Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2020, 07:56 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
With the above in mind, I am considering getting into Fujifilm. The XE2 looks nice, but its abilities at high ISO is unknown to me. I like low light photography. My Pentax Kx is surprisingly capable, but the Samsung NX1 is in a different league. It should be since it is a later generation, but the BSI sensor secret sauce recipe makes for tasty results.
If you are interested in just one Fuji model, I would plump for the X-T1 over the X-E2(s). It is barely any larger, not much more expensive and has a far superior viewfinder, especially if you are interested in MF lenses. The only downside is the lack of built in flash.

05-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Focus peaking with an EVF makes it easy to keep using my collection of classic glass. With the economic realities of today that is unlikely to happen soon. In the meantime, if a Pentax K5 II or K3 turns up at a low, low price I would be tempted. So many choices, but there is no real urgency. Not with two Pentax bodies and two Samsung bodies.
Battery life wise I suspect a K-3 or KP would still get better battery life using LV than a mirrorless with EVF. Wear a hat for shade and Bob's your uncle, You have EVF but larger.
05-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Here's the thing - I got into the NX system because of a rock bottom price deal on an NX1 with 16-50/2-2.8 and 50-150/2.8 lenses. The body has an issue with the mechanical shutter that can not be fixed because Samsung does not supply spares anymore, but I can live with that. I am now holding out for a similar deal on another Samsung body, hehehe. Unfortunately, most NX1 and NX500 sellers are living in cloud cuckoo land and unaware of what happens to a broken Samsung camera or lens. How or where do you even begin to negotiate when the asking price is five to ten times what you are willing or able to pay?
Likewise ... my NX5 cost under 50 at a local auction c/w 18-55mm, two batteries, a 2Mb card and a Lowepro carrying case. The only problem with the camera is that the USB port doesn't work., I found out subsequently, but I never use it as I always remove my SD cards and fit them directly into the computer. Anyhow, I was looking for an economical digital platform for my pre-existing set of Russian rangefinder lenses and this is exactly what it does. An NX30 would be nice, with focus peaking, but as with the NX1, prices are still "optimistic".

Good luck ... all things come to those who wait
05-04-2020, 05:51 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks to the OP for the comparison.

I'm curious about the Fuji system. I'd like to know if I can work with an EVF, or if it gives me headaches or motion sickness problems. And I want to see for myself what a camera with more advanced tracking autofocus is really like, and if it might help my photography. So I've thought a lot about renting a Fuji with a couple or three lenses. The new, just released X-T4 looks like it's aimed a bit more at video, but apparently has Fuji's best autofocus. So when we finally get back to post-COVID life with kids soccer games I might rent an X-T4 with a 16-55mm f/2.8 and a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6. Or an X-T3 with the 27mm pancake and the 50-230mm f/4.5-6.7, which is dramatically cheaper but only goes to 230mm and is f/6.7 on the long end. Fuji doesn't appear to have a direct equivalent of the 55-300 PLM.

05-04-2020, 06:56 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Thanks to the OP for the comparison.

I'm curious about the Fuji system. I'd like to know if I can work with an EVF, or if it gives me headaches or motion sickness problems. And I want to see for myself what a camera with more advanced tracking autofocus is really like, and if it might help my photography. So I've thought a lot about renting a Fuji with a couple or three lenses. The new, just released X-T4 looks like it's aimed a bit more at video, but apparently has Fuji's best autofocus. So when we finally get back to post-COVID life with kids soccer games I might rent an X-T4 with a 16-55mm f/2.8 and a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6. Or an X-T3 with the 27mm pancake and the 50-230mm f/4.5-6.7, which is dramatically cheaper but only goes to 230mm and is f/6.7 on the long end. Fuji doesn't appear to have a direct equivalent of the 55-300 PLM.
I would save the money and go with the XT3 and 230mm. The difference in aperture is only half a stop. It is still quite long (345mm equivalent). If you move up and down the sideline, keeping up with the action, you will be OK. With a modern body like the XT3, you can also crop quite a bit in post.

I have done field hockey with a Pentax 400mm on crop frame in recent times and it was a bit too powerful. I could stand behind one goal post and get the action at the other goal post. This is useful to have, but most of the time my Sigma 70-300mm was just fine.

If you feel you need the extra reach of the 100-400mm, save a bit of money by leaving the second Fujifilm lens in the rental shop. In my experience one tends to miss out on action while changing lenses. Just take your Pentax with a suitable short lens. You will look and feel like a pro with two bodies.
05-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Battery life wise I suspect a K-3 or KP would still get better battery life using LV than a mirrorless with EVF. Wear a hat for shade and Bob's your uncle, You have EVF but larger.
I have to disagree. Not on the battery life as I can't say I've done comparison, but on characterizing lv as a sub for an evf. I own a k3 and several mirrorless cameras. The way you hold and shoot a camera during live view is very different from using a viewfinder. Even with good shading the awkwardness is there.
05-04-2020, 08:18 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fuji doesn't appear to have a direct equivalent of the 55-300 PLM.
A 70-300 is under development right now,Fuji hasnt indicated when it'll be released at this stage though.

---------- Post added 05-05-20 at 02:23 AM ----------

soccer games
Ive done soccer with my X-T3,it did a great job.I used the 50-230 which is an excellent lens in good light.The XC(plastic mount,el cheapo)range is great and Fuji are starting to do their F2 primes in XC.

---------- Post added 05-05-20 at 02:31 AM ----------

The new, just released X-T4 looks like it's aimed a bit more at video,
Well it is a true hybrid,equally comfortable with still and moving pictures.Essentially its an X-T3 plus IBIS,bigger battery,fully atriculating screen and new quiet shutter assembly thats rated to 300k accutations.