Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2020, 04:36 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Online Photographer (Mike Johnston) pleased with K-New OVF, name-drops...

...Pentax Forums, @Mistral75, @panoguy

The Online Photographer: The Viewfinder of the New Pentax

QuoteQuote:
Pentax, an old friend
That's why I was pleased to learn that Pentax is paying special attention to the viewfinder of its upcoming new APS-C flagship camera, as yet unnamed. Bad luck for Pentax, which doesn't release very many truly new cameras, that it planned to launch its new flagship reduced-sensor-size DSLR at CP+, which normally would have taken place at the dual venues of Pacifico Yokohama and Osanbashi Hall in Yokohama, Japan, in February. Of course it was cancelled this year, so the introduction is on hold.

A video's been released that indicates something pleasing, though, which is that Pentax has paid special attention to the viewfinder. It will reportedly have a magnification of 1.05x (that's magnification, not coverage), making it as generously and luxuriously sized as a full-frame camera's viewfinder. This is particularly smart now that DSLRs are in decline and EVFs are proliferating—the one thing an EVF can't do is give you a direct view of the real world, letting the photographer see the real colors of the subject and the subtleties of the actual light.

05-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that is very interesting! I figured the COVID 19 pandemic would delay the new camera's release date.

I agree also with his comment regarding a truly good fast 24mm prime lens. Hard to find one of any brand, however, that can deliver sharp edges as well as central area. But it can be done. My Sigma 24mm f/1.8 FF lens isn't bad when used on APS-C, and for the price.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-22-2020 at 05:12 PM.
05-22-2020, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a true shame Ricoh (presumably RINA) stiffed Mike. Someone should quietly make that up. OF COURSE, LAWYERS.
05-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It is a true shame Ricoh (presumably RINA) stiffed Mike. Someone should quietly make that up. OF COURSE, LAWYERS.
Yeah, thinking about writing them a letter. Stiffing bloggers who otherwise like you seems awfully dumb these days....

05-23-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't read any photo blogs or online articles really, but whenever I've come across his posts he seems to have his head screwed on right...
05-23-2020, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yeah, thinking about writing them a letter. Stiffing bloggers who otherwise like you seems awfully dumb these days....
Makes me wonder what they might have done to DPR. I know the prior couple managers of RINA made some enemies in the business.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-23-2020 at 07:56 AM.
05-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

His request for a 24mm f2 or faster prime for his Pentax camera reminds me of my on requests for the exact same thing.

06-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was on APSC, he's a 35mm guy I thought. Reminds me, must send him the link to the 85mm Special site