Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2020, 08:12 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cross-Tilt LCD

There is an article by John Harris on B&H Explora about the variety of flipping and tilting LCD screens on cameras.

As expected, the article mostly focuses on Canon, Nikon, and the usual suspects, but Pentax gets a brief mention (with two pictures of the K1 II)

Of course, Pentax does its own thing with the “Cross-Tilt LCD” on the Pentax K1 Mark II DSLR, which enables alignment with the optical center of the camera when tilting down and up, or left to right. It’s worth checking out, if just for the rods that maneuver it.

No more is said about how well it operates compared to the more standard configurations, but the implication is that it is at least "cool". I like the "Pentax does its own thing" phrase, which neatly encapsulates why many of us are so enthusiastic about the brand.

05-24-2020, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The fully articulated screen on my K-70 was a consideration when I didn't trade it in for my KP. I don't use it often, but when I "need" it I'd struggle without it
05-24-2020, 03:57 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

All these test and comparisons are so incomplete, repeating mainstream themes, that they are just useless for the knowledgeable as well as the novice. It is really hard these days to identify educated articles on anything.
05-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #4

I once saw a K1 review where the reviewer extended and then shook the camera by holding on to the screen. Let's see any other camera handle that without snapping the screen right off.

05-25-2020, 12:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It handles massive amount of weight hanging from the screen itself before the rods slip out of their place. I tried that once with a broken K-1. No other system comes anywhere close just by looking at it. The basic tilt screens of Sony A7x, Nikon Z, Olympus or Fuji cameras are purely a toy when compared to K-1 system and I have owned those MILC-cameras before.
05-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, and I think that was on purpose

The K1 screen is weirdly strong, as befits a body that is mostly pro grade, and I think that's why Pentax took such an unorthodox approach---wish my Z had it. The (so far) absence of a tiltable screen on the new flagship apsc camera is interesting to me in this context.
05-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
"Pentax does its own thing"
Most manufacturers do, don't they? Pentax's 'things' are usually well thought out and useful, even unique. And K-1's are more affordable than their closest equivalent rivals, aren't they? I try to explain to people the bang-for-the-buck you get with Pentax.
05-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It's also important to note that the Cross-Tilt LCD is the fastest screen to operate: simply grab and pull. It's so strong that you don't have to be careful and delicate, so you can just "flick it out". Of course the drawback is that the weight and bulk are somewhat higher than other methods but it's well worth the trade-off IMO.