Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2020, 05:13 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With that lens stable I would consider waiting for the K-new as @mikesbike says; it should be a straight upgrade from the K-3ii in all respects. Since you have the 150-450 and 55-300 I suppose that wildlife is important to you? If that's the case the K-1 might not give you too much joy as it has a lower frame rate and you will also sacrifice reach.

05-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For still life photography or landscapes K-1 is the right camera, thanks to its IQ. For wildlife and action shooting K-3 gives more sense (higher fps, longer reach).

Most probably you need both :-).
05-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
. . . you need both :-).
better safe than sorry right
05-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Same bird and about the same distance away with the 150-450mm. One photo was taken with the K3 and the other with the K-1II, and then cropped to the same dimensions.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
05-11-2020, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #20
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Same bird and about the same distance away with the 150-450mm. One photo was taken with the K3 and the other with the K-1II, and then cropped to the same dimensions.
Hi

For myself I prefer the second photo between the two.
I have not had a peek at the exif ,

Dave
05-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #21

Original Poster
Second photo is a bit sharper - K1ii. Very nice.

Thank you all for youe thoughts on the thread.
05-11-2020, 07:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
In the top photo, which I'm assuming from the above designation, is from the K-3 (?), the bird's positioning is not so favorable, and the DOF is very shallow, while focusing has only its feet and the branch it is on as relatively sharp, while all else is defocused to various degrees.

In the bottom photo, designated from the K-1 II, the bird is in much better position, and the DOF is much greater, with much more of the bird and its immediate surroundings being relatively sharp.

This difference in DOF is the reverse that one would expect between the two photos if their presumed identity is correct. If I had no presumption, no knowledge of the particulars of processing, etc. and I were guessing which is which camera by just looking, because of the DOF difference, my guess would be the top photo being from the K-1 II and the bottom photo from the K-3.

05-12-2020, 01:53 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
In the top photo, which I'm assuming from the above designation, is from the K-3 (?), the bird's positioning is not so favorable, and the DOF is very shallow, while focusing has only its feet and the branch it is on as relatively sharp, while all else is defocused to various degrees.

In the bottom photo, designated from the K-1 II, the bird is in much better position, and the DOF is much greater, with much more of the bird and its immediate surroundings being relatively sharp.

This difference in DOF is the reverse that one would expect between the two photos if their presumed identity is correct. If I had no presumption, no knowledge of the particulars of processing, etc. and I were guessing which is which camera by just looking, because of the DOF difference, my guess would be the top photo being from the K-1 II and the bottom photo from the K-3.
Nope, the EXIF says that the top photo is the K-3. The K-1 image, however, is taken at f/6.3 which affords a bit more DOF while, crucially, not being wide open.The DOF thing is a can of worms*, because it depends on how you're looking at it: for the same focal length and subject distance, the crop camera will have less DOF because the image is more magnified. If the framing were to be made the same framing by using a TC on the K-1, it would have been a different story because the FL would come into play.

*My head started hurting again while thinking about it
05-12-2020, 02:28 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Clearly, the birds put in extra effort when posing for the K1. This has been noted through the years in photography.... every model focuses more when the big camera comes out. This supports my position of K1 for the 150-450......
05-12-2020, 03:06 AM   #25
Pentaxian

ISO 640 vs ISO 320, plus the fact that K-1II is handling noise better than the old K-3.