Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2020, 03:44 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I can't believe I missed this thread are we talking about K-1s?

It was pretty coomon phenomenon when it first came out....
People went for a look somewhere, held one in their hands and bought it on the spot.
I had that exact experience.

I didn't pre-order, but at lunchtime on the day of release I drove over to a dealer and they had one in stock. The counter person unboxed it and got a M50 from the used case.. When I picked it up and turned it on (the battery had a partial charge out of the box) the counter person told me she hadn't seen that kind of grin since a couple doctors had brought their father in to buy him a 645Z for his 70th birthday

I of course bought it on the spot. Two minutes, literally. They threw in a smorgasbord of 64GB cards, a cheap tripod, a cheap flash and some other garbage. I just wanted to get out of there and go home to get lenses while I waited for them to bag it all up. Took the afternoon off

04-25-2020, 04:11 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back to the OP. Short answer: YES.

Your FA31 will behave like an entirely new lens. In a good way.
The other FA Limiteds are also (IMHO) better on full frame, and your A50 and 100 macro will work just fine as well.

I would keep the DA15 and DA21, and one of your crop bodies. Definitely consider the DFA28-105 as a kit with the K-1.
04-25-2020, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I should mention there is one better camera than a K1. A silver K1.
04-25-2020, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I should mention there is one better camera than a K1. A silver K1.
I wish I had one, with a black K-3 and black K-5 in the house, it would end confusion. I've actually walked out the door with the wrong camera.

04-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish I had one, with a black K-3 and black K-5 in the house, it would end confusion. I've actually walked out the door with the wrong camera.
That's when having a 645Z in the house is handy. Except when you walk out the door with the wrong lenses

But yeah, Silver K-1 FTW.
04-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
That's when having a 645Z in the house is handy. Except when you walk out the door with the wrong lenses

But yeah, Silver K-1 FTW.
You're not old enough to do stuff like that yet.
04-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
You're not old enough to do stuff like that yet.
I haven't done it yet

04-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I pondered over the last few years wethor or not to get the K1, I already have two K3s and a K5, but I felt I needed the K1, Ive had one for two months now and I am not regretting it one bit. if I were you I would keep the K3, reason being is my K3 has its place in my bag of gear, mainly for the frame rate denser resolution and for the reach on my telezooms which I have a 55-300 PLM and a 150-450. I love the IQ of my K1 and am amazed at the DR of this camera, I like the way it handles and does just what I want it to do without diving into menus just to make a small change. I can use the camera and keep my eye on the viewfinder and make adjustments all the while with ease. I will be using my K1 mostly for studio work and for landscapes, I have already done some macro work with it and am impressed.
I have learned with Pentax, that you should just get what you can afford NOW, dont wait until the next big thing comes out with them, because you will be waiting for ever and during that time you can be shooting some awesome images with existing gear.
I got the K1 for $1k and they can be had for that amount easily if you know where to look, in fact there is one for sale at the moment here in the marketplace, you might wanna go and check that out.
Buy now so you can shoot NOW, thats my motto...
04-25-2020, 10:38 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
No one here who owns a K-1 has said anything like that.
I was more referring to what Barney/zapp said (on page 1) who suggested waiting for details on the next APS-C camera, prior to acquiring something new. Based off the camera bodies the OP says they have, that feels like good advice. The idea that the advantages to FF are more negligible now with more modern cameras, and might be even moreso with this upcoming new advancement, before OP begins to go down the road of investing in a bigger sensor (and the changes that come with that). As someone who likes to double-wield K-1/K-3, I would ride a K-3 out since the successor is actually a reality.
04-25-2020, 11:50 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
That is why I used it as an example of something to consider. For me a big part of my shooting is astro so that is why I chose that as an example of a consideration, that and going from a 400/2.8 to a 600/4 lens is another huge expense that I don't want to think about doing. So for me a high end APS-C and 400/2.8 would provide better cheaper results than a FF and 600/4. Yes I know there is the 1.4x-L converter but I still lose that 1 stop of light. Your preferred subjects and shooting style may show a different result if you do a similar analysis. Then there is the "I want it because" factor and there is nothing wrong with that and it doesn't require any other justification either.
You logic is very good. But in the case of the OP, he has a set of excellent shorter FF prime lenses that would be of exceptional value on FF, especially the FA 31mm and 43mm Limiteds, the way I see it. And if he never or rarely needs anything of longer FL than these fine prime lenses, in that case a FF body with the 28-105mm WR lens would be fine to suit his needs. And he already has APS-C covered for extra-wide angle and compact carrying, plus a super-zoom lens.

