Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2021, 04:27 PM - 2 Likes   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It wasn't until less than a year ago that I discovered my K-5 was Astrotracer capable (with the OGPS-1) until I updated the firmware. And it works! Before that, I thought the only way I could do it was with my K-3 II or KP.

12-15-2021, 03:05 AM   #62

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After like half of the year of reading a manual and messing with settings of my K-S2 I discovered the mighty power of Green Button and Optical Preview of depth of field. I think the possibility to change the focusing screen is one of those things too.

To be honest, I still encounter new, fun features, like in some kind of journey.
12-15-2021, 03:34 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never tried back button auto focus until recently. I guess I knew it was a thing, but never bothered setting it up. Now have it set up on both of my main bodies...but I'm still forgetting about it sometimes!
12-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In the last year I have started, occasionally, using the "Radiant" jpeg profile on my K-3. Previously dismissed as horrendously garish, I've found that it's good for the times that I see something which to the naked eye stands out due to it's colour, but when photographed often seems flat and dull and simply cranking up saturation and/or contrast in another profile just sends it over-the-top. I do usually have to tone it down a little in the fine-tuning, but it's good to finally be able to produce something that's much closer to what I saw with my own eyes.

01-28-2024, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know when this magic turned up, but I got the nod in a thread on here somewhere (lost it now), anyhow:

On the K-1ii with C26 enabled, you can be in Av, TV, P or Sv on a manual lens without contacts eg an M 50 f1.7 and just set the aperture on the lens and shoot. No green button metering is required.
Exposure compensation works as normal.
Perhaps this was in a firmware update or there all the time, but I have just seen it working. I've always used the green button to set the exposure before.
01-28-2024, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's very cool.
01-28-2024, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I don't know when this magic turned up, but I got the nod in a thread on here somewhere (lost it now), anyhow:

On the K-1ii with C26 enabled, you can be in Av, TV, P or Sv on a manual lens without contacts eg an M 50 f1.7 and just set the aperture on the lens and shoot. No green button metering is required.
Perhaps this was in a firmware update or there all the time, but I have just seen it working. I've always used the green button to set the exposure before.
They introduced functionality like that on the K-3iii at some point in the not so distant past ... I'd imagine the K-1ii was upgraded at the same time ... it's a very handy feature

01-28-2024, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW...

Works for M42 also! And beyond Takumars.

Just playing around with a 1954 A. Schacht München Travenar 135 f/3.5.

Focus and then drop the aperture down to whatever and the camera meters it properly.

I can be lazy with old lenses now
01-28-2024, 03:09 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess it will not work on the K-1 (I)?
01-28-2024, 03:20 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

The camera (K-1 mII) won't stop the lens down in any automatic mode. You're shooting wide open regardless of where you've set your aperture.
01-29-2024, 12:31 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
The camera (K-1 mII) won't stop the lens down in any automatic mode. You're shooting wide open regardless of where you've set your aperture.
I set the aperture on the lens, not the body and the camera makes a correct exposure, whether I have set f1.7 or f16.
The exposure time varies, it is showing Av on the back the camera even in P or TV mode.
01-29-2024, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I set the aperture on the lens, not the body and the camera makes a correct exposure, whether I have set f1.7 or f16.
The exposure time varies, it is showing Av on the back the camera even in P or TV mode.
With a manual lens like the M 50/1.7, putting the camera to any of the auto modes will cause the camera to revert to Av.

In Av mode the camera will give a correct exposure by adjusting shutter speed, but always uses wide open aperture. It wont stop down the lens even if you put the aperture ring to f22.

The only way to have the lens stop down is to use M mode. This has been the way all Pentax DSLRs worked up until the K-3 III. That model operates differently.

Last edited by pschlute; 01-29-2024 at 12:59 AM.
01-29-2024, 01:51 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
With a manual lens like the M 50/1.7, putting the camera to any of the auto modes will cause the camera to revert to Av.

In Av mode the camera will give a correct exposure by adjusting shutter speed, but always uses wide open aperture. It wont stop down the lens even if you put the aperture ring to f22.

The only way to have the lens stop down is to use M mode. This has been the way all Pentax DSLRs worked up until the K-3 III. That model operates differently.
I don't understand this.
If I have physically set the lens aperture on the lens aperture ring to say f11, and I obtain a correct exposure it cannot use a wide open aperture?
01-29-2024, 02:16 AM   #74
Pentaxian

I don't understand this.
If I have physically set the lens aperture on the lens aperture ring to say f11, and I obtain a correct exposure it cannot use a wide open aperture?
Yes it can, if the ISO is low enough to allow the camera to raise the shutter speed sufficiently to give a correct exposure.
You'd need to check the EXIF of the image to confirm that the shutter speed and ISO are consistent with the aperture you set for the given light conditions ... suspicion is that the ISO will be low and shutter speed inordinately high.
01-29-2024, 02:49 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I guess it will not work on the K-1 (I)?
It does, to my surprise.