Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2020, 12:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Luxury Problems...

Well, since my successful DIY repair of my K30 I have been on the lookout here locally for broken cameras with a white solenoid. Sort of retirement hobby....
Last week a dead Km was offered for €15 at 13 km, so I jumped my bike. The older guy (well, he was actually my age) told me the camera took 2-3 pictures before showing (fresh-) batteries as empty. As a former K200 owner I knew these cameras are picky with batteries, so this already made me 'suspicious'.
And as predicted, at home I put in freshly charged Eneloops, changed the batterie settings from automatic to NiMh and voila, no issues at all!
So I mailed him offering to take it back, which he politely declined.
Now what? It goes against my nature scavenging on a working camera.....OK, it's old, only 10m and 5 cross sensors, shouldn't take any pictures over ISO 800 (some say 640) and no top screen like the K200 has. But it's even more compact than my K30 and shutter count around 7000
But, will it sell for more than two white solenoids? Or should I consider the (European) Pentax community in need? Decisions......
I will take opinions!

Cheers Gerard

05-02-2020, 12:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That was really nice of you to offer for the owner to get their camera back.

I would convert the Km into an infrared dedicated DSLR.
Pentax DSLR Infrared Conversion Service - Kolari Vision

Not cheap but back in the film day I used to get some really beautiful and ethereal infrared images. The hardest part is deciding on which filter.
05-02-2020, 12:50 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My personal rule is that if it's worth less than £100 and I don't need it any more, I donate it to Oxfam to sell (other charity shops are available). Actually, sometimes it's over £100 just to avoid the hassle of dealing with ebay buyers.
05-02-2020, 02:51 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Keep the camera until you give it as as present to a kid from a poor background but well minded, it can have a long term impact.

05-02-2020, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Riding a bike ! Quoting prices in Euros ! Named "Gérard" ! You must be French, aren't you ? If you don't want to use this Km out of guilt, donate it to a School Photography Club so youngsters can develop a taste for the Graphic Arts.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 05-04-2020 at 07:09 PM.
05-02-2020, 03:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

There is nothing wrong with a 10mp camera, ok, the iso is a little limited on that sensor, but as a second (or 3rd) body why not,I still have and use my K10D and *istD even though I have upgraded through K7 , K5 to K1 MK2

A working camera is more even if just to play with. My K10 and *istD have been set up with split image finders for manual focus lenses.

Why not keep it
05-02-2020, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I would convert the Km into an infrared dedicated DSLR.
Pentax DSLR Infrared Conversion Service - Kolari Vision
That's what I did to my K-7 after I purchased my K-5 II to go with my original K-5. Kolari did the conversion and I am quite happy with it. Since it would be used mostly outdoors during the day, the low ISO limitation should not be a problem.
05-02-2020, 07:20 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

should you choose to donate it to a member in need, you could advertise that opportunity in the market place, or a beginner, charity shop or school

good for you

I think you did well to offer it back to the buyer

05-02-2020, 07:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Keep the camera until you give it as as present to a kid from a poor background but well minded, it can have a long term impact.
Good idea (or nieces/nephews). But, make sure they have some way to have good batteries. Otherwise, it will become disused when the battery dies. (I gave a little Canon to a niece, and that's what happened. I didn't have a spare charger and her parents, despite being highly educated, are rather clueless about such stuff.)
05-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Could you contact a local school and find out if there is a deserving student who would benefit from it?
05-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for all your input!
@ Alex645; though retired I am not really looking for yet another (expensive!) hobby, which IR photography sounds like
@ Richard L I suppose your were also put on the wrong track by my 'voila' but I am a misplaced Dutch bicycle rider living in Vienna........
Donating would be good, I agree, though I am somewhat doubtful about current interest in photography in the youth, and I am not in much contact with that age-group here in Vienna. And as I am in the German speaking part of the world, I wonder if putting it on the marketplace of PF will work (apart from me having no acces yet....)
As an aside, I really like the form factor of the camera, small but with a good grip, also with my large hands. Take a look at the attached pic, why don't they make them like that anymore?
(left to right Km, K200, K30). I agree that the pic is balanced against the K30 as the the flash hangs over, but still. And sure, the lcd screens have increased in size, which increases the size as well..
So perhaps I will let the K200 go .....

Thanks again everybody! Cheers Gerard
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
05-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Well, I would hesitate to let the K200D go- its got WR construction and a CCD sensor. A good camera, and I don't think it is prone to the aperture block problem. As to the very small K-m, I am surprised it is that small. I would get a small all-around lens, like a DA 21mm Limited, or for the smallest zoom lens ever- the DA 18-50mm (oops I don't know if the K-m can handle lenses with DC motors?), and you'd have a pocketable DSLR! Not shirt-pocket size, but it could easily go into a generous-size jacket pocket. Can't do that with many DSLR cameras! I do that now with my very fine K-S2, but the K-m looks to be even smaller.
05-02-2020, 12:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha Ha ! You're funny ! You know, I must own at least 5 digital camera bodies and each imprints its own personality on the resulting pictures. You brought the Km back to life because of your knowledge and experience, it would probably have ended on the trash heap otherwise. So give it a try and have fun with it. I'm retired too and it's true that sometimes my faith in young people gets tested, they don't have the same cultural references we older people have and don't appreciate what they have so much.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 05-04-2020 at 07:10 PM.