Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2020, 08:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a BluRay disc the other day for 5.99 and the cashier asked if I wanted extended warranty. I laughed. She said she had to ask.

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I once purchased a DVD that happened to be on sale at Sears for $199. When I got to the counter the clerk wanted me to purchase a 2 year extended warranty for $170 !

05-31-2020, 07:11 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I tend to stay away from extended warranties, but like all things, value is largely based on the cost. When I was able to score a two year extended Pentax warranty for my wife's K-S2/18-135 package for $8, it seemed like a prudent purchase.

I also think that the Square Deal warranty offered on eBay purchases can be a good idea at times, though I'm not sure if it's an extended warranty per se. One of risks of buying used goods is lack of manufacturer's warranty. The opportunity for getting the equivalent of "new" coverage for an added ~10% has lead me to buy/bid when I would have passed otherwise.
06-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Extended warranties in the long run don't pay off. Since as camera owners we typically buy lots of electronics, it doesn't pay off, or else they would not be offered.

The only exception is when the lack of a warranty would be catastrophically impossible to recover from, like a house burning down. That's why it makes sense to buy insurance for something like that.
06-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

We purchased an extended warranty on a washing machine. It broke 10 days after the extended warranty expired.

06-06-2020, 07:32 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
We purchased an extended warranty on a washing machine. It broke 10 days after the extended warranty expired.
Ah man, that's infuriating. You need our Consumer Guarantee Act.