Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2020, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone shoot video with their Pentax?

I generally don't but I've had a little play with it and there are a few occasions when I might want to use it for video so was after some hints and tips for getting the best from the camera. Mine is a K5 so I think I'm right in saying it's 1080 capable. For definite I need to buy an external mic or a muffler, and use a tripod, mini or otherwise. The manual covers the basics of exposure, compensation and shake reduction I don't think there's much more to it than that, manual focus and zoom, I generally use my FA 28-70 as I'm not sure if the quality would be much improved with a better lens but I haven't really experimented.

On the software side I've just use some freebie stuff, the old windows movie maker was about my level but I haven't settled on anything permanent yet and I certainly don't want some of the more professional bits of software, I'm just not prepared to invest the time.

Here's a very tongue in cheek effort and the kind of level I'm looking at for making a video: Note to self, must try to look more dynamic........ and please ignore the flapping camera bag!

Hints and tips most welcome.

05-16-2020, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #2

I've dabbled in video for a while. First with my k30, then K3. Then I moved on to a Canon 6d. I've also played around with a Go Pro Hero 7. However, now I find I get get the best results with a Panasonic camcorder. I use it for my home videos as well as making teaching videos for work. In contrast to the current thinking I find the quality I get from a camcorder (as an amateur) better than from a DSLR.

For editing I really like Open Shot, its open source and really easy to use.
05-16-2020, 05:43 AM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
I've dabbled in video for a while. First with my k30, then K3. Then I moved on to a Canon 6d. I've also played around with a Go Pro Hero 7. However, now I find I get get the best results with a Panasonic camcorder. I use it for my home videos as well as making teaching videos for work. In contrast to the current thinking I find the quality I get from a camcorder (as an amateur) better than from a DSLR.

For editing I really like Open Shot, its open source and really easy to use.
Openshot looks good, I don't think I'd come across that before so I'll give that a try.

I think you're right a dedicated camcorder would be better but this is strictly casual using what I have because there's so much more to videography than I'm willing to learn, I am at heart a stils photographer.
05-16-2020, 06:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I recently bought a Lumix GH-4 to use for video, but prior to that I used to shoot video with my K-01 quite a bit. I probably should have bought an external microphone for it, but I didn't. Primarily, I was using the K-01 to shoot short nature pieces that were used on a weekly travel show for which I'm one of the shooters/editors. We had dedicated video cameras for the bulk of what we shot for the show, but I had no qualms about going out with my K-01 on the weekends and shooting things to be used alongside video from our main cameras. The primary reason I picked up the GH-4 is because we switched to GH-5s cameras about a year ago and I wanted something that could use all the same lenses and accessories as my work camera.

05-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I recently bought a Lumix GH-4 to use for video, but prior to that I used to shoot video with my K-01 quite a bit. I probably should have bought an external microphone for it, but I didn't. Primarily, I was using the K-01 to shoot short nature pieces that were used on a weekly travel show for which I'm one of the shooters/editors. We had dedicated video cameras for the bulk of what we shot for the show, but I had no qualms about going out with my K-01 on the weekends and shooting things to be used alongside video from our main cameras. The primary reason I picked up the GH-4 is because we switched to GH-5s cameras about a year ago and I wanted something that could use all the same lenses and accessories as my work camera.
With focusing, what's your preferred technique? Manually adjusting the focus from one object to another looks like a carefully acquired skill so I generally rely on shooting a scene which doesn't require that and using an f stop that gives me some room.

The K5 does seem to keep a focus with a half press and a pan but not consistently, it snaps away and then refocuses, so I'm not sure if this is me not understanding the af in video or it's just limited. Likewise the manual implies I can alter the focus point with a long press of the OK button and use of the 4 way controller to move the AF point but I can't get it to do this, I've probably missed something being set right in the menus.
05-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only videos I ever made (all appearing on my Youtube account : Youtube/Richard L.) were shot on my Canon G3X superzoom compact. Some are "ordinary" but some are not too bad. I always shoot handheld and to make really good videos, I should have used a tripod at all times but I've been doing them "the lazy man's way". Worst part is the sound, particularly when zooming.

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 05-16-2020 at 02:15 PM.
05-16-2020, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

No, never ever.

Should I ever feel the urge to shoot video, I'll go and buy a camcorder.

05-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't, but I probably should, or get a newer model video camera.
I use an old Samsung video camera, I think the sensors are considerably better in my Pentax K1 or K3.

Only draw back is the limited recording time with the still cameras.
05-16-2020, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
With focusing, what's your preferred technique?
I was using it mostly with manual focus lenses so I was using a Hoodman loupe on the rear screen. My subjects were stationary most of the time...flowers, landscapes, streams, etc...
05-16-2020, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Shot a couple with my Sony RX100 but not my Pentax DSLRs,always seems so.....clunky!
05-16-2020, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have shot a few videos with the K-5, KS-2, and now with my KP. I actually prefer the results I get using my cellphone instead.
05-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #12
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I have shot a few videos with the K-5, KS-2, and now with my KP. I actually prefer the results I get using my cellphone instead.
I did wonder if someone would say that. I have to admit that my mobile does quite a nice job with video and with something like Adobe Rush it's very easy to edit together, I could certainly use it for most circumstances, it does have some foibles though, namely focus, stutter (background apps running) and exposure control but with a decent mobile you could certainly shoot reasonable videos.
05-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #13
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shoot video both with my K-5iis for ibis and the K-1 for better manual settings, depending on what is more important.
05-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I've shot videos of my kids playing soccer, with the K-S1 and my SMC-A 70-210 f4. The cell phone quality might be better these days but it can't do 315mm (35mm equiv.)

For what they were - just videos of my boys playing - they came out alright.

I think the only way you'd want to shoot Pentax if you need something more demanding, is if you don't need 4K, and you can shoot from a tripod. The sensor SR "jelly effect" is kind of terrible...
05-16-2020, 08:00 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do from time to time with K-01 and the DA40/2.8 Limited..For my purposes it comes out just fine.I use either a Hoodman or Velbon loupe.