Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #1

K10 Quality issues

My K10 ceased functioning the first day of my vacation with a memory card read error. Fortunately it was under warranty and while I could not use at all during the vacation, the CF pins were replaced right before the warranty expired.

The camera came back from the repair shop (by now the warranty had expired), I took about 20 pictures and then got the same error message. This time the main PCB unit and the CF unit needs replacement ($359.34).

I am really getting concerned about the overall quality of the camera. Did anybody have similar problems or experiences?

Thanks,

Hermann

11-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #2

I'm sorry to hear about your issues.

A K100d super, 2 K10s and a K20 - no such problem has every occured for me.
11-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not here either.
Had a K100D and a K10D for over 2.5yrs combined - never a glitch.
Yours is unfortunate. Hope it works out.
11-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

seems like an unusual problem. My K10D is over 18 months old and over 18000 shots, and no problem at all. I am sure that it is a one off, and once it is back from repair, it will be fine.

11-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
My K10D has done north of 40,000 actuations over about 2 years and the only issue I've had (on, like 4 shots) is a 'unique' colour-effect monochrome green. Those instances were in nighttime outdoor conditions, and turning the camera off and then on again worked fine to restore it to normal working order. Otherwise, the thing has worked and is working beautifully. Sorry to hear about your problem, though
11-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hermann Lahr Quote
My K10 ceased functioning the first day of my vacation with a memory card read error. Fortunately it was under warranty and while I could not use at all during the vacation, the CF pins were replaced right before the warranty expired.

The camera came back from the repair shop (by now the warranty had expired), I took about 20 pictures and then got the same error message. This time the main PCB unit and the CF unit needs replacement ($359.34).

I am really getting concerned about the overall quality of the camera. Did anybody have similar problems or experiences?

Thanks,

Hermann
sorry to head about your delima, the only problem i have encountered with mine is that i dont get to use it as often as i want

Dave
11-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Damn Brit

I think your case is just sheer bad luck.
Soory man, that sucks.
11-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Am I the only one wondering why he got a problem with the CF pins and CF unit on a camera that uses SD cards?? Or does CF stand for something other than Compact Flash memorycards in this case?

If you are using CF cards in your K10D, no wonder you are having problems

Last edited by Shashinki; 11-02-2008 at 02:21 PM.
11-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Am I the wondering why he got a problem with the CF pins and CF unit on a camera that uses SD cards?? Or does CF stand for something other than Compact Flash memorycards in this case?

I think we all assumed he meant SD. But this does suggest something else - maybe there is something wrong the card that is screwing up the camera? Although from what I understand, SD is less problematic than CF in this regard.

Anyhow, this is definitely the first I've heard of a problem like this in my 3+ years with Pentax and visiting the various online forums pretty obsessively...
11-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Seven months and 8,500 shotsw with no problems at all.
11-02-2008, 04:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hermann, If pentax fixed your camera the repair is warranted for another year.
11-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Am I the wondering why he got a problem with the CF pins and CF unit on a camera that uses SD cards?? Or does CF stand for something other than Compact Flash memorycards in this case?

Hi there,

Definitely using SD cards. CF pins is what the Pentax shop calls them.

It would have been too easy.

Hermann
11-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hermann Lahr Quote

Thanks,

Hermann
I think you can consider the repair by pentax was not done, as the same fault came back immediately upon return, and as a result the camera is still under warranty.