Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Value of extended warranty

I have recently purchased a K-70. Given the discussion around aperture failures on other Pentax models, is the extended warranty from B&H worthwhile? Has anyone had experience in using such a warranty on the K-70 and what were the results?

05-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a no brainer for $44. I have used the extended warranty twice, once for the aperture failure on my K-30. I had the battery door holder (battery hook) break on my K-50 and sent it in, they also replaced the aperture block (which had not failed) while they had it. Any repair would cost more than the $44. That's two more years warranty for anything that may happen, except for accidents and abuse.
05-09-2020, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I generally do not purchase extended warranties on anything. Over time one will end up spending way more on purchasing warranties than one would spend on repairing or replacing things. The odds of ever using an extended warranty are highly stacked against the purchaser. I worked in the consumer retail business for many years, and was constantly pressured to sell extended warranties on everything every customer purchased. It's a huge money maker for the seller and the warranty company. Most of the time if a product is going to fail, it will do so within the manufacture's warranty period. Nowadays, I just purchase most things using my Visa credit card which has the added benefit of doubling the manufacture's warranty period, and doesn't cost anything extra by paying the full balance every month.

Last edited by DWS1; 05-09-2020 at 08:22 AM.
05-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Normally I would not, but given the history on these cameras, it would make it seem worthwhile, as the repair costs $200. What you need to consider also, is the cost of private insurance of your gear, and or, what your credit card insurer would provide.

When my daughters K50 had the aperture block fail, I phoned Pentax Canada, and they had the nerve to deny there was any issue, but they also said if i was unhappy, that I could claim it on my credit card insurer. In the end, I swapped it for my unused K7 (I had upgraded to K5 then K1) and I used it for legacy lenses

05-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I avoid any extended warranty like the plague. If you need to have that camera and cannot afford it if it goes wrong, then get the cover. Otherwise leave it alone. Insurance is about one thing alone...risk. If someone is charging "X" for that risk, chances are high it is too much.
05-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It's always a gamble but at $44 go for it. I judge by price vs benefit . Right now my SD Q is being sent in to sigma cause it throwing an error code, repair estimate $250+, warranty $49.00. Works for me.
05-10-2020, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

How long extra warranty do you get for $44? If extra length of time is significant, then you have to look at cost-per-year. The aperture failure seems to be lower so far in the K-70, but it does still happen.

Is this warranty from Ricoh/Pentax, or through B&H? Some warranties also cover accidental damage, even with replacement.

Some credit cards will extend a warranty by another year free of charge.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-10-2020 at 02:16 PM.
05-10-2020, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a reason that companies offer extended warranties - because they make more money from selling them than they spend on replacing or repairing items. They're mostly a marketing tool.
05-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Extended warranty is like any insurance. If you have it and something breaks, you're glad you have it. If you have it and nothing breaks within the extended warranty than you feel ripped off.

I've had extended warranty on a number of things. Sometimes I win, sometimes the company providing the extended warranty wins.

Whether to get it or not, is all about rationalization. Most people can rationalize themselves out of...or into...anything.

When deciding whether or not to get extended warranty I think of this scene from a Clint Eastwood film.

To paraphrase Inspector Callahan from the Dirty Harry movies....' do you feel lucky....well do you...punk...?

Last edited by lesmore49; 05-10-2020 at 02:31 PM.
05-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
How long extra warranty do you get for $44? If extra length of time is significant, then you have to look at cost-per-year. The aperture failure seems to be lower so far in the K-70, but it does still happen.

Is this warranty from Ricoh/Pentax, or through B&H? Some warranties also cover accidental damage, even with replacement.

The warranty is from Pentax and only covers manufacturer defects. Very good point on the credit card warranty doubling. Another option is to use the B&H Payboo credit card if you live in a qualifying state, which will save you the sales tax. You could then use those savings to buy the warranty which would extend the warranty another year over other credit cards.
05-10-2020, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote

Warranty is through Pentax but is shown and purchased on the B&H website. I went ahead and purchased the Pentax coverage, this should give me a total of 3 years coverage in the event the aperture issue crops up. $44 seems like a bargain for a potential $200 repair. The other option was $89 from square trade but that is a comprehensive warranty for drops and spills, but I’m very careful and I passed on that.

---------- Post added 05-10-20 at 05:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by snakebite Quote
The warranty is from Pentax and only covers manufacturer defects. Very good point on the credit card warranty doubling. Another option is to use the B&H Payboo credit card if you live in a qualifying state, which will save you the sales tax. You could then use those savings to buy the warranty which would extend the warranty another year over other credit cards.
Yes, the Payboo card is nice. Anytime I can avoid paying NY sales tax is a plus.....

---------- Post added 05-10-20 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I generally do not purchase extended warranties on anything. Over time one will end up spending way more on purchasing warranties than one would spend on repairing or replacing things. The odds of ever using an extended warranty are highly stacked against the purchaser. I worked in the consumer retail business for many years, and was constantly pressured to sell extended warranties on everything every customer purchased. It's a huge money maker for the seller and the warranty company. Most of the time if a product is going to fail, it will do so within the manufacture's warranty period. Nowadays, I just purchase most things using my Visa credit card which has the added benefit of doubling the manufacture's warranty period, and doesn't cost anything extra by paying the full balance every month.
I agree with you in general. But after reading about the aperture issue on the other Pentax cameras, I came to the conclusion that if it happens on my K70, it should occur within the first three years.

---------- Post added 05-10-20 at 05:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
There's a reason that companies offer extended warranties - because they make more money from selling them than they spend on replacing or repairing items. They're mostly a marketing tool.
And if they fix enough of them under an extended warranty, they might get the painful message that there is a systemic quality issue with that Chinese made aperture unit.
05-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Itbejames Quote
I have recently purchased a K-70. Given the discussion around aperture failures on other Pentax models, is the extended warranty from B&H worthwhile? Has anyone had experience in using such a warranty on the K-70 and what were the results?
Just a quick update.... Finally got my Pentax extended warranty from B&H. Could you have taken any longer in getting that to me? According to the extended warranty paper work, which lengthens the existing 1 year warranty to 3 years, the EXTENDED warranty MUST be purchased within TWO MONTHS of the original camera purchase. The price, a whopping $43.95. However, if this K-70 ends up with the dreaded aperture solenoid failure like previous models, I'm ahead of the game. So if you have second thoughts and don't feel particularly lucky, you have two months after purchase to add and register the Pentax extended warranty.
05-29-2020, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

check your warranty

if it is like the one I got for my KP you get a free " check up " as well
05-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

In the UK, if you purchase Pentax kit from a "Pentax Pro" dealer then you get 2 yrs warrantee - but I don't think there's any option to buy any form of further extension, and I've not seen anything different for other countries in the EU! Unless, of course, I've "missed something"?
05-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
It's always a gamble but at $44 go for it. I judge by price vs benefit . Right now my SD Q is being sent in to sigma cause it throwing an error code, repair estimate $250+, warranty $49.00. Works for me.
Extended Warranties just leave a bad taste in my mouth. The other day I was looking at a lens on eBay that cost about $300. Tack on to that $28 shipping since the lens is coming from Taiwan. Tack on to that $35 Taxes. Tack on to that a (optional) 2 year-extended warranty costing $82 from Square Trade ! Now what can go wrong with a lens unless you drop it or abuse it ? I agree a 2-year extended warranty on some items that are known to be problematic might help you sleep a lot better at night, but in most cases the manufacturers warranty should cover any issues within the first year.

I once purchased a DVD that happened to be on sale at Sears for $199. When I got to the counter the clerk wanted me to purchase a 2 year extended warranty for $170 !