Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2020, 08:32 AM - 3 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Using AE-L to save optional RAW or digital preview image.

If you you are shooting JPEG-only mode (to save time or space on shots that don't need RAW) but then take a shot where a RAW copy would be useful, hit the AE-L button immediately after the shot. The camera will ask if you want to save a RAW copy and do so it you hit OK.

Likewise if you are using the digital preview function (to check DoF or exposure) and love the result, hitting the AE-L button immediately after the shot can save the preview.

05-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread is a great idea! Thanks to the OP.
05-29-2020, 11:08 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I have never used it, I'll look it up now
I was unable to get this level of sharpness until I remembered to activate it, two nights ago:

06-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Green button - to its full extent.

06-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the K-1ii, if you use the info button to get to the big rear screen level indicator, then press LV, the level indicator stays present over the live view of the scene. Neat eh?.
06-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #51
Pentaxian

I had my K70 for quite a long time before I realised you can use exposure compensation in Manual mode. That plus the magic green button was a big Wow moment for me
06-15-2021, 06:23 AM   #52

I too only recently began using Hyper-program mode, after many years of owning a K-5 thus equipped, though I can’t remember what situation prompted this experimentation.

07-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I realised quite recently that the little symbol of a circle with a line through it denotes where the film/sensor plane lies.

07-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #54

I enjoy using the Hyper Program mode for most of my shooting. I really like how it offers a solid starting point for taking a picture, allowing quick jump into aperture/shutter priority modes with rear/front dials if necessary.

I recently found the camera (K10D) has a custom menu selection that allows to customize the Program mode. It has depth-of-field, speed and MTF priority program lines. In the depth-of-field mode, the camera tries to maximize the depth of field by using larger f-numbers than the standard Program mode. This suits my purpose very well as I often shoot landscape photos. MTF priority is unfamiliar to me, I don't know what its purpose is.
07-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #55
Pentaxian

MTF stands for modulation transfer function and is a useful measure of image quality. MTF Program mode prioritises the highest quality aperture available for the EV reading.
07-04-2021, 01:48 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
MTF stands for modulation transfer function and is a useful measure of image quality. MTF Program mode prioritises the highest quality aperture available for the EV reading.
So it's a mode specifically for pixel peepers?
07-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #57
Pentaxian

I was today years old when I discovered the Q cameras have a mode called "blur control" -- there is a BC on the mode dial and everything. It merges multiple images (jpg only) to give you a guaranteed blurred background. I have three Q bodies -- two Q7s and an original Q. Learn something every day.
12-10-2021, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

I was "playing" with my K-01 this afternoon and discovered that, if I set the Custom Image to Monochrome (BW), I end up with a b&w image on the LiveView screen … wow! a monochrome viewfinder!
I rarely use LiveView with my other cameras, except for the occasional awkward angle shot, so this was a concept that had never occurred to me
I'm rather anticipating some compositional advantages with this new-found feature
12-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kypfer,

It's kind of been mentioned earlier, but just tying some strings together...

Black and white is my "happy place".

If you go into the Monochrome (BW) setting, 'info' allows 'parameter adj.' here you can customize the black & white image to your liking (filters / toning / high-low key / contrast / sharpness). And if you forget where you start just hit the green button.

I'm shooting 100% manual so there may be some differences with automatic lenses that I'm not aware of.

Enjoy!
12-12-2021, 03:54 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JoelA Quote
Kypfer,
It's kind of been mentioned earlier, but just tying some strings together...
Black and white is my "happy place".
If you go into the Monochrome (BW) setting, 'info' allows 'parameter adj.' here you can customize the black & white image to your liking (filters / toning / high-low key / contrast / sharpness). And if you forget where you start just hit the green button.
I'm shooting 100% manual so there may be some differences with automatic lenses that I'm not aware of.
Enjoy!
Thanks for the detail Really appreciate the feedback!
I too was very happy in a b&w world for a long time, darkroom and all, before being "dragged into" colour in the '80's.
Over the years I slowly lost the ability to visualise a scene in monochrome, it's only now I've got the time and inclination to try and regain some of that magic

I was (reasonably) aware of the 'parameter adjust' feature, my "discovery" was that I could do it in "real time", via the LiveView screen, on my newer cameras, rather than having to make an exposure using the optical viewfinder then assessing the result in Playback mode.
Real old-time dyed-in-the-wool operator here, having trouble moving on from my *istDS, which is my current 'semi-permanent' M42 body, so well aware of the "100% manual" concept
Looks like I'll be re-purposing some of my cameras!