Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #1

Viewfinders and Eyeglasses

Hey there, fellow eyeglass wearers: can you see the edges/corners of your viewfinder without resorting to ocular gymnastics?
Is there a difference between the APS-C cameras and the K-1 in this regard?

Does an eye relief distance specification take a total screen view into account?

-Thanks!

04-18-2020, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wear glasses 100% of the time while shooting; all three of my camera bodies have the O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece, which helps...

I normally don't look for corners/edges very often in the viewfinder, only where my subject is at...
04-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Can't help with a K-1 comparison, but on my APS-C cameras my eye needs to be fairly exactly central to enable a reasonably full view of the screen. I do have one of the Pentax Viewfinder Magnifiers, O-ME53, which can help when manually focussing, but that restricts the field of view even further. Removing the spectacles and adjusting the viewfinder on the camera can give a clear image in the viewfinder, but can make it difficult to see the subject in the first place, so it's all a bit of a compromise ... the design of your spectacle frames may be a factor to consider, smaller spectacle lenses may allow the eye to get closer to the viewfinder ... I've got used to it
04-18-2020, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have fairly far protruding frontal bones, so I tend to push my glasses inwards towards my eyes with the eyepiece a bit. Makes for always greasy glasses. Then I can just see the full picture and status line on the K-1, but only the full picture or picture with the status line and dark top corners on the K-5 and KP.

04-18-2020, 03:00 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the diopter adjustment on the camera viewfinder is sufficient, can you manage without glasses? That's what I do. I believe the range on the K-1 is -3.5 to 1.2 dpt.
04-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If the diopter adjustment on the camera viewfinder is sufficient, can you manage without glasses? That's what I do. I believe the range on the K-1 is -3.5 to 1.2 dpt.
That's what I used to do, but quickly became tired of putting my glasses back on/off. I'm like Pepperberry now, I wear the glasses fulltime, with or without the help of a VF magnifier. It did take a short while to make the adjustment.
04-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shoot with sunglasses and my K-1 frequently - don't have to remove the sunglasses to see the OVF in its entirety. It might be different with prescription eyeglasses - can't say.

04-18-2020, 07:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EepHour Quote
Hey there, fellow eyeglass wearers: can you see the edges/corners of your viewfinder without resorting to ocular gymnastics?
Is there a difference between the APS-C cameras and the K-1 in this regard?

Does an eye relief distance specification take a total screen view into account?

-Thanks!
I wear glasses but I remove them when I use the O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece on my K-3 and I have no trouble at all seeing everything, corner to corner and edge to edge. I tried a different brand of magnifying eyepiece and it restricted the view too much for me. I've tried wearing my glasses when shooting but its way too uncomfortable. Fortunately the K-3 diopter adjustment range works for me without glasses.

Larry
04-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wear trifocals and could shoot K-1 with my glasses or sunglasses on and the diopter adjusted to compensate, but I have issues changing my focal area from through the VF to at the edge LCD’s (I must change ‘lenses’ to see distance). I also have trouble finding the center spot of the VF because my center ‘lens” is corrected for 24”. Consequently I wear my glasses on a neoprene keeper and remove them when shooting and do my best not to chimp. I put them. on to change settings in the Menu when absolutely necessary and for LiveView. I use manual focus lenses more than AF lenses.

I can’t shoot with glasses on KP or K-5lls under any circumstances - without them I can see everything in the VF but I can’t manual focus without glasses in the smaller VF and with them I can’t see the margins.
04-19-2020, 04:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Most of us are not focusing anymore via viewfinder. I kept/keep my glasses on when using K5, K3, K1. Diopter adjustment set to 0. Can I see everything with glasses on? Yes, more or less, for composition and checkin of controls, you need to look around a little. Long eye point finders have always been nice, even before wearing glasses, today I appreciate them even more.
Long eye point finder, shutter blinds for the finder,... are the little features that add to the overall feeling of a camera. Removable screens/finder used to be even more important.
04-19-2020, 04:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wear glasses for distance, early on with one of my film cameras, I would have my camera set to my native eyesight, and take the glasses off to shoot. As my eyesight worsened, I found it a real pain to switch between so I just set things up to shoot while wearing glasses. I’ve been shooting with this set up now for 30+ years.

Fortunately I don’t have A complex prescription So it is not an issue to wear glasses and shoot.

It’s funny though, considering I went from film to cropped sensor DSLR and now to full frame, with a K1 I never thought about the change in viewfinder image size or the edges of the frame, they are there, and I don’t have any issue seeing the whole image, and today I work seamlessly between a K5 and K1
04-19-2020, 04:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I wear trifocal glasses so using them on a camera viewfinder is a focal gymnastics workout so I got tired of that and lived with it being so so with the diopter adjustment or magnifying viewfinder cover on my apsc cameras. On my K1 mkll it adjusts well enough for me to see fairly accurately so I keep my classes on a tether.
04-19-2020, 05:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

As a birder as well as a camera user (I hesitate to call myself a photographer !), I had great difficulty in seeing through binoculars, spotting scope and camera. Then I read somewhere (over 20 years ago, so can't recall where) that using small, circular wire-framed (or even rimless) spectacles would enable me to get a wider field of vision, so I did so. When I got them, they were called 'John Lennon' type - now they're called 'Harry Potter' ! Have a word with your optician, see what can be obtained. I also got mine stronger than the recommended prescription, to give me better distance vision (after explaining why), and since then, I've never looked back (pun intended !).
04-19-2020, 05:53 AM   #14
Forum Member

It's a question of the distance from the eye to the ocular whether you can see the whole viewfinder or not. So it depends on the type of spectacles you use.

When pressing my frameless spectacles on the viewfinders rubber it works just fine, but the spectacles are smeared by the eye brows. So I prefer using the diopter correction if circumstances allow (-2,5 dpt).

As far as I remember, it works a little better with the K-1 than with APS-C models.
04-19-2020, 08:28 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the good information. Seems the K-1 has a finder which could work with my simple prescription.

To think, I once thought glasses were cool; hoped that someday I’d need them. Oh, youth.