Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2008, 06:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I went ahead and ordered the chinese version from jinfinance. $30 shipped not a big deal.

What the heck, I am going to deal with exposure problems regardless so its just a matter of compensating. I appreciate all the work some of you are doing because it does help to have at least some idea on what to expect. I just need to get to know my equipment better.

I will say again that this is realitively new to me and sometimes I feel like beating my head against a wall, but that just part of the learning process.
Bottom line, I LOVE THIS STUFF!!

Thanks again all.

Oren

BTW, ditto on the info for the nikon/pk adapter

10-31-2008, 07:30 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Warranty Question

Does installing one of these things void your Pentax warranty, or extended Pentax warranty?
10-31-2008, 07:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'd say that as long as you keep the original screen anyway, and put it back before sending the body in for repairs, you're off the hook...
10-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Does installing one of these things void your Pentax warranty, or extended Pentax warranty?
There are two issues to consider here, just to be clear.

If you complain to pentax about metering, and send the camera in with this screen, they will do nothing, exxcept perhapos charge you because the camera is "modified" and they don't support modifications.

Also, if you have damaged the mechanism by changing screens, they will again charge you for this, even though the screnes are user changeable.

If, however, you retrun the camera with an "approved pentax screen" which is any one listed in the manual and the changing of screnes is NOT related to the issue with the camera, then the camera would be considered to be still under warranty (assuming it has not expired)

11-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #20
jlp
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
a bit off topic, but I would love to know how the nikon to PK adaptor works, and whether it is optically compensated to correct for infinity focus
I also am very interested on your perceptions of the Nikon/PK adapter from both a close to inifinity focus perspective. Also, a mention of the Nikon lens(es) you are using would be useful. Thanks.
11-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlp Quote
I also am very interested on your perceptions of the Nikon/PK adapter from both a close to inifinity focus perspective. Also, a mention of the Nikon lens(es) you are using would be useful. Thanks.
My interest is because a friend has a log of nikon film equipment, but he wants a smaller body than what nikon offers that is compatible. He is looking at Olympus at present, because he can get mount adaptors that do not use optical correction since the 4/3 lens mount is closer to the focusing plane, and there is room for a hollow tube., The one from jinfinance has a corrector lens, and I have had one responder in another thread (see lens forum) comment these types of adaptors are very poor. I'm hoping someone has one and can comment
11-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Haven't had a chance to evaluate the Nikon/PK adaptor yet. Have taken a couple of shots but nothing scientific. Initial feeling is you need to stop down a bit which defeats my interest in using the Nikkors.

I'll attempt a comparison between various Nikkors (inc the legendary 105/2.5) and my Zooms (16-45 & 50-200) at similar focal lengths.

What I did decide was it was hard work using the histogram/lcd to determine exposure! My Sunny 16 is a bit rusty.

I'll start a new post when I manage it.

On another aspect more related to the original topic, with the split screen I bought exposure and focusing with the zooms seems to be identical to it was, so no adverse outcomes there.

Cheers, Nige

11-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Nikkors on Pentax K-mount

About the Nikkor to PK, Carpents has done a lot of pioneering and I've linked some stuff below.

I have used some Nikon-mount lenses on my K100D, but they are not securely locked on. Doing this on a newer Pentax with the additional contacts for in-lens-focusdrive seems to be much harder (see the second link).

It seems there is a higher probability to put on a Nikkor on Pentax if it is pre-AI or even preset (meaning: least protruding parts on the back).

I still have to go the way described in the last link. It's french but the pics say it all.

@dlacouture, sorry for having hijacked your thread, but hey, you can read my last link!

Carpents' experience:
The Nikons Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/4852-nikon-pentax.html
Using Nikon F Lenses On Pentax K Bodies (LBA Post): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Pentax-bayonet-mod and then look at what lenses you can put on:
Adaptation d'objectifs via des bagues [Topic Unique] - Objectifs - Photo numérique - FORUM HardWare.fr

Best, Georg (the other)
11-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
...Sometimes I think it's a pity many of us have to overcapitalize on such highly technical pieces of equipment simply to continue with basic photography in the digital environment. Someone please bring out a nuts-and-bolts manual DSLR!!
It is nice to see that someone else wants a camera with less bells/whistles. I would love to have something like a digital MX (full manual) or something with auto-exposure using modal controls (SV with shutter speeds set on the body, AV with aperture set on the lens.) Such a camera would be FF. As long as we are making wishes, it would be nice to get rid of the crippled mount and built-in flash as well.

It might also be nice to support mechanical auto-focus with an accessory grip to save on weight and bulk.

Oh, dream, dream, dream...

Maybe someone over at Cosina could build such a tool...

Steve