Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2020, 07:02 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See my review of PKA mounts.

Tamron Adaptall Pentax P-KA auto aperture mount Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

btw I still have pka mounts available from that testing.

05-20-2020, 07:04 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The behaviour of a Tamron Adaptall-2 lens on a Pentax camera can differ depending on which Adaptall-2 mount is fitted.
The Tamron-original PKA mount is the least troublesome, unless yours has that nuisance spot of varnish/sealant on the little screw that falls directly under the camera contact ... easily solved with a quick scrape This will give a lens that will work with the auto-exposure modes, Av, TAv, Tv & P(rogram).
Original Tamron PK or PK/M mounts are usually no problem, but only work in M(anual), or wide-open in Av.
Some aftermarket Adaptall mounts are fully anodised/painted and won't work for "catch-in-focus" unless the coating is removed in the appropriate area.

Enjoy your Tamron lens, they're a good performer
Hi kypfer, not sure if you got my reply as not fully used to the Pentax forum site procedure but I'll reply again as I would like to thank you immensely for your much valued advice. Just one question if you'd be kind enough to reply. I've heard somewhere that the pka adapter doesn't function when the aperture is fully/partially fully open, can you tell me if this is the case please. I send my kindest.......davey
05-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davy5toes Quote
You've done it again Robert, never fail to amaze with some absolute "pearls" of wisdom. You're dead right Robert I've had some absolute cracking responses to this question and very much appreciate them all. The tamron lens I got was purely for "isolating" subjects to create out of focus backgrounds/foregrounds giving a beautiful bokeh (depth of field is unbelievably shallow with this lens even when stopped down quite far). Your "pearls" will be used for a reference as with your other replies you've given me prior to this. Much much appreciation Robert and I send my very kindest your way mate.
Another point to remember is that the closer you're focusing, the less depth of field you'll have. For handheld focusing of flowers, here's a quick little trick I use. Focus the lens in the general area you'd like, and hold the camera in front of you with liveview (I use focus peaking here - but I don't believe the K-5 series can do so, so you may be just as well using the viewfinder, or zooming in in liveview), and move the whole camera back-and-forwards to focus where'd you'd like. If you have a high enough shutter speed you should be able to avoid any blur from your movements - again a little practice is key.

05-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davy5toes Quote
Hi kypfer, not sure if you got my reply as not fully used to the Pentax forum site procedure but I'll reply again as I would like to thank you immensely for your much valued advice. Just one question if you'd be kind enough to reply. I've heard somewhere that the pka adapter doesn't function when the aperture is fully/partially fully open, can you tell me if this is the case please. I send my kindest.......davey
For the PKA adaptor, if the aperture ring is not set to "AE_32", the lens will act just like any manual aperture lens, like a "Pentax-M" lens. With the aperture ring set to "AE_32" (push in the little button to rotate it all the way) the lens will act like a "Pentax-A" lens and the aperture can be controlled from the little wheel on the camera. If you're not using a PKA adaptor, the "AE_32" setting is just a very small f/32 aperture, with it's inherent diffraction problems