Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2020, 01:00 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Bit of a pain to use glasses on the KP in my experience. I've gotten used to smushing my face right into it but it's not ideal

04-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #17
Pentaxian

For my part, I have quite severe astigmatism in my right ("shooting") eye, and so the first thing I check when buying a new cam body is the OVF to see if I can see the full screen with specs and without difficulty - that immediately eliminated all the very early DSLRs, but the K5, K-3, K-3 II and K-70 have all been fine.

OTOH, for the last year or so, I've been using very good and carefully prescribed varifocals, and they work fine when looking through the OVF but I do have to take them off when viewing the rear screen as the "accommodation" in my right eye is insufficient to see it clearly with the specs on.
04-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Most of us are not focusing anymore via viewfinder.
I haven't seen a poll taken. I always have over my 45 years or so using SLR cameras.

---------- Post added 04-21-20 at 02:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EepHour Quote
Hey there, fellow eyeglass wearers: can you see the edges/corners of your viewfinder without resorting to ocular gymnastics?
Is there a difference between the APS-C cameras and the K-1 in this regard?

Does an eye relief distance specification take a total screen view into account?

-Thanks!
What camera body do you use? I checked just now, and noticed a slight difference between my KP and my K-5 IIs. I can see everything in the VF with both cameras, but just a little easier with the K-5 IIs. There was a slight increase in magnification of the VF in the KP now at 95x vs. the K-5 at 92x. Both provide 100% of the frame in the VF.

I generally wear glasses, and until the last few years I always kept them on during shooting. With some camera models in the past, I had to adjust my face position somewhat to see various areas of the VF. Not so with my current camera bodies. I usually wear flexible frames, and with or without glasses I can angle my face to get my eye as straight-on as possible while pressing into the VF cup. With glasses on, I can then feel my eyelashes brush against the inside of my glasses slightly.

After my cataract surgery a few years ago, I lucked-out in that the implant lens has given me ideal vision for using the VF as set at default diopter, without wearing glasses. I can also see distance ok without glasses, but I wear glasses anyway with a slight "fine tune" correction. So now I can either wear them or not for driving, for reading or for shooting, but slipping them off is far better for focusing, without adjusting the diopter. I can see everything in the VF ok with or without glasses, but more easily and more clearly without. I usually just flip them up over my head when shooting.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-21-2020 at 02:43 PM.