Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #1

external battery pack for KX?

I have had the KX for a long time, but it has always been hard on batteries. Whenever possible, I have used an external DC adapter I made but recently had some issues and replaced with a new one. I modified the connector between the DC adapter and the camera with a quick disconnect and now I'm thinking that it would be easy to use a 6 V battery and just strap it to the tripod or on my person for field trips. I have always used these batteries for my astronomy equipment. They have been fantastic performers, hold charge well, and are not much affected by heat or cold, but the problem is I don't see these in 6 V versions. Some have dual split 12/5 V, but I don't think 5V is quite enough voltage for the KX. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thank you in advance. With a camera this old, budget is a factor.

04-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am assuming you have the digital camera not the film one. If so you have k-x. The KX was a Pentax film camera. Not nit picking, many people with pertinent info might assume you are talking about a film camera and not read your post.

I did find this thread: is there a cheap battery eliminator for the kx or DIY?? - PentaxForums.com that might have some information. The k-x was always hard on batteries, back in the day we finally settled on using Eneloops as the best AA for it. But for Astro that might not really be any help. Check the thread out hopefully it will be of some help.
04-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Using 5V should not be a problem.
Rechargable AA are 1.2V so K-X run fine on 4.8V.
04-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I owned an adapter made by pentax for the K-x. It connected to the electricity directly so I don't know if helps at all. They are also quite difficult to find but just letting you know that they exist.

I just found the name: Pentax K-AC84 AC Adapter

04-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the adapter mentioned above you could use a small amperage inverter that would run off standard car batteries. Something like this: amazon.com: BYGD 500W Car Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Converter Dual Outlets with 3.1A 4 USB Ports Car Charger Adapter: Car Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20& I just picked one at random for illustration
04-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, all, but I found a spare DC to DC converter I had in storage. It is able to reduce the voltage from the 12V Li Ion battery to the 6V needed for the camera. For testing, I recorded an hour of video yesterday and, other than the temperature indicator appearing on the camera LCD, the battery lost very little, if any charge so I think this will work out just fine.
04-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The battery should last pretty much forever with only the camera draw. If I remember right the k-x would shut off after maybe 15 minutes of video when I tried it. Is that still true and you are shooting clips or did you find a way to go for an hour? Sorry if that sounds dumb I do not do much video.
04-30-2020, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
No, I've not had problems with video up to 23 minutes continuously. Longer continuously, I'm not sure because my card would only hold that much. When I tested the battery, I simply would delete each 20 minute segment and immediately start recording again. After about 45 minutes, the temperature icon appeared on the screen, but the camera did not shut off.

I read years ago that the AA batteries also contributed to the heating, so now using a separate battery and/or AC power adapter would move heating away from the camera.

04-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #9

HI
I use a Quantum turbo 2 battery system. Have built an adapter from the AC by Pentax. Works great no matter the temps, since it has 2 ports I have the proper cable to use with my flash. Quantum systems are dead set reliable, have great and long outputs and I can hang it off my tripod as a counter weight. I find this is very useful in low light and pin hole photography where you eat batteries. The Tech Guy named Herb at Quantum is great in helping you get the right adapters to build on for your camera.