Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2020, 08:15 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KP is a great deal of late and has very good low light performance and other features that are an improvement over the K--70 mentioned above. I love my K-1 (Original mark,) but for low light I grab my KP.
refurb on Ricoh's site for less than 550, or used here for a similar number. Good luck whatever you decide.

05-23-2020, 05:17 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The KP is a great deal of late and has very good low light performance and other features that are an improvement over the K--70 mentioned above. I love my K-1 (Original mark,) but for low light I grab my KP.
refurb on Ricoh's site for less than 550, or used here for a similar number. Good luck whatever you decide.
Ergonomics is the only reason I gave up on my KP. Otherwise it was a great camera, but FWIW the low-light performance of the K-70 is just as good in practice, and stabilization is nearly identical at 4.5 and 5 stops. No one would be able to see any difference whatsoever in the photos between the two without looking at EXIF.
05-23-2020, 07:12 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have two K3s, a K5, a K01, and recently a new to me K1, I always thought the apsc cameras fit my hands perfectly, but required a grip for that "perfect" fit in my hands and I usually get a grip as soon as I bought the bodies. However, when I got the K1 I realised I dont need the grip for that comfortable feeling, this camera fits my hands perfectly with out a grip. So....what I am getting at is for me the cameras all are just as weighty and bulky in comparison to full frame or APSC, ya I usually go hiking with the APSC bodies because that is the only time I wont carry the grips with me due to weight and bulk restrictions in my bag, otherwise I will usually have the grips on the bodies. None of my bodies are "better" than the others, they just have their niche in my workflow, however I do prefer to use the K1 the most, but that is minimal. I love using the APSC bodies for their reach because of the crop factor. I prefer the K1 for landscapes, portraits, and recently I prefer it for my macro work. so basically it is you who has to decide just what it is that you need the camera for, luckily for me I have saved money up steadily over the years and I now have plenty of gear and pretty much many options as to what I want to use because of gear availability at hand. but I can say this for sure, to me all the pentax models are equal to each other, neither of them are "better" than the other, they are tools of the trade that serve their individual purposes. hope this helps you out...
for reach purporses go for the APSC
for wide angle go for the full frame
05-23-2020, 08:38 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would go with the K1. It is an awesome camera. When I got my K1 the K5. K5-IIs and K3 went into semi retirement. I no longer own the K5 or K5-IIs. My K3 gets used once or twice a year more out of pity than anything else.

Two years after I got my K1 I got a K-II so now I have one of each. Not sure how much longer I will own the K3, but the new APSc model will determine if I stay with the format. I have a lot of hopes pinned on the K-new as people are calling it. Money even set aside. If I get it the K3 will go to someone else for sure.

The thing with the K1 is that I really like working with the images in post processing. The files are large, but I have a computer that can handle them easily. As to size and weight I am 69 and while I no longer go hiking I do lug them around as my preferred cameras. Mostly my D FA 28-105 and D FA 150-450 lenses live on them.