Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2008, 05:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sensor/camera cleaning, again!!

Thought I'd share a link here to a site for those of us paranoid about dust bunnies. The site, although in business to sell cleaning products has quite a lot of tutorials and good info on sensor and camera cleaning that could prove useful. It's a UK Company. Camera cleaning

The following, taken from the site, is a great piece of advice: When to clean the sensor

The question we get asked the most, is ‘How often should I clean my sensor?’

This is a an impossible question to answer as it depends on where the camera has been used, how many times the lens is changed, how clean the camera and lens are kept and so on. Mostly though it depends on each users tolerance for dust spots on their images. Since dust spots usually have to be retouched on the computer, a good measure to use is how much time you are spending retouching these spots. Clearly one or two spots on an image are easy to cope with, but when you have to remove twenty or more, it maybe time to consider a sensor clean!

It's also worth pointing out that it is easy to become a little bit obsessed with cleaning, wanting to clean the sensor every time a new spot appears. Try to resist this and only clean when the number of dust spots has reached your personal tolerance limit. It’s a fact of life that dust is all around and if you clean today, there will be a fresh dust mark back in a few days. So, manage the dust issue rather than striving to maintain a 100% clean sensor at all times.

Last edited by gowerray; 10-31-2008 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Adding information
10-31-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
GSk
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor cleaning is really easy. Just buy a visible dust brush kit. It is expensive, but lasts for years. Easy to use with no risk.
10-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i got this DealExtreme: $3.51 YN Air Blower Cleaner for Camera Equipments $4 hehe works well from what i can tell ... free worldwide shipping too
10-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an artic butterfly, stratic brush, and a big blower bulb. I use them when I notice too many spots (probably not enough by some standards) and use the blower periodically with just inspection of the sensor to make sure nothign big and hairy is on the sensor

10-31-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I only use a giottos rocket blower... never needed to use any contact cleaning.
I clean whenever dust alert shows me dust.

simple!
11-02-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Inactive Account

i wet clean mine every 6 months or so... i have a homemade "wand" and just use eclipse fluid, a few drops onto a kimwipe wrapped around the wand, swipe the sensor and be on with it
11-02-2008, 07:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm still using Dust-off. Cringe all you like, but it seems to work.
The other thing that seems to work is to leave the camera on dust removal on start-up. I haven't had to blow off my K20 sensor since back in the spring.

11-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I clean the sensor when I see dust on it. (on the pictures I mean)