have an old cellphone lying around that will connect to wireless (no SIM is needed for that)? It's a bit of a jury-rig, but can work just fine and you can just plug in the charger to get power as long as needed.

How to use your Android phone as a webcam for streaming | Windows Central

04-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

@acoufap's response is the key one here... In order to use it as a webcam, the HDMI out needs to be fed into a capture device. (I use the Elgato unit with a camcorder for this purpose.) But Pentax cameras don't send out clean HDMI, so they can't work here.
04-19-2020, 01:06 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Many thanks for your input. I can use my phone but I was hoping to be able to use the bigger screen on my desktop.
I understand that this is not a priority for DSLR manufacturers but it seems a pity they don't include the necessary software
given that all necessary hardware is present.
But then that's true for a number of features we might all like to see.
04-19-2020, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
@acoufap's response is the key one here... In order to use it as a webcam, the HDMI out needs to be fed into a capture device. (I use the Elgato unit with a camcorder for this purpose.) But Pentax cameras don't send out clean HDMI, so they can't work here.
I have K-1 and it works well with Blackmagic mini recorder, which captures 1080i HDMI out just fine.

---------- Post added 04-19-20 at 14:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
As far as I know unfortunately as far as I know no Pentax DSLR has clean HDMI Output.

If it had, you could use something like an Elgato Cam Link 4K to connect to your computer via USB and do high quality live streaming with or just save movies directly to your computer.

I already thought about buying a not too expensive Panasonic MFT with 4K support to do such.

Hope that Pentax some day delivers clean high quality HDMI output.
I have used Blackmagic mini recrder. HDMI from my K-1 work just fine. I have to crop it to 16:9, but that is just fine. Only problem with my K-1 is sendror banding with led lights, but that is another thing.

04-19-2020, 04:27 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In these days of social isolation and meeting via Zoom etc I find I have missed the boat as far as buying a webcam is concerned.
But I wonder if any of the Pentax DSLR's I own can be pressed into service - has any one done this? If so how?
A quick scan of manuals has not been very instructive so I turn to my top source of Pentax info - PF
If you're using Zoom or Skype, both Apple and Android phones / tablets have the Zoom app and the Skype app. So, my advice would simply be to use your phone.
04-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian

If the question is, can one use Pentax DSLR as a webcam, they it is yes. If the question is that if it is reasonable or if one could do it more simple with phone or laptop, that is another thing
04-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
If the question is, can one use Pentax DSLR as a webcam, they it is yes. If the question is that if it is reasonable or if one could do it more simple with phone or laptop, that is another thing
Actually my original post above about Android was about how to use the phone as a webcam input for your computer not to do anything else. There are a number of apps that will allow this. See How to use your Android phone as a webcam for your PC | Digital Citizen

04-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This open source software might be of use:

Open Broadcaster Software | OBS
11-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I don't think any current or discontinued Pentax DSLRs support high definition video output through the USB port. That eliminates software only solutions. Several of the newer models support HDMI video output, and there are devices to capture the HDMI signal and convert it to a streaming format to be sent to your computer via a USB cable. Unfortunately, the last time I looked for one of those, they were $300 Canadian and up and my cameras don't provide a high definition video output (even if they record to the memory card in HD), so I dropped that plan.

---------- Post added 04-18-20 at 09:56 AM ----------

In a pinch a smartphone with the mobile Zoom, Whatsapp, etc. app installed will handle everything for you (the webcam, video capture, audio, streaming software and network connection), but performance won't be as good as with a desktop computer.
I am using IV Cam app on my Android phone, I think it's about <$10 as webcams seem to be mostly out of stock when we started having Zoom meetings. I could NOT find a Pentax dSLR method. I have a Samsung J3 Prime and the image quality is better than most webcams, I have also tried in on a Motorola Moto G7 Play (and the video is better) I however do suggest using a headset as the phone picks up ambient noise too well

I have a cheap smartphone tripod mount and my collection of various odds and ends made it easy to set the phone where I wanted it. Everyone on my photo club Zoom meeting comments on my camera looking so much better
11-24-2020, 01:04 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I agree with others, buy a dedicated webcam. There are plenty of good ones about for not much money.
11-24-2020, 06:00 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Unfortunately Pentax not only doesn't have clean hdmi output but the output resolution is pretty substandard. Getting it working would be a pita and you'd be better off buying something like a c920.
11-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Unfortunately Pentax not only doesn't have clean hdmi output but the output resolution is pretty substandard. Getting it working would be a pita and you'd be better off buying something like a c920.
Well, the output's just what would be sent to the 3" screen on the back, right? It's not up to what gets recorded on the SD card.

And like most stills cameras, you'd have to put a video capture card or dongle onto your computer, which does its own mangling. Much better to get a webcam with a long USB cable.
11-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another alternative is to pick up the cheapest supported camera on Canon or Nikon's list, maybe one that has a broken XYZ on eBay and use that with the cheapest, dirtiest manual focus lens you can find. I do have a couple cameras supported by one of those webcam apps, but I would never use it because they are too nice and I don't want to wear them out. (not sure if this is founded in fact, but it makes me nervous.)
11-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, the output's just what would be sent to the 3" screen on the back, right? It's not up to what gets recorded on the SD card.

And like most stills cameras, you'd have to put a video capture card or dongle onto your computer, which does its own mangling. Much better to get a webcam with a long USB cable.
Most brands can at least do 1080p through the HDMI.
11-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thx for above suggestions.
Sadly in UK at least it's difficult to find an acceptable webcam, lots of cheapies which are really low quality, other better offerings mostly sold out.
I just thought that before I buy anything I have several digital cameras here, mostly Pentax, that might be persuaded to do the job.
Ah well back to online shopping.
I cost would think that a webcam, even a high end one would be significantly lower in cost than a DSLR, even an older one. A web cam is constructed specifically for internet use while a DSLR is not. I'd suggest going for the webcam, the end results would most probably be much better. My humble $0.02.