Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2020, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #1

Should I finally invest in a K-1?

I currently have a K10D, K-5 and K-3. I don't shoot as much as I did when I lived in Maine but I keep thinking I sure would like a full frame camera.

I really don't want to invest in more lenses since I have most of the Limited primes. Will they work with a K-1?
Will there be any shortcomings for not using a lens designed for the K-1?

What are the benefits of a K-1 over a K-3?
I have to believe this has been discussed in previous threads but I got away from this forum because of other things in my life and I just haven't kept up.

Are there any new cameras on the horizon from Pentax or does it look like the K-1 is the last DSLR in the works?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

04-24-2020, 07:26 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

If I were you, I'd wait for the upcoming APS-C flagship. I was in a same boat a few years ago, jumped onto K-1, and while it's a great camera, I found out I don't really need the advantages of Full Frame, while I certainly miss the framerate, smaller files and responsiveness of K-3 II.
04-24-2020, 07:29 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Not in this trying times.
04-24-2020, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi there, which limiteds do you have?, the 31, 43 and 77 are full frames, the DA's are not, really but some can be used in FF mode with some limitations.
What is driving your desire?

04-24-2020, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Acquiring camera gear is rarely an "investment", unless you become a highly paid professional. For the rest of us it's just a cash drain :-(. That being said, As BarneyL suggests the upcoming APS-C might well be the answer for you. I use both a K-3 and a K-1, and I find I constantly switch back and forward between the two formats. I earn a modest income from photography, or rather I did before the virus, and for that work it's 100% K-1. However, the K-3 is probably my preferred choice for personal work because of the size of the set-up. The upcoming APSC will be well worth considering, I'm hoping ...
04-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You need to replace all your DA lenses to take advantage of the K-1. The official Pentax compatibility list is the one to trust. People on this forum tend to suggest more lenses work but thats not true in my experience.

The ff files are richer and cleaner but not massively so. Depth of field is noticiable more shallow meaning its very difficult to get enough dof for landscape work but easy to do shallow dof portraiture.
04-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here is my standard advice

consider spending a little money, rent equipment and have your own trials/experiences

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

if you do rent, please consider adding your experience, good or bad, to the above thread

LensRentals have several discount offers running now

take a look here:

Pentax Price Watch - PentaxForums.com

[ and I have no interest in any such companies ]

04-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
. . . the DA's are not, really but some can be used in FF mode with some limitations.. . .
QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
04-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
You need to replace all your DA lenses to take advantage of the K-1. The official Pentax compatibility list is the one to trust. People on this forum tend to suggest more lenses work but thats not true in my experience.

The ff files are richer and cleaner but not massively so. Depth of field is noticiable more shallow meaning its very difficult to get enough dof for landscape work but easy to do shallow dof portraiture.
Not true at all!
The DA 40 is great on the K-1, as is the DA*55 (with a little vignette up to F/4, and the DA*50-135 is very nice in square crop mode. Also all those great older manual lenses as well as the new IRix lenses are reasonably priced for additional options with a K-1 either MkI or MKII.
04-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
I sure would like a full frame camera
"like" is the operative word. The K-1 is a great camera. If you want it and can afford it, why not? I have and use the K-3II and the K-1II depending on the situation. As to lenses you have the 31, 43 and 77 as well as the A 50mm and the 100mm macro. All of those are native full frame lenses. Your DA Limiteds will work on the K-1 only in crop mode.

I thought I would move to FF when I bought the K-1 but I found that I like both FF and APS-C formats depending on what I am shooting. I have adjusted my glass collection some so that the only APS-C lenses I now have are the DA 12-24 and the DA 16-85. Everything else can be used on either camera.
04-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you can afford it why not. My progression through Pentax DSLR's was K5, K5-IIs, K3, K1 and K1-II. Once I got my K1 they APSc cameras pretty much sat unused. The K5 is now gone. The images from the K1 have a quality that I cannot describe in any other word than delicious. They crop beautifully. You have much better low light capability over the K3 and a bit better than the K5. Autofocus is better too.

B&H has some very good package prices on the K1-II right now.
04-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Benefit of K1 over K3: larger sensor format, better low iso... and a couple year younger technology compared to K3. AF feels faste4 and more precise.

If sensor format is on your list yet, keep what you have and wait for the next with K3 size sensor. Sensor size has large effect on lens compatibility. DA glass will not cover K1 sensor.
04-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #13

Original Poster
Here is my current inventory of lenses:

SMCP-DA 15mm F/4 ED AL HD Limited, Silver
SMCP-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL HD Limited, Silver
SMCP-FA-31mm-F1.8-Limited;
SMCP-FA-43mm-F1.9-Limited
SMCP-FA-77mm-F1.8-Limited
SMC-A-50mm-F1.4
SMC-FA-100mm-F2.8-Macro
SMC-DAL-18-55mm-F3.5-5.6-Zoom
Tamron-AF-18-250mm-F/3.5-6.3 DI II LD

Is there any information on the new APS-C camera? And idea of a release date? Sorry for being out of the loop for so long.
04-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Is there any information on the new APS-C camera? And idea of a release date? Sorry for being out of the loop for so long.
nothing but rumors

IMHO
04-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #15

SMCP-FA-31mm-F1.8-Limited;
SMCP-FA-43mm-F1.9-Limited
SMCP-FA-77mm-F1.8-Limited
SMC-A-50mm-F1.4
SMC-FA-100mm-F2.8-Macro
You have very good set of full frame lenses already. I have 31, 43, 77 and FA 100 macro myself and I have enjoyed all of
them more with K-1 than I did with K-3.