Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Dropped K10

My husband dropped my k10 tonite..I mean 'bounced' it on the cement garage floor! Now I have a message on my screen 'memory card error'...

10-31-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I meant to ask....any advice on what is going on or what I should do or is there help for my poor baby?
10-31-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nu2dig Quote
My husband dropped my k10 tonite..I mean 'bounced' it on the cement garage floor! Now I have a message on my screen 'memory card error'...
I guess I would try the basics first. Insert another memory card, reset all the settings. Take the batteries out and let the camera sit overnight. Something could (should) have been knocked out of whack by hitting a concrete floor. But maybe resetting everything may produce a miracle? I hope so for you!
10-31-2008, 10:32 PM   #4

reformatting?

Have you tried reformatting on the camera or on a pc?

11-01-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nu2dig Quote
I meant to ask....any advice on what is going on or what I should do or is there help for my poor baby?
I don't know, how badly did you beat him after he dropped it?
11-01-2008, 04:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I fyou make him feel guilty enough you could score a k20d out of it - are you sure you want it to work again? The lens probably needs replacing too ;-)
11-01-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My sympathies to you. I dropped mine on the concrete driveway. The body cracked a bit up by the popup flash, which now needs to be taped down at all times but otherwise I got lucky and it works just fine. The lens however, was toast.

I have no advice for you other than what has already been said. But I feel your pain. But I only had myself to blame. Guilt the hubby and get a new camera out of it.

11-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You guys are too funny! Actually years ago while shooting at a very rocky river bed, I tripped and I just happened to have my 80-320 lens on and of course it has never been the same...I'm still using it but it has one spot in it that doesn't turn very smoothly. Anyways, I'd like to be optimistic and think that it is something that can be fixed but not sure if the fix will cost more than a new camera. ..and yes, I did try formatting it but since it doesnt' want to read a card, it doesn't have anyting to format. I did try taking the battery out but not overnite and that didn't seem to do anything except the flash started working but making that funny noise so?.....
11-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Maybe another tid bit of info....all my menu settings are still good and it is seemingly focusing. I know there was a guy from Pentax tht responded to another users concerns, I'm hoping that he/she coiuld respond to my dilemma?
11-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #10

Nu2,

In a thread on DPR, I read that the K10D's card reader is attached to both the motherboard (which is attached in turn to the main frame) and to the battery compartment. With severe impact the battery compartment "wins", and shears the card reader off the motherboard.

Methinks you may have a nice new K20 coming.

Rick
11-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Check if your house insurance does cover replacement if it can't be fixed. Some do.
11-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I feel your pain.I droped my K10D on a hard wood floor. I cracked my viefinder severely. The camera still works great so far but it is now at risk of getting more dust and debris ( I have already had to clean the sensor twice!)
11-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RickW Quote
Nu2,

In a thread on DPR, I read that the K10D's card reader is attached to both the motherboard (which is attached in turn to the main frame) and to the battery compartment. With severe impact the battery compartment "wins", and shears the card reader off the motherboard.

Methinks you may have a nice new K20 coming.

Rick
Agreed the OP of the dpreview post did tell the truth IMO and was not a troll downgrading the Pentax K10. The K10 it seems from all these posts of memory card reader errors after dropping, does have a weakness on its main PCB board. If dropped it can lose contact with the SD card reader (a very simple explanation) people are indeed reporting what he claimed. Shame on Pentax but I guess everything can not be perfect.

Bad news the opinion of some is that its beyond economical repair because the main PCB must be replaced and it has the CCD, and the camera would have to be fully calibrated. I could be wrong so don't bank on that, dig around.

See if your home owners insurance will cover it.
11-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #14

if it's still under warranty ,send it back to Pentax for repair. they will fix that kind of error even you dropped.
11-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You let your husband touch your camera?

My wife taught me early on to honor Shakespeare's, "Never a borrower or lender be." When I bought my first telescope she loaned me a K1000 SLR for my first astrophoto. The next day she bought a new one saying, "Since you fumbled around with my camera in the dark, I don't want it back!" That K1000 was my first and only film DSLR.

From then on we very rarely touch each others equipment. Saved a lot of hard feelings over the 16 years (and counting!).

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 11-10-2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Spelling