Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fila Quote
- hitting -10 or +10 is the biggest issue for me
I don't understand what Pentax was thinking by limited bodies to +/-10. I've hit that with three of my lenses, including Pentax-brand lenses.

---------- Post added 02-02-2022 at 04:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Call Sigma and complain.
Maybe enough people did this that Sigma responded by no longer manufacturing lenses for Pentax. I'm not sure you'll get much traction complaining to a company that no longer builds new lenses for Pentax, and specifically about a model that hasn't been manufactured in so long that its (generous) warranty period has expired. I don't have the specific Sigma lens but wasn't that the model with issues related to firmware no longer being available?

02-03-2022, 05:08 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't understand what Pentax was thinking by limited bodies to +/-10. I've hit that with three of my lenses, including Pentax-brand lenses.
It's difficult for a manufacturer to anticipate every testing method a consumer might employ in the future, unless you're saying that you have three Pentax lenses of which the camera cannot be adjusted enough to focus well.
02-03-2022, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
It's difficult for a manufacturer to anticipate every testing method a consumer might employ in the future, unless you're saying that you have three Pentax lenses of which the camera cannot be adjusted enough to focus well.
It shouldn't matter what testing method is used as long as it's repeatable. I've had two Pentax lenses and one 3rd party that have encountered or slightly exceeded the +/- 10 limit. One was very close: it ended up at either 10 or 11 (11 requiring debug mode.) One of the Pentax lenses was new and Pentax returned it to close to 0 after servicing under warranty; they did so without me sending a body, so I'm assuming the lens was at fault. So far all of my lenses (these and others that were always in-range) have required the same adjustments on multiple bodies (even bodies from different generations), leading me to conclude that the lenses are the issue. I've never had a lens so far that would have come close to needing +/- 20 so if the range had simply been twice as wide as it is, there wouldn't have been any problems. I know there has to be some limit but my experience is that +/-10 isn't sufficient, and it would seem like it wouldn't be difficult for Pentax to expand. While in theory with some cameras you can extend the range in one direction with debug mode, that won't help if you have different lenses requiring use of both extremes.