Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2008, 07:29 PM   #1

Wierd Problem with my K200D

Hi Guys,

Just recently I have this weird problem with the K20D. Pictures that I take in daylight appears dark or almost impossible to see. Pictures I take indoors come out clearly.

First I thought it was the memory card but I swapped back to the old one and still the same problems. I have reset all the functions to default and same problem. I swapped out the lens and also the same problem.

Any ideas what can cause this? Anything I shoot in bright sun appears so dark and almost black. I am totally lost.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Edit: Model is K20D not K200D.

Last edited by chuna; 10-31-2008 at 08:08 PM.
10-31-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sample photos would help along with settings?
10-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera set to M exposure mode? If so, try the P mode.
10-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
Its set to the Green mode which is the full Auto Mode.

10-31-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Your metering point if you haven't been doing so may need to be chosen. When i started shooting without reading my manual, the metering point actually isn't centered, you have to choose it. That was my cause to some erratic images, you might want to read the manual over if you haven't done so to get a better idea of how Pentax sets up their menu. I made that mistake coming from Canon's intuitive menus and default settings. Once you've done that, you'll start getting amazing images.

Quick fix would be to choose and set your meter to "center/spot"
10-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Your metering point if you haven't been doing so may need to be chosen. When i started shooting without reading my manual, the metering point actually isn't centered, you have to choose it.
But doesnt putting it in Green Full automatic mode adjust all that? BTW I have tried every mode and they all do the same thing.

Edit: Changed that to all the modes, still no effect. Looks like my camera is tanked
10-31-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chuna Quote
But doesnt putting it in Green Full automatic mode adjust all that? BTW I have tried every mode and they all do the same thing.
You may change the modes but your "metering pattern" didn't change, i understand what you mean, i had the same perception but with Pentax it isn't so, you simply have to adjust your meter according to what you're shooting. You may also want to adjust your focusing point too, that too isn't by default centered on what you think you're shooting.

10-31-2008, 08:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
You dont understand, its not about that at all. I mean anything outdoors appears totally black or like a faint picture, anything indoors comes out normally even no flash. The moment I go out ot the sun, the pictures are so dark that I can barely see it but I can still see a faint picture. Come indoor and take any number of pictures and pics come out perfectly.
10-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you happen to go from a cold, air conditioned room out into extreme humidity and heat? In which case condensation may form inside the lens and camera.
10-31-2008, 08:49 PM   #10

Original Poster
Basically the Camera was under room temperature, not overly warm, and not cold either. My wife took the camera out on a sunny day in the Mid 20's C or Mid 70's F and all I did was change out the SD card to a bigger one. She told me it not taking pictures in daylight.

So when I came back form Overseas, I tried pretty much everything and the daylight pics turned to darkness and I even changed back to the old SD card just in case and changed out the lens etc, did a dust removal clean etc. And still its the same.

Basically nothing was done unless some buttons were pressed accidentally. Thats th eonly thing I can think of. The previous week we went to a coastal town and took some awesoem outdoor pics. And now all of a sudden I cant take any outdoor pics. Its really wierd.
10-31-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Did you try pushing the green button, to reset all the settings back to factory default, if somehow the settings got changed?

Yes, it is weird and from reading the forums i don't think anyone else has reported this issue.

You might just need to take in back for replacement from Pentax, not sure if they would repair or replace it.
10-31-2008, 10:03 PM   #12

Original Poster
Which Green button? If there is a factory default pushing Green button, I dont know about such a function. Please feel free to tell me and I will give that a go. I have tried the resets in the main menu in software but if there is a hardware button , please let me know.
10-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The one right next to your shutter release, if that doesn't work to correct the issue i'm out of ideas ...sorry. maybe someone else will chime in with a similar issue or a more likely solution.

I'm using a K200D right now, won't get my K20D till December.

Your online manual if you didn't read it as yet.

http://www.pentaxslr.com/files/scms_docs//K20D_Manual.pdf
11-01-2008, 01:11 AM   #14

Original Poster
Here are the same shots when I click it in succession. I may get 3 good ones and one bad one or 2 bad ones and one good ones with continuous shooting.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chuna Quote
Here are the same shots when I click it in succession. I may get 3 good ones and one bad one or 2 bad ones and one good ones with continuous shooting.
Those shots look like Drive Mode Auto Bracketing is turned on. Check the setting with the Fn button and make sure it is in Single Shot mode.