Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2020, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What to do with an ist DL find?

Found an ist DL on Ebay listed as non-working for parts only. The seller described it as auto focus not working, and would not recognize a sd card, showing a photo displaying memory card error. Seller wanted $20, I offered $12, which the seller accepted. I bought it for parts insurance in case the my K70 or K50 aperture fails. I got it the other day, put some AA batteries in it, let it charge the capacitors for a while, cycled it off and on, and it powered right up. I put an older 2gb SD card in and received no errors and could review the photos that were on it. Tried it with the DA 16-45. Auto focus tried to engage, but sounded like it was sticking. I just kept tapping the shutter a few times and it started working. Snapped a couple of photos and reviewed them fine on the display. Tried it with the FA 28-70, DA 18-55 AL II, DA 55-300 (non WR). They all worked fine. It would not auto focus with any lens that has an in-lens focus motor (DC, SDM, or PLM) which I expected. Long story short, the seller didn't know what he was doing. Probably tried it with a large capacity SDHC or newer card, and who knows what lens he was using. Now that I have a nice little kit that is fully functional (with lenses I no longer use), that my kids, grandkids, or someone else might want, I'm rethinking my original intent. It just doesn't sit right to me to tear apart and disable a perfectly good camera for parts even though I have almost nothing in it.

05-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You should keep it and use it. Some people here swear by the CCD colour capture look which can't be replicated using modern CMOS sensors.
05-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You could get it converted to take infrared pictures.
05-17-2020, 02:55 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

If you're at all interested, the old 6Megapixel sensors are quite infra-red sensitive, even without modification, compared to the more modern cameras, so an investment in a "proper" infra-red filter, eg a Wratten or Lee 87, can give excellent results. I use mine with a Cokin holder, so I've got a choice of lenses to work with.

Here's a shot I took recently with my unmodified *istD L2 through a Lee 87 filter.

This extra deep-red sensitivity may well be the reason for the perceived "warmth" in a lot of pictures generated by these older cameras. Personally, (and it is a personal thing), I find images from my *ist's are often perfectly acceptable straight from the camera, whereas some images from my newer cameras may need a little "help". Choice of lens will probably also feature in this equation, so it is a little ethereal
Some work has been done to produce settings for LightRoom to give the "CCD-look" to images taken with a CMOS-sensor camera, so it would seem there is some basis to the concept ... fine if you've got LightRoom

Enjoy!

Last edited by kypfer; 05-17-2020 at 03:00 PM. Reason: afterthought
05-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have fun with it, or keep a lens on it and sit it somewhere that it can be grabbed at a moment's notice. Whatever you want.

The seller probably hadn't used it for years (or just had it given to him) and was probably happy to get the 12 dollars, he can get a couple of beers.
05-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sounds like you got yourself a real bargain. For what it's worth, you can update the firmware so that it will accept larger capacity SDHC cards.
05-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice find

I would take some pictures and have some fun with it! And I think I'd rather pass the K-50 to a family member, than a nice CCD camera....

05-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The smaller files are great for stitching panoramas. Try the brenizer method.
05-18-2020, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did a simple comparison this morning with ist DL and the K70 using the same lens, focal length, aperture, and ISO. I shot in manual and adjusted shutter speed to what each camera read as a proper exposure. I think I can see a difference but not sure. I would be interested in what others think. Both shots are jpegs straight from the camera with no extra editing. The first one is from the ist, and the second from the K70.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
05-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I did a simple comparison this morning with ist DL and the K70 using the same lens, focal length, aperture, and ISO. I shot in manual and adjusted shutter speed to what each camera read as a proper exposure. I think I can see a difference but not sure. I would be interested in what others think. Both shots are jpegs straight from the camera with no extra editing. The first one is from the ist, and the second from the K70.
I prefer the first one.
05-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The reds blew out a bit on the top one and it is more yellow. on my phone I prefer the first. The sunflower pops off the screen a little more. On my computer at 8x10 it it the opposite. However if they were not side by side I wouldn't notice. My guess is kr is first.
05-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats! You just earned your coveted and exclusive membership in the Six Megapixel Club!
The Six-Megapixel Club - PentaxForums.com
05-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There seems to be a wider range of greens and yellows from the ist. This is particularly obvious in the small green leaves.
05-18-2020, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If you're at all interested, the old 6Megapixel sensors are quite infra-red sensitive, even without modification, compared to the more modern cameras, so an investment in a "proper" infra-red filter, eg a Wratten or Lee 87, can give excellent results. I use mine with a Cokin holder, so I've got a choice of lenses to work with.
Now you placed the *istD family on my shopping list! They do turn up from time to time in the local classifieds, but I have always ignored them. All of a sudden I am developing a love for six megapixels. I assume that the ten megapixel K10D and K200D is not quite as IR sensitive. I have one of the latter so perhaps I should just get an IR filter and give it a go until the *istD of my dreams turns up. Either way, my GAS has suddenly found a new avenue to explore.

---------- Post added 2020-05-19 at 00:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Very interesting! The CCD colors are just a little bit more saturated. A bit like Kodachrome versus Ektachrome in the days of old, I guess. For saturated colors in sunshine Kodachrome was the one. For low light work Ektachrome was available in higher ASA (called ISO nowadays) ratings.
05-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about keeping it in the car as an "always there if you need a camera while you're out and about" camera?