I share some of his situation and also identify with your reasoning- I would much rather go about my activities with say my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 on my KP than a DFA* 70-200mm f/2.8 on a K-1. To get the equivalent of my DA* 200mm f/2.8 or FA* 300mm f/4.5 with a FF body, I'd be hauling around some honking big lenses! The IQ I am getting now is excellent for what I do. Any FF I might get would definitely be in the interests of the shorter FF lenses I have.

That peek of the new APS-C body is looking quite interesting also, and that step might come first. It might be so good as to make me part with my K-5 and K-5 IIs!

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-26-2020 at 11:59 AM.
04-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #56
Pentaxian

I can't believe I missed this thread are we talking about K-1s?

It was pretty coomon phenomenon when it first came out....
People went for a look somewhere, held one in their hands and bought it on the spot.
I goes beyond a theoretcdial analysis.

I was buying a lens from MightyMike, and selling him a few to defray the cost. He said "You want to hold my K-1." I was hooked. Had one a week later. I was recovering from hip surgery or I might have run off with his.

It's one of those things, 90% of the time it makes no difference. 5% of the time it makes a little difference, 5% of the time you look at an image and think "my K-3 couldn't do that."

Once you have a camera that's good enough every new body is like that. You buy for that little bit of difference, every now and then.

normhead, you are a professional photographer for me - I'm a total amateur towards you, so this text of yours sounds very humorous / funny to me
maybe I don't understand sarcasm (as does Sheldon Cooper)

I had my wedding photography, I used my K30 as my main tool, and then I borrowed the latest K1 for backup, otherwise I borrowed K3 + DA * 50-135 / 2.8 as a slave, borrowed K1 +15-30 / 2.8 + 70- 200 / 2.8 I used to photograph newlyweds outdoors in the old castle, solo and with godfathers, K30 + DA12-24 / 4 + DA17-70 / 4 + F50 / 1.7 for everything else, after a month I sold all APSC: K30 + DA12-24 / 4 + DA17-70 / 4 + DA55-300 / 4 - 5.8, retained Pentax F28 / 2.8 + F50 / 1.7 + Tokin atxprosv 28-70 / 2.8 and bought that used K1 (only I used it actively before and the rest of the interested people just kept my hand on the counter), I borrowed on my credit card to make up for the amount of money I missed from selling APSC equipment, now I've added more Pentax to the kit FA 80-320 / 4,5-5,6 and ProMaster Spectrum7 19-35 / 4,5-5,6, I enjoy amateur photography like never before in APSC format and I'm not sorry about the money spent (shallow dof and dynamic range at elevated ISOs are my love), I eagerly awaited the DFA70-21 0/4 to replace FA 80-320 / 4,5-5,6 and that's why I'm very curious to read reviews on the DFA70-210 / 4, the replacement will be paid again by borrowing on a bank card because I'm not really sure I will sell the FA 80-320 / 4,5-5,6 more, sold only ProMaster Spectrum7 19-35 / 4,5-5,6, for which I can get approx.80~100 euros in Europe at my house (I am the first owner because I bought a new one in the original packaging and I use it very little)

don't get me wrong, I'm just writing my observation

Last edited by mbukal; 04-26-2020 at 09:58 AM.
04-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #57

Original Poster
Thanks for all the excellent input here. Your answers are making it tough to decide on the one hand but also giving me good reasons to wait for the new camera.

Do you guys think there will be a price drop for the K-1 II once the APS-C is available?
04-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably not. Really It is in a different market, and already at a very good price point for a 36mp FF DSLR. During the past 8 years or so, since the appearance of the K-5, APS-C has been pushing the difference envelop against FF designs for low noise and high quality imaging. Substantially more so with the arrival of the K-70 and especially the KP for all-around quality. The new APS-C model may reduce that gap even more, and in that sense may possibly lure some interest away from FF.

For the reasons given, however, having both systems will remain the ideal situation, but the new camera's performance being very close to stealing some of the thunder of having a FF body would be an additional plus!
04-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
Do you guys think there will be a price drop for the K-1 II once the APS-C is available?
I don't think so. If the new camera were to be a full frame yes but not an APSc release. They are two different animals! However, with the current pandemic situation and dramatic drop in sales across the industry, there may be a chance that the prices may drop for everyone, including Pentax. If you are not in a hurry, and you don't have to have it today for a project or specific reason, then wait a few more months and see what happens to prices.