Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I've shot videos with my KP before simply because it was to hand. Unfortunately the video quality is poor and as stated above, the SR actually makes it worse.

I recently bought a Panasonic G85 and will be using that as my video camera. I bought a K mount adapter as well which has a manual aperture control. This has the pleasant side effect of allowing stepless aperture control which is desirable for video. I've shot some videos with my DA limited lenses on the G85 and they come out quite nicely indeed.

05-17-2020, 12:34 AM   #17
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I've shot videos of my kids playing soccer, with the K-S1 and my SMC-A 70-210 f4. The cell phone quality might be better these days but it can't do 315mm (35mm equiv.)

For what they were - just videos of my boys playing - they came out alright.

I think the only way you'd want to shoot Pentax if you need something more demanding, is if you don't need 4K, and you can shoot from a tripod. The sensor SR "jelly effect" is kind of terrible...
Ah the SR effect is interesting and may account for the terrible panning effect I got recently. I hadn't even given that a thought.

I think I generally agree with most of the sentiment that the Pentax video is limited, however I think I can do a little better with it than I currently manage and as it's a tool I always have with me, that's all I really want to do. Storytelling with video is generally a lot more work than this lazy stills photographer wants to do.
05-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I try to avoid it as much as possible....
05-17-2020, 07:53 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I've tried video on various Pentax cameras. When I was new to video, I guess that I was happy with them.

However, I no longer use Pentax cameras for my video tutorial videos. I've switched to the Fuji XE3 (terrific color and B&W shooting modes) for video these days. Mostly 4k. Once you've tried 4k video, there's no going back to 1080P.

With all of the cameras that I've used, an external microphone and pre-amp are required for high quality sound.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-17-2020 at 08:02 AM.
05-17-2020, 08:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Video? What's that?

I'm not sure if she's still active here at all but @LaurenOE; used to shoot a lot of video with Pentax cameras - however I believe she now uses other systems for video...
05-17-2020, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I’v used K-1 for video. It is quite good. It is still just 1080 p. But if you have proper mic(like røde) you can get nice video, if you are using tripod.

I bought a better video camera now, because I wanted 4K DCI and 422 12 bit.
05-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #22
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I've shot videos of my kids playing soccer, with the K-S1 and my SMC-A 70-210 f4. The cell phone quality might be better these days but it can't do 315mm (35mm equiv.)

For what they were - just videos of my boys playing - they came out alright.

I think the only way you'd want to shoot Pentax if you need something more demanding, is if you don't need 4K, and you can shoot from a tripod. The sensor SR "jelly effect" is kind of terrible...
IDK about the KS-1 but on the K-5 the Sensor SR is excellent. The digital non-moving-sensor SR on the K-1 has that ugly jelly effect. Tripod or gimbal needed.

On those cameras it's no problem to shoot good stuff. I wonder why people say video would be so bad. Sure it isn't 4K 12 bit raw so there is less DR for „fix-it-in-post“. But if you expose properly I think it's fine. I shoot in a flat profile and post process in FCP.

Last edited by sbh; 05-17-2020 at 11:27 AM.
05-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #23
Closed Account

Original Poster
I'm struggling with software at the moment after picking this back up. I can't get Openshot to work properly on my PC, it just hangs continuously when editing, which is a shame because the interface is perfect for me. I've tried VDSC but I can't get on with it's interface. I've looked up a few others but haven't yet tried one after reaching that saturated stage of researching stuff.
05-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
IDK about the KS-1 but on the K-5 the Sensor SR is excellent. The digital non-moving-sensor SR on the K-1 has that ugly jelly effect. Tripod or gimbal needed.

On those cameras it's no problem to shoot good stuff. I wonder why people say video would be so bad. Sure it isn't 4K 12 bit raw so there is less DR for „fix-it-in-post“. But if you expose properly I think it's fine. I shoot in a flat profile and post process in FCP.
I shot alright videos back when I had my K-r (similar to K-5 but only 720p) - as you say the sensor-based SR is pretty good. I thought about getting a K-5 to do some videos but in those cameras there's the file format issue, where the format used makes the files fairly large and I think it's not as easy to process? I might need to give it another look...
05-18-2020, 02:02 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote

I’m shooting now also braw. Shoot it flat, then PP to have nice image. But, if one has good settings for K-1 and it is sitting on tripod(I’v even shot handheld(noSR)) you can still adjust it in post and get quite nice result. Ofcourse not what better camera can give, but it is not as horrible as lot of people claim. Needs just little a bit more work. For me also that 20-25 minute restriction was no go.
05-18-2020, 05:01 AM   #26
Closed Account

Original Poster
Well I've managed to get Openshot working, which is good as the interface is to my liking. It has some foibles, particularly around MP3 files and applying affects to audio, multiple effect like reducing the overall volume and applying a fade don't seem to work, however I'm sure I can figure out workarounds for that. My initial problems centred around an MP3 file with an embedded jpg (thank you Amazon mp3), that stalled Openshot until I figured that removing the audio file from the jpg made it work again, so I have an editing platform to finally replace windows moviemaker...

I shall try out SR and non SR and then think of a wee story to shoot and give it all a try again. Still can't fathom why I can't move the focus point as per in the manual though, I'll explore the menu options to see what I've missed on the K5.
05-18-2020, 06:26 AM   #27
Closed Account

Original Poster
Managed to move the AF point now, I simply hadn't noticed I was on AF-c, slipped it to AF-s and it works.
05-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #28
Closed Account

Original Poster
And a test of the SR

I'm not quite sure if the slight wobble in the 'still' shot with SR is the jelly effect mentioned above but for certain the SR works on the K5 and does a reasonable job. Forgot to do the same pan with my phone which I'd put down next to me to use.
05-19-2020, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Video? What's that?

I'm not sure if she's still active here at all but @LaurenOE; used to shoot a lot of video with Pentax cameras - however I believe she now uses other systems for video...
I'm still here. Its been a long time since I used a Pentax camera body for video, but I still use Pentax DA lenses and other Pentax glass with Novoflex adapters on Sony cameras. The absolute minimum video standard these days is 1080p/60 with 50mbps...which does not exist in any current Pentax body.

However, I still shoot stills with Pentax bodies, and my 645z goes everywhere with me.

If by some miracle the next APS-C Pentax body does good video, I will in a heartbeat, bring Pentax back into my professional workflow.

Heck, these days, I am comfortable just having Pentax as my "feel-good" camera without worry about whether or not it fits into my professional workflow.

With so many video projects that I do...I still need the comfort of a Pentax regardless.